AT Overland fuel can holder - fuel can help.

Adventurebound

Hello FWC fam. Just purchased an AT Overland fuel can holder for my thirsty new Power Wagon and thought I had the correct can to fit but found out Scepter makes two different cans. Turns out the one I need, and is in the photo as an example on the webpage, isn't even for sale in the US? What have others used to fit in these brackets?

https://atoverland.com/products/at-can-holder-scepter

You can find those cans in the U.S. Might have to search a bit and pay a premium. Bunch of them on Ebay. Prices vary a lot.

That looks just like the plastic ones I have. They are military surplus. The forest service used them before being forced to throw them away because the are not CARB compliant. Which I think is why they have disappeared. Good quality nozzles are really hard to find

But it should be a standardize size. I just looked and they are only slightly taller than the metal German NATO can that I have but the same width. Something like this may work (it is slightly smaller) - https://www.grainger.com/product/FLAME-SHIELD-Gas-Can-491K35

I personally wouldn't try to buy an older plastic screw top can. The lids can get stuck and the spigots are hard to find.

I thought you could buy different "straps" the holder from AT for different cans? That seems less expensive than new can(s)?

I'd also recommend not buying the plastic style NATO Scepter cans. I ran those for years after reading good things on them. Even with new gaskets, they leaked. Refueling was a pain and always got gas dribbling down the side of them and onto the ground, onto my truck, etc.

A blessing in disguise happened when some a-hole stole 2 of 3 of my cans off my Land Cruiser. They were locked, inside my garage.

I went and purchased 2 of the metal Wavian 20L cans and they are 100x better and easier to use. I'd do what you can to use them with your AT can holder!

bajaphile said:
I'd also recommend not buying the plastic style NATO Scepter cans. I ran those for years after reading good things on them. Even with new gaskets, they leaked. Refueling was a pain and always got gas dribbling down the side of them and onto the ground, onto my truck, etc.

A blessing in disguise happened when some a-hole stole 2 of 3 of my cans off my Land Cruiser. They were locked, inside my garage.

I went and purchased 2 of the metal Wavian 20L cans and they are 100x better and easier to use. I'd do what you can to use them with your AT can holder!
I have 2 of the Scepter 5 gal water cans. I have the same problem with them not sealing well. They mount on their sides on my Ruger Trailer and I always lose the top couple of inches of water from them.

You can buy the strap for the regular jerry can from AT. They charge a ridiculous $35.00 plus $30.00 for shipping. I ordered one and they shipped the wrong one. They replaced it but shipped it regular USPS vs the FedEX they charged me on the initial order. Funny how when it's on their dime they used the cheapest shipping method possible.

I have been looking at these trying to figure out what to do for extra fuel too. Just wondering if it might be easier and maybe cheaper to return it and get the Wavian one? Have you mounted it?

Wavian cans are great. Own 2 20l, 2 10l, and one 5l. Works great on 2 stroke mix for chainsaws as metal cans extend the freshness of fuel way longer than plastic.

So a couple more questions on this. Is the actual holder the same size between the Nato holder and Wavian? Is it just the strap that is different? Assuming since I can't find a Wavian fuel can I can just order a new strap and get a Nato can.

Secondly, did they redesign the mounting bracket? I thought it also screwed into the camper at the jack plates? This one is simply a peice of angled aluminum? And it's too large and sticks out past the jack plate? Did I order the wrong one? Plus the lower support mount is about 1/3 the width of the others I have seen. Basically just a 1 1/2 strap of aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_160046344_HDR_compress85.jpg
    IMG_20210109_160046344_HDR_compress85.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 190
Hmmm. Not sure, I’ve only seen one in person and I think he just fabricated his own out of angle and stock as they are pretty pricy. But in looking for myself I noticed they do ask to notify them of the camper year since apparently the jack brackets got raised awhile back. Did you drill those or did they come predrilled? Would flipping it over do anything?
This is all for my good too.

@Adventurebound, I am in the same boat as you. What did you end up doing? I ordered the "scepter" style but from what I am reading regarding Wavian, although costly, seems to be the much better option.

According to the AT overland website, the dimensions of the holder are actually the same between "NATO-style" and "scepter-style" but that the strap is shaped differently to fit the can.

I'm hoping AT overland will take an exchange of the strap so I can go with a Wavian-style. Alternatively, could find a high quality scepter style.

Adventurebound said:
So a couple more questions on this. Is the actual holder the same size between the Nato holder and Wavian? Is it just the strap that is different? Assuming since I can't find a Wavian fuel can I can just order a new strap and get a Nato can.

Secondly, did they redesign the mounting bracket? I thought it also screwed into the camper at the jack plates? This one is simply a peice of angled aluminum? And it's too large and sticks out past the jack plate? Did I order the wrong one? Plus the lower support mount is about 1/3 the width of the others I have seen. Basically just a 1 1/2 strap of aluminum.

I would go with the Wavian steel can. The Scepter bulges like a ballon.

Attachments

• 20210910_170101_compress23.jpg
    20210910_170101_compress23.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 89
If you opt for the steel NATO style fuel cans you absolutely, positively want this nozzle for them:

https://swissarmyvehicles.com/surplus/51/SAV4220/army-spout-utility-jerry-can-swiss-army
They're expensive and you need to fabricate an unleaded filler adapter (I made mine from copper tube & a fitting), but it can drain the can nearly as fast as you can tilt it. Without spilling or leaking. It is also long enough that you can engage it in the fill neck before ever tilting the can.

I somehow doubt that this is the same spout, but it is a package deal of 2 cans and a spout:
https://swissarmyvehicles.com/surplus/51/SAV9101-2S/army-utility-jerry-can-20l-x2-with-spout

Note that there are some cheep, chinesium clone cans out there. Last that I saw, their bungs are not shaped correctly and the correct gaskets and nozzles, like above, do not fit them.

The steel, authentic, 20l Wavian NATO cans are the way to go. Don't waste your $ on the chinese knock-offs, that really aren't much cheaper than the authentic ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom