Atwood Furnace noise

LT Traveler

Our 2011 Atwood operates fine, fires right up, everything seems 100% good to go with it. Our beef with it is that 10-15 minutes after it's stopped running it makes a loud "bang" that's loud enough to startle you if you're sitting there or wake you up if sleeping. It's a metal contracting "bang" which makes sense given it happens 10-15 minutes after its cycled the metal is cooling back down. It's pretty annoying being startled or woken up all night long by it.

Any one else experience anything like this with their furnaces? Normal and get used to it or deal with bringing it somewhere for warranty work? I've pulled the front cover off and sat there watching/listening trying to determine where it's coming from and I simply can't determine the source.

Thought?

Sounds like something in the heater box is not welded, sealed, screwed correctly and it is expanding enough with the heat that it can bang shut when it cools -- I'd get a new furnace if it is an '11 its gotta be under warranty.

My '93 makes no crazy noises nor would I tolerate any...

Made an appointment today to have it repaired/replaced next week. Before I went through the trouble I wanted to make sure this noise wasn't something "normal" with these things.

Thanks guys.

After a ridiculously long day in Sacramento yesterday I'm all fixed up. Terry & Chicali at FWC took care of me; gave me a tour of the new shop, some new roof rack end plugs and a brand new furnace!! Sorry no pics. Huge congrats to you guys for squeezing me in during the last minutes of your working day and getting me taken care of....you guys rock!

HUGE NO THANKS to "Jiffy" Lube for breaking off my valve stem with tire pressure monitoring. A 20 minute oil change turned into 2 hours and a trip to Nissan. They did the right thing so **** happens and I can't fault them too much; the service manager took me over there, waited with me the entire time and they paid for the repair expenses.

Atwood wasn't sure what to do about the noise problem and wanted to send it up the chain of command whether they should send a completely new furnace or heat exchanger to repair the problem. Considering it's a 5 hour round trip for me to get down there yesterday and then do it all over again next week for a "repair" Terry & Chicali get me in and replaced the unit to keep me from having to return next week.

Also met Chris the new Colorado dealer...great dude and good luck to him.

Back
Top Bottom