ARB X-Jack?

camper101

Still figuring out my recovery setup...

Anybody have experience using an ARB X-Jack (or other air jack) with a camper?

The jack is rated 4400 lbs. I'm assuming I'd only lift 1 wheel (maybe 2) at a time, so I'm wondering how the math works.

A Tacoma weighs somewhere around 4k. I've got a shell weighing 700 lbs dry, but let's say I pack extra beer/gear and it's at 1000. So the total is around 5K, and I'm assuming I'll lift AT MOST (?) half of the weight with a jack.

The goal is just to have more arrows in the quiver than I do now for basic forest road recovery:
  • Flat tires on uneven ground
  • Drive a little too far off the edge of a snowy road
  • Maybe lift a wheel or two to put some dirt/rocks under it so I can drive off
I've looked at Hi-Lifts and (I know opinions vary) I think an air jack is a better option for me:
  • I don't intend to use it ever, but if I do I will be out of practice because it'll have sat in the truck for a few years (which would be foolish with a hi-lift)
  • It also seems like a simple and light set of equipment: no need for the extra stuff you'd need to take full advantage of a hi-lift
  • I've got a stock bumper and rails
Again, I'm not a hardcore offroader, but occasionally I forget to get out and walk ahead to scout things out. So I'd like to be able to get myself or somebody else out of trouble 90% of the time.

Thank you!

I have an X Jack. I have used it once to lift one wheel on my Taco with an Eagle camper. Worked fine. No issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom