Anything you'd do different?

I recently cut a piece of aluminum insulation (foil/bubble/foil) to fit under the factory mattress and the bed was much warmer, the foil bounces your body heat right back at you. I would bet this would solve the frigid air problem you get with an air mattress.

Hi Sam,

I get moisture under the mattress the part that extenends out. In the morning on cold nights I use a towel to help dry it out and flip mattress.

This aluminum insulation (foil/bubble/foil) that you now have I'm courious if it would be enough to prevent the moisture???

Patrick,

I don't know if it would help or not. The insulation is rated as a vapor barrier but that could keep moisture out or in depending on how it acts in relation to the material in the camper. I assume you mean the cab over portion of the bed, not the part that slides into the living space? I don't get moisture under my mattress that I have noticed (with or without insulation), but I can't say I've ever given it a good look either.

You can get the aluminum insulation at Home Depot I think Reflectix is the brand they cary, but I think the smallest roll is 25' and it's not cheap. I had some leftover from some remodeling I did on my house, if I had more I'd send it your way. Google "Radiant Barrier" or "Foil Insulation" and there should be lots of info & suppliers. Sorry I can't be of more help?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=reflectix&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Great thread. As someone on the verge of ordering a new camper/looking @ the options available it's very interesting to see what folks are/aren't happy with and the work-arounds they've come up with to address those problems.

All-in-all the options available seem to be tried/tested/true. I guess that's why it's so hard to not end up with a fully-loaded unit! LOL. :eek:

gulp.....;)

Even though we're into Summer temps now for the most part...here's another source/more options for "foil" type barriers

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft1_tekfoil_reflective_foil_insulation.html

Memory foam

I recently put 1 1/2" thick memory foam on my extended bed Grandby and it is a significant improvement in comfort. And it has the approval of the GF too. Initially, I was going to buy a queen size foam pad but a queen size is smaller than the Grandby bed. So I got a king size from Wally World for about $120, with intentions of cutting it to the exact size of the bed. But there was a cloth covering on the foam so I didn't cut it. There is about 6" of extra memory foam length that I just pushed to the front of the bed. I usually leave the bed made up and just remove the pillows before lowering the roof. The extra 1 1/2" of foam and a couple blankets doesn't seem to interfere with the lift panels or the roof closing. I highly recommend the memory foam.:thumb:

We use a double thermarest pad that's about two inches thick that we bought some years ago- it looks like you'd have to buy two singles if you wanted to go that route now since I don't find the doubles on their website anymore. The one we have is probably similar to what's currently called the basecamp model.

It's a huge improvement. Deflated and folded in half crosswise, we can still shut the roof over the thermarest with our down bags laid out on top. It's very comfortable, and they don't absorb moisture like the original foam mattresses. Highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom