aurora borealis

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
"I know what I want to do the first fall I'm retired." The Lady told me this last night. We were in the midst of a usual evening of chores and projects. "I want to see the northern lights!"

If you have read our blog, you have an idea of our travel style and skill. An ideal trip to experience the aurora borealis for us should include these elements - remote area, beautiful surroundings, our truck and camper, hiking and muscle powered activities.

Ideas? Recommendations? Destinations to consider?

No date is set for this trip. This is the first phase of planning. :)

Monte, I saw them in Barrow Alaska one December 26th a few years ago but it's not too easy to get a popup truck camper up there. ;)

The aurora is on my bucket list of things I want to see. Not sure I want to drive to AK at the time of year they occur. Do still want to do the AK drive in the summer.

The Boundary Waters Wilderness in the winter is a good bet. You like to ski, you would definitely be remote. The truck would get you close, and then your skis or maybe a dog sled would get you out on a wilderness lake in the dark for an experience you won't forget. Problem is, there is not a guarantee you will get a display every night so you better plan an extended visit. :)

(Photo grabbed from the internet- I don't have any of my own, although I have seen them in winter, summer also, but less common)
img_109016_0_f5af50ee85a238be7cb2ecfe179d7c45.gif

Ski,by no means am I any kind of expert on the Aurora.
That said,you need to go to Alaska,BC,Yukon,
when the "lady" becomes a "geezerette".
You can drive both ways,or ferry one way drive the other. All the things you both enjoy about a trip is there for you.

We saw the aurora once and that was a very brief period and a small version.It was a summer time view from the ferry to Sitka,but as we watched it the fog bank came along and hid the view.

For some stimulation check again my Denali trip,view with the lady.
We have been north 4 times over the past 24 years and would like to revisit again soon.

You might also check with Robbie in Watson Lake for some info.
It does take some planning,which isn't that involved.
Have fun thinking and planning this adventure.
Frank

PS here are some teaser shots.

Attachments

• DSCN3584.jpg
    DSCN3584.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN3597.jpg
    DSCN3597.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN3607.jpg
    DSCN3607.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3611.jpg
    DSCN3611.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN3647.jpg
    DSCN3647.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN3691.jpg
    DSCN3691.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN3801.jpg
    DSCN3801.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 119
Seeing the Aurora in Iceland or Norway would be pretty darn cool also. Just a different kind of trip for sure. Logistics of the camper would be a bit complicated. ;)

I've seen them as early as October in north Idaho. Seem to get one or two displays every fall around here so your season may be longer than you think. The bigger issue is that they don't come down this far south with any kind of reliability so it might mean an extended tour.

All, thanks for the tips. We have time to plan this. I'd like to know of many different options to consider. Looks like right now we're looking between Northern Idaho and Barrow. :)

Ski3,

The first time we saw the Northern lights was on our 1st wedding anniversary in Banff Alberta on 9/6/98. You never know when or where they will be visible but Banff is a great area to wait and see. There's wilderness, rock climbing, boating, mtn biking and much more. We were there for a month and never got bored. If you've never been, Go!

A friend just reported that Kulusuk Greenland is a good place to see the AB. He flew over from Iceland, which I bet is also a pretty good viewing spot.

We see the Northern Light (auriora) all the time here at Watson Lake, Yukon.

Take the camper a few miles out of town, set up by the lake and lift your eyes. We can see them right form our front porch but not as much fun as going out..

Robbie

Heck, just drive up to Fairbanks and hang out there until you get your fill. Then drive home. Saw a good display from the north side of Mt. Baker in the '80s when I was guiding. It was bright enough to wake me up in my tent and we had a continuous display from midnight till it got light at about 0630 while we climbed Baker.

Taku said:
............................... It was bright enough to wake me up in my tent and we had a continuous display from midnight till it got light at about 0630 while we climbed Baker.
Sounds like a wonderful memory, Taku!

I remember a magical autumn night in the Canadian Rockies. I was bunked down at Fryatt Hut and woke in the tiny hours needing the biffy. When I got up there was a hard glittering frost on the ground reflecting the northern lights above. It was so gloriously beautiful that I almost forgot why I'd gone outside and that it was COLD.

But magic.

Back
Top Bottom