Appropriate batteries for Hawk FB?

Sagefemme

Advanced Member
We bought our camper last month. The previous owner had just installed new batteries. I think he said the batteries he replaced were the originals from the factory (2016). He only owned the camper for about 10 months. I find electricity in general, and batteries in particular, somewhat mysterious. I'm guessing I can understand, it's just that in my 63 years I've had no need to understand. Until now!

Here's the data sheet on the batteries:
httpsstore-8xryzvxqo4.mybigcommerce.comcontentdata20sheetsAGM20GELPG2024AGM20Data20Sheet-PROO...jpeg

I hope that is legible if you enlarge.

My first question is, are these suitable batteries for our camper? Could I expect the batteries to keep up, given a 160 watt solar panel and the Dometic CR-80 refrigerator, on sunny days in summer? Or is that an impossible question to answer? I am concerned because for a few weeks I was leaving the refrigerator on (we were using the camper most weekends) with the camper in full sun, but not plugged in to shore power (I know, I know). For most of that time the Zamp solar controller would read 12.5 volts or so in the morning, before the sun got very high. But recently I left the camper (not thinking) on the shady side of the street and was alarmed to find the Zamp reading 11.2 in the morning. I think this is bad! But I don't really know! I plugged into shore immediately, then realized I should probably be plugged in always if I'm home and the refrigerator is running.

Second concern is, yesterday I decided to figure out what the solar controller/battery charger (Zamp ZS-30A) is telling me. After looking at the user's manual and back at the device I realized that it was set for a lithium battery!! It's hard to believe the previous owner had neglected to set the Zamp for AGM after putting in new batteries, since he seemed like a knowledgeable guy. I may have pressed those two buttons (amp/volt and battery type) at some point, but I don't think I changed the setting from AGM to LiFePO4 (the button has to be held down for 3 seconds to change battery type, and I know I never held it down like that). I also see from the manual that "the default setting is AGM battery; the controller will automatically memorize your battery type setting."

Between the deep discharge to 11.2 volts, and the possibility that the charger has been set to the wrong battery type, are these batteries likely to be damaged? How can I find out?

Attachments

• httpsstore-8xryzvxqo4.mybigcommerce.comcontentdata20sheetsAGM20GELPG2024AGM20Data20Sheet-PROO...jpeg
    httpsstore-8xryzvxqo4.mybigcommerce.comcontentdata20sheetsAGM20GELPG2024AGM20Data20Sheet-PROO...jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 14
PS: Last evening I unplugged from shore after the camper had been plugged in for 36 hours. The battery charger read 13.5 V when I unplugged. This morning at 6 am as the sun was just starting to hit the solar panel it read 12.6 V. All that was running overnight (11 pm to 6 am) was the refrigerator.

Please be merciful. :) I'm am figuring out, little by little, what I don't know!

More knowledgeable people than me will weigh in I am sure. I expect you are fine. In 4.5 years I have never plugged the camper into shore power. Still have the original factory batteries, which are fine - so far.

The first trip we went on after getting our 2019 Hawk new I freaked out when the charge went down to 10.8 or so. After a couple hours of franticly messing around and reading manuals we just said to heck with it and took our walk in Grand Gulch. When we returned the battery was back to full charge. Never had an issue in the 4 years since.

Our camper is on the street (no garage) all year.

I am starting to think about replacing those old batteries, but they still charge quickly and fully, so no panic.

You are just a little below typical resting voltage for 12VDC AGM batteries, which is pretty good considering your refrigerator was running. I don’t believe you have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom