Arctic pak

Squatch said:
Do these have opening windows that match the vinyl?
yes. I didn't get it on my first Hawk thinking it would be a frustration. Not so on my second Hawk.

I've ordered it on my new Grandby Flatbed. Actually I'd like to come up with some sort of batt insulation between the two to give more warmth. But that's a different thread!

Search for "site:www.wanderthewest.com reflectix external insulation artic pack" on Google. You will find several threads related to using Reflectix, fleece, etc as added insulation.

Paul

We keep ours on year-round - it helps insulate in the heat as well. It has Velcro window covers; just one simple added step and the windows are opened.

Thermal pack makes a HUGE difference in cold weather. I cant believe how warm we have been staying while the outside is below 20 degrees. These should almost be standard equipment.

BillTheHiker said:
Have been thinking about ordering one. Can the FWC arctic pak be left up when the roof is lowered?
Yes, I never remove it except when cleaning... Both on my ATC and on the now sold Grandby.

We've never taken ours down. Only wipe behind it sometimes to remove condensation in the AM. I must say, it is nice to have. We've had multiple nights where it dipped to teens outside and with the furnace it was nice and cozy overnight and then warm in the AM when we turned up the heat. Full disclosure though: we've never slept without it, so you may be fine without one...

Hi y'all, well I live in Florida and have been thinking of getting it to help with the AC. Has it helped anyone? I see threads all the time about it working in cold and hot weather.
Also do you think I can just order one from the dealer to fit my Raven?

ofc11066 said:
Hi y'all, well I live in Florida and have been thinking of getting it to help with the AC. Has it helped anyone? I see threads all the time about it working in cold and hot weather.
Also do you think I can just order one from the dealer to fit my Raven?
Yes, it helps so much in the heat that I leave mine in all year. If you can't get it from the dealer, you can order directly from FWC and they will ship it to you.

Ill bite on this discussion too. I know it has been talked about many times before but actuallylly wrote sailrite about the artic linear.

I too am planning on making my own and was planning on useing the evolution block it material
https://www.sailrite.com/Evolution-Block-It-Grey-55-Fabric

Sailrite wrote back and did not think this was the right material for the job. Can anyone confirm this material is infact the same stuff the stock artic linear is from FWC?

The description of the material specifically list breathability as a feature. And I was under the impression the whole point of the linear was to make a dead air space between the artic linear and the pop-up material? Wouldn't breathability not help towards this goal of trapping air and helping insulate.

Please chime on what material if FWC actually uses or if my understanding of the functionality is off.

Thanks. - Tim

PaulT said:
102 degrees inside is a distinct improvement over 180 degrees inside. :p
IMHO

Paul

Not certain but I think Idahoron's premise is that outside and inside temps will eventually come into equilibrium unless cold air or heat is introduced inside. The time this takes might allow the sun to set and outside to cool down before the inside gets equal to outside temps. So we insulate to maximize that lag period temp difference.

So yes, 102 outside will eventually become 102 inside.. 180 degrees inside would require adding heat inside..

Hell, I might be wrong or missing something... :D

Phil

Phil,
(We need a tongue in cheek emoticon.)

Just temps in a closed car rise quickly to dangerous temps in direct sun, the camper can rise above ambient in the same conditions.

There is nothing magic about the artic pak. It simply delays heat transfer for some time as temperature changes outside. Sometimes, that is sufficient to improve or retain comfort for a while as the outside heats up. For us in hot weather, it may be long enough to break camp and get into the A/C cab and start moving to the next spot.

In hot weather, you can hold your hand first near the artic pak and then slide it between the two layers at a window & feel the temp difference. Part of the improvement may come from delayed radiated heat from the tent material directly in the sun from warming cabinets, cushions, etc. Eventually, of course, inside & outside temps will equalize with air exchange.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom