AT or Rotopax for ATC Build

Ronin

Hi All : I've put my order in for a new ATC Panther Shell. One of the options I want is either an AT gas can holder or a Rotopax mounted on the rear. I don't have any experience with Rotopax, but I've read about some of you experiencing leaks along the seam or the can becoming warped or bowled. I like the low profile look of the Rotopax but I'm also wondering about how much of a problem it is to manipulate the CARB pour spout. What are your thoughts about these issues? Also, what size would you recommend?

Thanks!!

I have two AT can holders mounted on the back of my Panther shell and we love them. Jeff & Marty did the install for us as part of our build. We mostly use them to transport extra water as opposed to fuel. When not in use for fuel/water stowage they make for handy towel racks, a place to hang a trash bag or a convenient shelf so I don't misplace my beer. :D

I ordered my Wavian cans from jerrycans.com. I also ordered an extra set of regular spouts, way easier than having to deal with the CARB compliant standard issue.

We watch the weight of everything on our truck. Therefore, we went with the rotopax, Cons are that we're limited to three gallon containers - unless we wanted to stack; we don't. Also the heavy plastic can swells in the sun with fuel expansion. Traditional jerry cans give you 5 gallons.

Our extra gas is only insurance. In all these years we have never used the extra gas.

We also have 2 jerry can racks on our camper. We use the Scepter brand military cans and spout which avoids the problems of the carb compliant spouts. As Tuff Guy said, one advantage is that the racks can be used for both fuel or water (I guess this is true for Rotopax also). We also use them to carry ammo cans with an adapted strap that I made when not needed for fuel.

We use the fuel cans for insurance and to extend our range. They also can help mitigate the cost of expensive gas by filling up at cheaper gas spots and using it in areas where gas is expensive.

When I got my Bobcat, Marty recommended Rotopax. My only complaint is they rub the paint under the container. Ski3pin made a shim system that prevents that, so maybe we can twist his arm into a photo, and source for the corner shim buttons.

My gas cans are 3 gallon, the water is 2 gallon.

ski3pin said:
We watch the weight of everything on our truck. Therefore, we went with the rotopax, Cons are that we're limited to three gallon containers - unless we wanted to stack; we don't. Also the heavy plastic can swells in the sun with fuel expansion. Traditional jerry cans give you 5 gallons.

Our extra gas is only insurance. In all these years we have never used the extra gas.
To you and Wandering Sagebrush - do you have any issues using the CARB compliant spout? When I spec'd my build, Marty recommended the AT can holder because he thought the Rotopax CARB spout was a pita. I've used the same jerry cans for years and use an old non compliant spout. Whether you can get fined for that is not an issue I'm wanting to debate on this thread thank you!

Throw the CARB compliant spouts away, they suck! I ordered the regular spouts from Rotopax. If law requires you have them in the can, and you think you might get checked, keep them, but use a regular spout when pouring.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Throw the CARB compliant spouts away, they suck! I ordered the regular spouts from Rotopax. If law requires you have them in the can, and you think you might get checked, keep them, but use a regular spout when pouring.
Thanks - good to know that the regular spouts are available.

If you opt for the jerry can carrier then you can use this instead if water is more important than fuel:
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/water-solutions/tanks-mounts/front-runner-plastic-water-jerry-can-with-tap.html

front-runner-plastic-water-jerry-can-with-tap-WTAN002-1.jpg

Step up for their better, brass spigot, it's significantly better than the plastic spigot.

Thanks all. I'm learning towards getting both setups. Since I won't have a sink the AT carrier would be a perfect place to carry water!

ntsqd said:
Looks like the ArmoDillo is NLA, at least @ REI.

A friend uses one of these, which I *think* will fit in the AT carrier: https://www.rei.com/product/153389/scepter-water-container-20-liters5-gal

We carry one of these inside with drinking water while the tank carries washing water: https://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal
I have 2 of the Scepter 10L water containers which for the most part are great but you have to tip it over to pour water out of it. The Front Runner container looks promising because of the water spigot.

I have only one trip on our Front Runner container, not enough use on it yet to make a valid comment.

Ronin said:
I have 2 of the Scepter 10L water containers which for the most part are great but you have to tip it over to pour water out of it. The Front Runner container looks promising because of the water spigot.
I saw a write-up somewhere of the use of a super-siphon with the Scepter cans. Put a valve on the end of the hose. Once the siphon is started you're good to go. Looked like a good simple solution.

Looking at these 4 gal containers, I can't wrap my head around the size. They are 20x9.5x13.5" each. 5 of them = 20gal... and would be 100 x 9.5" x 13.5". My FWC 20 gal tank is only 25 x 14 x 14. I was thinking I might use portable tanks like these for the PUMA build, but this makes no sense, space wise.

I'm thinking I must be missing something here... :unsure:

Vic Harder said:
. . . 4 gal containers . . .They are 20x9.5x13.5" each.

I'm thinking I must be missing something here... :unsure:
1 US gallon = 231 cu.in.

20" X 9.5" X 13.5" = 2565 cu.in.

2565 (cu.in) / 231(cu.in/gal) = 11.1 gallons

Doesn't work for mm or cm either.

Back
Top Bottom