AWD FWD confusion

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
With all the new urban 4x4's on the market, I'm getting to the point that I don't understand what they are doing with AWD/FWD systems anymore. What is the difference between AWD and "Full Time FWD". Are most SUV's on the market not using FWD systems like we have in our trucks?

With all the new urban 4x4's on the market, I'm getting to the point that I don't understand what they are doing with AWD/FWD systems anymore. What is the difference between AWD and "Full Time FWD". Are most SUV's on the market not using FWD systems like we have in our trucks?

Full time four wheel drive = all wheel drive.

The basic difference is that with AWD the driver doesn't have to do anything to get power to the front and rear axles. There are a number of different AWD systems. From simple viscous coupling center differentials to electronic stability systems that control differentials and apply each brake when needed to help get traction.

Some AWD systems such as the newer honda CR-V are FWD (front wheel drive) and only engage the rear axle when slip is detected. They can't handle much slippage.

AWD systems can be complex but take less power to operate (better mpg) and weigh less than a traditional 4x system. They don't clunk, bind, and grind either.

With a part time 4x4 system you usually get a two speed transfer case and if you are lucky some levers to play with :D

Thanks Bteam. I guess my confusion was mostly around the "Full Time FWD" - couldn't figure out how that was different that AWD.

We've been hit with some big snowstorms over the last week and my girlfriends AWD car sure beats the heck out of my truck in FWD. Can't have it all I guess :D

DD,

We've had the same experience with my wife's Subaru Outback vs my Tacoma, the AWD Outback is much better on slick roads or any paved road for that matter than my truck in four wheel by far. I'd love to have a truck that handled like that and could still take the off road abuse with a camper on it. No such luck.

DD-

A car/SUV with AWD almost always handles better than a truck when the truck is empty. Weight distribution makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom