auxiliary gas cans

buckland

Site Team
2011 Eagle on an extended cab 2001 Tacoma. I have about a 3" space in the front of the bed due to the rubber knobs. Was wondering if anyone has used this space for storage of extra gasoline. Attached photo.

Attachments

• Roto Pax.jpg
    Roto Pax.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 309
I Cut My Bumpers In Half, Down To The Top Of The Bolt Heads. It Brings The Camper Forward Right Up To The Front Thus Moving The Center Of Gravity Forward. Nice Fit In The Tundra Now Even With The Back Of The Bed.

There Are Several Ways To Mount Gas On The Camper While Maintaining A Solid Mount To The Truck. In That Area (Between Camper And Bed) I Would Be Too Worried About Movement Up Against The Can, Plus Ease Of Removal When You Need To Use The Can.

Would Be Interesting To Hear What Others Said.

Kilroy

I have the older design of that red gas can......and in the heat it swelled really badly. I wouldn't buy another one on a dare. I didn't leak though....and still holds gas well. It just looks like crap and got a lot thicker.

If the idea of the 4 gallon 3" thick tank isn't a good idea I guess I am back to the can on the back end of the camper.... though I still think the "under the overhang" gas can could be something I'd like to think more on..... How about this can?
Anyone use this? Where I go water is not an issue... Gas is a big issue... long distances in wild places.

Attachments

• gas can.jpg
    gas can.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 222
Whoa Bosque Bill!!!
Just got the link to come in.... I like that overhang set up. Though only 4 gallons it is out of the way until it's needed.
That might just be the ticket and 5 gallons on the back too! Thanks

buckland said:
Whoa Bosque Bill!!!
Just got the link to come in.... I like that overhang set up. Though only 4 gallons it is out of the way until it's needed.
That might just be the ticket and 5 gallons on the back too! Thanks
My configuration will hold three of the 2 gallon Rotopax. The fabrication is supposed to be done on Thursday. I'll have photos later.

Great design on that over-the-cab can holder. I recently added a carrier to the back of hawk by bolting two boat trailer brackets through the plywood sidewall and then attaching a piece of diamond plate to that. I stabilized it by bolting the diamond plate through the rear wall step bolt holes. All of the weight is on the plywood side wall (thanks to Camel Racer for that bit of theory, it works). Then I bolted a standard gerry can holder to the diamond plate. That way there is no bulky gas can holder sticking out when I'm not carrying a gas can. Added a piece of aluminum ell on one side to attach Quick Fists that hold a shovel. Just rattled through 6 days of Death Valley and everything held great. I'll post more details and better pics shortly but here it is with the can and shovel on it (hopefully the pic comes through).

Bwht4x4 said:
Leadsled,

Are you sure it was a RotoPax brand tank and not a Koplin brand tank? They look similar but the Koplin is junk! I've got a couple RotoPax that I've painted dark olive to match my Honda quad and they have never done anything but work perfectly!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/320970057348?lpid=82
Bwht4X4,

Yes, the brand was Kolpin.....not RotoPax. The Kolpin tanks are very low quality.

You owners of the RotoPax brand....how are they holding up? Do they swell when the weather gets hot? I may pick one up for my ATV if they don't swell up.

My RotoPax have held up fine. The only issue with them is the CARB compliant nozzle that comes with them. There's a way around this...if anyone is interested PM me.

Any tank is going to build pressure when they get hot or when you go up in altitude. I've gone from where I live (6 feet elevation) to a pronghorn hunt in NV (6,000 feet elevation) where the temps were 35 degrees hotter and never had a problem. I'd buy a few more if they weren't so pricey. I use the VP square fuel cans for large amounts of fuel. They are 6 gallons and work well too.

Hey Bill, Hope the gas tank rack set up came out good... would love to see a photo. Was it a costly build?
The cheapest I can find the 2 Gallon Rotopax is $65. What's your source?

buckland said:
Hey Bill, Hope the gas tank rack set up came out good... would love to see a photo. Was it a costly build?
The cheapest I can find the 2 Gallon Rotopax is $65. What's your source?
Buckland, fabrication is complete. I'll start the installation process this week and post photos & description of the process shortly after completion as a new post, though I might link to it from here.

The best price I found on the Rotopax was from Powersport Superstore who is an Amazon Marketplace seller. Only a small savings at $62.13, but their free shipping was faster than the usual "super saver".

Thanks Bill,
I look forward to the project photos. Snow is almost gone up here in the hills... can't wait to get the camper on and enjoy the warmth.

Back
Top Bottom