ARB Twin Compressor on ‘19 Tundra

Jzack605

Advanced Member
I got an ARB twin compressor to install on my tundra. Looking to possibly try and tackle this tomorrow. This is the kit I have:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arb-ckmta12

I’m a complete noob to all of this. It seems simple enough, I’m ok with everything being under the hood including the switch if it makes things as simple and dummy proof as possible. Any advice? I think I could just get something that would work as a bracket for mounting at Home Depot? What else would I need other than a bracket? I have a 3/8” hose with a standard quick connect already that I would use at our local beaches compressor.

Make sure you connect the red yellow wire to a fuse that only has power when the ignition is on. The compressor will not work unless this wire is connected.

My Chevy had a mounting plate meant for a second battery. That is where I mounted my compressor. I also mounted the switch under the hood for ease of wiring. You must open the hood anyway to connect the air hose unless you run a quick connect port somewhere outside the vehicle.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/24840-on-board-air/

Congratulations! The ARB Twin is the best compressor on the market in my opinion. Given an engine-compartment mounting, I suggest opening the hood anyway when employing the compressor. The Twin is a fan-cooled unit, and while leaving the hood closed and engine on probably wouldn't damage it, it doesn't hurt to give it better circulation.

I noticed in one video they set it up to take the cold air from an air intake. Is this worth trying to do?

Jzack605 said:
I noticed in one video they set it up to take the cold air from an air intake. Is this worth trying to do?
Sounds like too much work, maybe fine if you needed to run it while driving for other things. Need to run the engine to get more amps from the alternator to run efficiently. Most pop the hood to dissipate heat from the engine bay and allows the heat to dissipate from the ARB unit fins to prevent heat soak. Most small motors are happy when they run cooler.

pvstoy said:
Sounds like too much work, maybe fine if you needed to run it while driving for other things. Need to run the engine to get more amps from the alternator to run efficiently. Most pop the hood to dissipate heat from the engine bay and allows the heat to dissipate from the ARB unit fins to prevent heat soak. Most small motors are happy when they run cooler.
apart from heat, this might be a good way to get cleaner air into the compressors.

You guys think a battery mount will be an economical option to mount the compressor?

I had mounted my ARB twin compressor to the frame of my truck. I also had an ARB air tank. It only lasted about 2 years. I think the heat and the abuse it took hanging down there in the dust and dirt. I ended up pulling it out and starting over with a portable unit. My take away is to mount somewhere cleaner than I did. I had maybe 2 hours of use by the time it no longer worked. If for some reason you want that tank- Im in san Diego.

No thanks to a tank. I ended up mounting mine under the hood a week or so ago.

Steve, did your ARB units have air filters on the intake? I have my dual VIAir setup mounted underneath the truck as well, and so far so good. The air filters sit up higher and are unlikely to ever suck water, never mind dust.

Vic Harder said:
Steve, did your ARB units have air filters on the intake? I have my dual VIAir setup mounted underneath the truck as well, and so far so good. The air filters sit up higher and are unlikely to ever suck water, never mind dust.
no air filters. That being said, when it was running I was pulled over without much dust swirling around. I think the engine bay is a better place.

Installed the compressor a little while ago and my fiance got me a morflate four way inflation hose set up. I then converted my single tire inflation hose to a blow gun. Really happy with this set up!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom