Arctic pack questions

davinski

So, was out in the camper the other day, got down to the low 30s here in WA. No heater in the shell, thank goodness for my 'little buddy'. Kept it nice and warm with a little propane!

So I got to wondering, how much does the arctic pack help? Worth it? Should I make my own? Can you leave it on even in summer?

My shell has velcro on the bottom, but I have none on the top. Would not know where to attach it up there. I've never actually seen a camper with this option....

So, your opinions would be welcome for temps down into the double digits....Also, how does it attach? Do I have to retrofit? Anyone have any non standard home made arctic packs? I putt foil backed bubble insulation on all the windows....that helped a bit. I don't like running the heater when I am asleep, and have found new use for my older down comforters. It is that first few steps out of the bed in the morning that is so hard.....

Thanks, all.

Dave

a member, oly (dave), has it and i have seen it in person. really appears to be a good, solid option for cold weather camping. i would get it in a heartbeat if not for 2 rather big issues...i am in MT., ATC/FWC are in CA. and the price, $450 for the liner and another $450 for install since i have an older camper (92'-93' ranger II). so i am holding off until i need to replace the liner itself. i would keep it in in the summer as well, personally. it looks cool, keeps it dark (with the windows up) and i would assume, acts to keep cool air in as well as it does warm air. if your camper has built in velcro i would do it...i am bummed, but apparently it is quite the operation to install it in a liner without the velcro :( . anyway, couple thoughts....

here is a picture of what the velcro strip looks like that gets installed in the campers these days (in case you want to add the arctic package option later) ...

Attachments

• Arctic package pre velcro strip.jpg
    Arctic package pre velcro strip.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 589
Thanks for the replies.
I don't have that top velcro strap....first time I have really noticed it...thanks for the pic. I don't have that. I do have the velcro at the bottom, though.

So, If I understand this correctly, this is a velcro piece that is hanging down from the ceiling? Is it from the corner, or is it slightly inside from the corder.

If I were to apply velcro to the pop up materia, then use a spacer on a home made arctic pack would I not be creating the dead airspace that is needed for this to work?

I'm hoping someone who has made one will chime in.....I'll have to see if it is worth it.

Thanks everyone.

Dave

Dave, If the Little Buddy works why change success? Before we got the LB we used an Origo heat pal. It worked well but since we already carry propane bottles for the camp stove I got the LB. We've been in b-low 30 temps and it heats the FWC great. But as I said before I think a Coleman lantern would heat that small space and a good sleeping bag and Pam help a lot

never hear of anyone making one themselves...seems like a possibility...i think that in order to install the velcro the liner material needs to be removed from the camper...making it an extensive operation...could be wrong though...let us know what you discover...thanks

I think it would be pretty doable with say furniture blankets. I use a good home machine to sew canvas and other projects. You take your time and it will work however if the Little Buddy works I say KISS.

wow, i stand corrected! thanks mike!

lqhikers...could we see some pics? still doesn't solve the velco issue however as their camper was prevelcro'ed...still love to see some pics though!

cheers!

Yeah, I like the KISS approach. Will continue with heater and see how it goes. IF still too cold, I will probably add some velcro to the wall and put something like felt or fleece to see how it works.....That's a big project. Now if that little buddy had a remote start........

dave

little buddy is the man! let us know how this project goes...the arctic pack to me seems like agreat option not available to those of us with older campers...and yes...lqhikers apparently has made everything :D !

Seems everyone thinks alike.....Maybe it is time to concentrate on getting a little woman......would be much more comfy.....but that's another topic all together....

dave

Seems to me you would have pretty good success with just gluing a velcro strip on it, but I don't know how heavy the pack is. Lucky me, mine came with the velcro. Now to find a nice cheap used one.

Craig333:

I hope you mean an arctic pack and not your very own "little buddy", if you know what I mean. Must be friday. Get me outta here....

dave

home made arctic pack (with hippie look)

as above re-direct to one of my eairler posts ( i still cant figure out how to show posts in replys) i made mine out of a king size bed quilt.i buy velcro from a wholesale uph outlet (keystone fabrics)by the roll 100ft.pays for itself as i use velcro for lots of things. my eagle shell came with velcro ,so all i had to do was sew other side to quilt material,leave enough to tuck into end supports and you are good to go. reading that davinski does not have top velcro i checked out top of eagle,you can feel a roof rib that is on edge,feels like about 1'' of surface. as i have read in other posts (i think Ben at ATC said it) that you can staple to alum rib if you have a heavy enough stapler.i tried it with my stapler it works.if you do not have one i would think that you could come up with a small piece of moulding or even a thin piece of alum sew the velcro to a 3'wide strip of naugahide then attach to rib on roof then trim with moulding.cheap fix pretty easy and you can choose your own desigh of material,hope this helps.pics show pad mounted ,end section to tuck in ,velcro on pad and storage sack with two side's stuffed in (we use sack as extra lounge pillow) i thought of using furn pads but after lifting one (the ones i have are real heavy maybe a cheaper one would be lighter) my better half donated the spread(Idaho spread do not need here in desert!)drive slow and enjoy "its the journey)

Attachments

• DSCF0668 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0668 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCF0671 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0671 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCF0670 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0670 (Small).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCF0672 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0672 (Small).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 470
lqhikers: Thanks VERY much for showing this. I was planning to make my own Arctic Pack, but hadn't seen any home-mades yet.

How does it do in terms of absorbing moisture; do you need to dry it periodically? I was thinking of a thick fleece, or maybe two regular fleece layers to trap more air. Would I want a water resistant outer (inner?) layer? I really like the idea to use as a pillow.

Erod: stop by LJH sometime and say hi.

--KngBee

artic pack

The original artic packs are made out of the same material as a Wolf brand car cover. It is breathable and does not have a problem with moisture build up.

As LQ points out though, just about anything will work that will create the dead air barrier on the inside of the camper.

The Velcro strips that we put in are put in under the liner. To do that after the fact is a major chore.

You could probably buy self stick Velcro and attach it to the liner along the top. Then when you build the artic pack just make the top thick enough to Velcro in place and create the 1" dead air space. Just make sure that you use the loop on one side and the hook on the other side for what you put in. Would hate to see someone go to all that work and put the same Velcro on each piece.

Back
Top Bottom