Artic Package????

rosirodrig

We are considering installing the Artic Pack to our Hawk for the winter. Does anyone out there have it and if so, do you have any comments, suggestions?????
Rosi and Perry

We have the Arctic Pack and have never used it. On winter X-country ski trips last year we would spend 5 nights at a wack at 0 degrees F. The heater is so effective that we could only run it intermittently to keep the camper comfortable. Unless you are heading to 30 below zero country, save the expense.

Real Arctic

Whether on not to have the artic package depends on how you will use your camper. First, I wish to point out that these aluminum frame campers are not as warm as stick and tin campers. If I were planning to live in a truck camper all winter, I believe I would prefer an S&S hard side camper that is designed for elk hunting, etc. Second choice would be an Alaskan. But, comparisons with other campers is off subject and apples and oranges.

I agree with Jon&Sue. The heater is so good that it provides all the warmth needed for cloths changing, getting up in the morning, etc. The new boot material is thick vinyl covered material which is adequate for most situations. On occasions when the weather was really severe, we have slept with the top down. We have a Keystone and it sleeps well in the down position. This might not be practical with one of the tiny units.

So – evaluating the original question; If I had a unit that was not comfortable or could not be used easily in the down position, and/or I was planning to camp in one spot, stay inside my FWC/ATC camper, read a book and look out at Winter for pleasure, I would want better insulation than comes standard with these campers. Not only would I have a good insulated liner over the boot, I would want heavy drapes covering most of the side walls, plus extra insulation all round. I would want a stronger roof for snow with a bit of crown built into it, better roof insulation and double pane windows. The furnace serves two purposes in really cold weather. It warms the interior, and it dries out the interior which picks up a lot of moisture over a week of so of camping. The interior of the camper should be easily heated with a very small amount of energy in order to dry out the interior every day. Naked aluminum loves condensate. Everywhere an aluminum frame member is in contact with the exterior and interior at the same time, moisture will condense.

Our lightweight aluminum popup campers are fine for well prepared outdoors people, such as cross country skiers. However, these campers were never intended to be real winter campers. The Turtle Expedition people pretty well came to that conclusion and designed and built a true winter truck camper after using a FWC on several expeditions. Living in a FWC/ATC month after month through a Yukon winter would be tough, though I’m not saying it could not be done.

I never used the arctic pack on my last camper and I skipped it on the one I just ordered. I am not a dead-of-winter camper though. You won't need the arctic pack for those spring and fall freezing nights, but it may be a valuable option if you plan a lot of winter camping.

Don't forget that the Arctic Pack can also keep the camper cooler in hot climates. I don't have one but plan on making one for this reason. If you are handy & cheap I'd say skip the expensive factory option & make one yourself.

my camper was too old to have the arctic pack feature included so i was left no choice but to make my own...at the time i had a talented sewer to help in its construction so it wasn't that bad but it also wasn't the easiest thing in the world either. personally, i like the look and usability of the factory model. you can keep it on when you close the topper and the look is nice and clean and it has window (mine doesn't). if i was spending the money on a new or newer camper model i would certainly invest the extra $500 or so dollars for the factory arctic pack.

as far as the effectiveness of the one i made...it works well, noticeably warmer in the colder climates with it intact...i wrote it up on a minor thread here somewhere...short search should get you there...just my $.02...cheers

Back
Top Bottom