Avoiding the memorial weekend crowds

craig333

Riley's Human
Had to plead for it but I finally have a three day weekend. I know many stay home to avoid the crowds but I don't have that option. I do know some spots locally (basically avoid lakes and streams) but I was thinking about maybe Green Creek or nearby. Not sure how crowded that gets on the holiday.

MET was plowed last weekend for the Amgen Tour of California so it is open earlier than usual. Green Creek Road area is probably all clear of snow from what we saw at a distance last weekend. But, it will be the start of mosquitoes. If I was going over that way I think I'd use one the dispersed sites off of Dunderburg Meadows Road - higher and dryer and less bugs. At the lower elevations campspots down near Mono Lake, the noseeums are out, my bites just stopped itching.

Good to know. I was thinking Ted's spot but it might be a bit cold there but then again that'd be good for the bugs. Good to hear the MET is open. I didn't pay any attention to the Amgen. My preferred route if I'm heading for 395. I had thought of maybe Monitor pass but its probably going to be pretty buggy also. Maybe friday night along the Carson depending on how far I get.

I'd expect that overnight temps at Ted's camp could be higher than in the bottom lands along Green Creek. I wouldn't expect bugs to be too bad up on Monitor. You may also consider overnighting somewhere along Bodie Masonic Road if you'd like to get over in the Bodie Hills.

Time to start looking at the weather. Thunderstorms have been hammering the east side and into Nevada. 395 is closed at Topaz Lake due to a mudslide that went into Topaz Lodge. Possible snow at pass level on Friday.

395 Closed

Now rain may even hit the valley. I'll have to keep a close eye on the weather. Perhaps a Saturday morning departure and of course, numerous backup options.

Rain (snow?) on friday, nineties on monday? Its going to be an interesting weekend.

Weather is weird all over Craig! Just got back from seven days up at Res F, on the Devils Garden on the Modoc NF .Every day/hour was a challenge, T-storms/hail/wind then nice weather, then back again-typical spring weather-even got to use my new Wave 3 heater a few times. Bob did allot of swimming and ball chasing, good for his back legs.All in all more good weather (good for sleeping in my chair and soaking up the sun) than bad and had the primitive CG on the east side all to myself-fisher types showed up daily, but they don't bother anyone, just used the boat launch- had a few fisher types camped on the west side-all boat fishing, res was really full and shore fishing difficult.

Love was in the air too with several pairs of ospreys courting and stuff. Robins, Blackbirds and even some chipping sparrows joining in-lots of birds out and about-spent allot of time bird watching. Weirdest thing seems like I had some type of buzzard roost next to my camp-buzzards coming and going all the time. Probably be still up there, but have a dental appointment on Wednesday-so headed home dodged t-storms all the way. Thought about turning around and heading to Eagle Lake, but weather reports show lot's of rain and t-storms here and in the high desert until Monday or so, then good weather. Another plus-no roof leaks, must have sealed them up, still seem to get that little leak when closed? Good luck finding a place-if you had a week or so, be nice up here and southern Oregon, but 3 days probably spend more time in the camper than out.

Smoke

Looks like I'll be staying on this side of the Sierra's friday. Sunday looks nice though.

Looks like once I get over Carson Pass it won't be too bad. Probably shoot for that free camp across from the Sno Park or Centerville Flat tonight. East side is looking better than it did yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom