Atwood water heater run time?

pvstoy

2015 FWC Atwood water heater 6 gallons I have the inside switch to electronic ingintion. How long does yours run to heat six gallons and burner turn off?

Thanks Craig. Second time turning it on. First time just to see if it works. Today fired it up and ran 25 minutes and played with the out side shower. Turned it off after 35 minutes. It did not shut down and no pressure built up for the pop off valve, no dripping either. Seems like it is burning more propane than needed???

2013 dsi , cold water 65 outside temp mine gets warm enough for a shower in about ten minute, about 40 min to get really hot water and the burner to shut off. Turned the burner off and the water stays hot for a long time.

Mine also heats up in about 10-15 min. Surprisingly, I can wake up the next morning and I still have hot water from the day before. Works pretty well.

It is really annoying that there is no thermostat and automatic shutoff on these water heaters. Even though it's loud, it's easy to forget it's on if your doing other things.

dharte said:
It is really annoying that there is no thermostat and automatic shutoff on these water heaters. Even though it's loud, it's easy to forget it's on if your doing other things.

Odd...my '16 Hawk hot water heater [Atwood] has a temp shut off....

Also a trick in case of expected cold nights to prevent or lessen the chance of freezing of the plumbing is to heat up the full 6 gallons and dump the 5 gallons that will come out into the 20 gallon water tank....repeat as needed.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Odd...my '16 Hawk hot water heater [Atwood] has a temp shut off....

Also a trick in case of expected cold nights to prevent or lessen the chance of freezing of the plumbing is to heat up the full 6 gallons and dump the 5 gallons that will come out into the 20 gallon water tank....repeat as needed.

Phil
Maybe I haven't let it run long enough to shut off but it gets scalding hot after about 30-40 minutes. Does yours turn back on automatically when it cools off? My Hawk is a 2015 model but I doubt they changed the water heater.

These Attwood water heaters have thermostats. They are non adjustable and calibrated really hot. If I remember correctly it is 140 degrees. This is to get more usable shower temperature water out of a little 6 gallon heater.

Mine gets hot enough for use after about 15-20 minutes. I never leave it on longer because I don't want the option of having scalding water come out of the tap.

I would suspect a bad thermostat if the heater ran for 40 minutes without shutting off

Mine is a suburban and the thermostat has seven notches. Its set on the third one. Probably bout 120 since its never been scalding hot. I've never tried changing it. While the unit shuts off just fine its not a pilotless ignition so I shut it off after its done. One tank is plenty for bathing and dish washing.

dharte said:
Maybe I haven't let it run long enough to shut off but it gets scalding hot after about 30-40 minutes. Does yours turn back on automatically when it cools off? My Hawk is a 2015 model but I doubt they changed the water heater.

Yes, being thermostatically controlled it cycles on and off....since it is so well insulated after it shuts down, I turn it off to prevent future use of propane until I need hot water again; re-heating is normally a brief burn...honestly only if we use the outside shower is the hot water used in any quantity, washing dishes uses a small amount...

Phil

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom