Are there level assists on the Fleet? what tools do you use?

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
Does the Fleet come with level assists (bubbles) on sides and/or back of camper? to assist your leveling process of your rig? If not, what have folks installed and/or tools you use to confirm a level park? we have already got a bag of the Lynx levelers...just trying to be "prepared" when we take delivery of our new Fleet in December...thanks for any suggestions...

I bought level bubbles but never installed them. I just "eyeball" - good enough. I just make sure my head is uphill just slightly and the front to back is reasonable. Works for us.

I parked in a level spot and used a simple center bubble level to verify camper was level. I then found a spot on the truck console that read the same bubble position. It happened to be on the truck console. I now use that as my level when setting up camp.

It isn't perfect as there is some chassis flex in the truck between cab & bed, but it has been good enough. Have gotten fairly good at eyeballing the bubble and estimating the leveling block stack to place under each tire.

Ditto to DaveL's approach to ensuring my head is on uphill side if not dead level. Having a compressor fridge means level isn't as important as with a 3-way fridge.

Actually, a level app on my phone works pretty well also.
Paul

Brad, we use the little bullseye bubbles and/or the app on our phones to fine tune our level. I don't want anything mounted to the camper.

We stuck a pair of these on our Fleet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXBAJBO/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CXBAJBO&pd_rd_r=0ZFCEQ2CTVGJE5NTMED8&pd_rd_w=TSkVr&pd_rd_wg=jyzmt&psc=1&refRID=0ZFCEQ2CTVGJE5NTMED8

The clear ones (as opposed to fluorescent green ones) blend in well on the silver spur exterior.

I also have one of these that fits perfectly in the bottom of the cup holder - which happens to be coplanar with the truck bed on a 2016 Tacoma. It lets you get at least close from the drivers seat, but maybe a touch too sensitive:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YZTCZ8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mostly eyeball also though I have used the level app on my phone. A slight tilt left to right is okay as long as I don't slide downhill. Front to back is more crucial. I don't want to roll off the bed :)

I find I can estimate level from the cab ±2º by just look and feel. Like PaulT, I found a place in the cab that is level with the bed and use my iPhone level app to verify (and I try to get to 1º).

For me, standing in a non-level camper is more uncomfortable than sleeping (if head high and not sliding out of bed). Probably got used to sleeping non-level from years of backpacking.

It also helps to know how much height one needs to add to a wheel to change 1º.

jim

Currently using a 1 foot level on the sink counter and eye ball it. This works pretty well; however, ran across this product which looks kind of interesting and eventually will probably give it a try. It's made for trailers but works well on truck campers according to the inventor.

http://www.revoleveler.com/

This product tells you how much you need to raise it to get it level.

I like bubble levels in the cab. Just easier to be able to see the bubbles while in the drivers seat. I have also used a level app on my phone, which does work well except I never have found a nice place to put the phone in the cab while leveling the camper. So the bubble level in the cab is my current tool.

Steve

The cheapo Hopkins levels we use can also give you an idea of how much you need to raise each side to get level. Ours have some sort of gradation on them (I don't think it is degrees), and in using them we have realized that 1 tick on the level is equal to about 1 of the lynx leveler blocks for side to side and 2 blocks for front to back. It is not super precise, but we can look at it and immediately know we will need ~4 blocks under the front wheels to be about level. The ratio of ticks to blocks is dependent on your wheel base, so it may be different for other trucks.

strayDog said:
Currently using a 1 foot level on the sink counter and eye ball it. This works pretty well; however, ran across this product which looks kind of interesting and eventually will probably give it a try. It's made for trailers but works well on truck campers according to the inventor.

http://www.revoleveler.com/

This product tells you how much you need to raise it to get it level.

The iPhone's Compass app, which comes with it, also contains a level that reads in degrees.

That's what I use...

For some reason I never thought of finding a good spot in the truck cab to use it when behind the wheel for initial leveling. Duh!!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Most of the time I just "eye ball" it.
Then once the top is popped I use one of my 1/2 gal plastic water bottles
which has ribs in it to level things.
Most of the time the rule of thumb, if you are comfortable the camper is close.
But will have to try the iPhone level.
Frank

thanks folks for all the great, practical suggestions...

just "Amazoned" a bubble level and set of the Hopkins levels to mount on the camper... we should be good to go... like the idea of the bubble level in the truck...suspect I can get to 90% or better level while parking, then use Rando's 1 to 1/2 to 2/etc. guide using our lynx levelers blocks... check this off my list... :D

We purchased a couple stick on levels, one one front left and one on the drivers side rear. They have been great. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom