Awning analysis paralysis...

zirkel

New Fleet shell + Gen 2 Tacoma owner here. Want to add sun shade capabilities for warm weather and exposed dispersed camping. I have a number of questions and request your insight.

I can afford the cost of a new awning, but want to make a darned good decision the first time around, rather than fix it later. I also tend to over-analyze decisions like this to a fault. Sorry in advance.

1. Soft case awning vs camp tarp?

Considering BASIC, inexpensive soft case awning, such as ARB, Eezi-awn, Roam, etc:
https://www.roamadventureco.com/collections/awnings/products/rooftop-awnings

Also considering a 12x12 camp tarp and two telescoping poles as an alternative:
https://www.rei.com/product/177675/rei-co-op-trailbreak-tarp-12-x-12

I'm a middle-aged former raft guide and have a Ph.D in Tarpology. Pitching a bombproof tarp at the end of the day, with camp beer in hand, provides immense satisfaction. It also makes my girlfriend roll her eyes.

Awning PROS: easier to set up and take down, you always have it handy
Awning CONS: more expensive, heavier, need to consider various mounting options (possibly drilling holes in camper) EDIT: Pools rain

Tarp PROS: cheaper, less weight ON the camper, can set it up where you want to sit/cook rather than always located on the passenger side of the camper, can be used to SAVE/occupy your campsite if you drive your camper into town.
EDIT: Can be set up to prevent rain from pooling.
Tarp CONS: takes longer to set up, usually packed away under the seat

NOT interested in a Fiamma.

2. Soft case: 6.5' vs 8'?

IF I go the awning route, I still have not decided between 6.5' or 8'. The 6.5' fits nicely along the bed portion of the camper, without extending forward onto the sleeping portion of the camper. This is more visually appealing, IMHO. Additionally, the 6.5' awning weighs less, is easier to deploy, and is less expensive. The 8' provides more FUNCTIONAL shade.

Many people I've spoken to say they actually use their awning LESS than they anticipated. Leaning 6.5' just to have SOME shade when needed.

3. Soft case awning attachment?

IF I go the awning route, there's a plethora of ways to attach the darned thing to the camper:
A) Flush mount
:cool: FWC brackets
C) Mule Expedition Outfitters jack bracket extensions
D) Home-made jack bracket extensions

I actually like the idea of flush-mounting an awning to the side of the camper. I was inspired by THIS guy:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/17688-mounting-arb-awning-on-2018-fwc-hawk-12-steps/

It seems MOST SOLID, with less potential to wiggle loose while driving over rough surfaces.

A&B drill holes THROUGH the camper. I live near the FWC Mothership, but they are IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of to do a bracket install.

C is expensive, and has an unnecessary (for me) tensioning mechanism to roll the awning forward to access the side camper latch. This is not an issue for me since I have a newer camper, and the latch is already moved forward. I also DON'T LIKE the rounded flange where the awning pivots sticking out, nor how the awning is raised to top of (above?) roof level (my gf thinks I'm being overly picky!). Plus there's that gap between the camper and awning.

https://dasmule.com/products/mule-four-wheel-camper-arb-awning-brackets-pre_order?_pos=1&_sid=45a0d29e5&_ss=r

Mule also makes a FIXED bracket for their batwing, which I've been told by Mitch at Mule, that it will work for a 6.5' or 8' awning:

https://dasmule.com/products/mule-alu-cab-shadow-awning-four-wheel-camper-bracket-kit?_pos=8&_sid=45a0d29e5&_ss=r

Both Mule options are made from $tainless $teel, I believe.

There's currently an engineer on the FWC owners facebook group gathering interest in manufacturing jack bracket extension awning mounts (see attached photo below). These can be available in aluminum, steel or stainless. Price yet to be determined.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• bracket.png
    bracket.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 79
zirkel said:
New Fleet shell + Gen 2 Tacoma owner here. Want to add sun shade capabilities for warm weather and exposed dispersed camping. I have a number of questions and request your input.

I can afford the cost of a new awning, but want to make a darned good decision the first time around, rather than fix it later. I also tend to over-analyze decisions like this to a fault. Sorry in advance.

1. Soft case awning vs camp tarp?

Considering BASIC, inexpensive soft case awning, such as ARB, Eezi-awn, Roam, etc:
https://www.roamadventureco.com/collections/awnings/products/rooftop-awnings

Also considering a 12x12 camp tarp and two telescoping poles as an alternative:
https://www.rei.com/product/177675/rei-co-op-trailbreak-tarp-12-x-12

I'm a middle-aged former raft guide and have a Ph.D in Tarpology. Pitching a bombproof tarp at the end of the day, with camp beer in hand, provides immense satisfaction. It also makes my girlfriend roll her eyes.

Awning PROS: easier to set up and take down, you always have it handy
Awning CONS: more expensive, heavier, need to consider various mounting options (possibly drilling holes in camper)

Tarp PROS: cheaper, less weight ON the camper, can set it up where you want to sit/cook rather than always located on the passenger side of the camper, can be used to SAVE/occupy your campsite if you drive your camper into town.
Tarp CONS: takes longer to set up, usually packed away under the seat

NOT interested in a Fiamma.

2. Soft case: 6.5' vs 8'?

IF I go the awning route, I still have not decided between 6.5' or 8'. The 6.5' fits nicely along the bed portion of the camper, without extending forward onto the sleeping portion of the camper. This is more visually appealing, IMHO. Additionally, the 6.5' awning weighs less, is easier to deploy, and is less expensive. The 8' provides more FUNCTIONAL shade.

Many people I've spoken to say they actually use their awning LESS than they anticipated. Leaning 6.5' just to have SOME shade when needed.

3. Soft case awning attachment?

IF I go the awning route, there's a plethora of ways to attach the darned thing to the camper:
A) Flush mount
:cool: FWC brackets
C) Mule Expedition Outfitters jack bracket extensions
D) Home-made jack bracket extensions

I actually like the idea of flush-mounting an awning to the side of the camper. I was inspired by THIS guy:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/17688-mounting-arb-awning-on-2018-fwc-hawk-12-steps/

It seems MOST SOLID, with less potential to wiggle loose while driving over rough surfaces.

A&B drill holes THROUGH the camper. I live near the FWC Mothership, but they are IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of to do a bracket install.

C is expensive, and has an unnecessary (for me) tensioning mechanism to roll the awning forward to access the side camper latch. This is not an issue for me since I have a newer camper, and the latch is already moved forward. I also DON'T LIKE the rounded flange where the awning pivots sticking out, nor how the awning is raised to top of (above?) roof level (my gf thinks I'm being overly picky!). Plus there's that gap between the camper and awning.

https://dasmule.com/products/mule-four-wheel-camper-arb-awning-brackets-pre_order?_pos=1&_sid=45a0d29e5&_ss=r

Mule also makes a FIXED bracket for their batwing, which I've been told by Mitch at Mule, that it will work for a 6.5' or 8' awning:

https://dasmule.com/products/mule-alu-cab-shadow-awning-four-wheel-camper-bracket-kit?_pos=8&_sid=45a0d29e5&_ss=r

Both Mule options are made from $tainless $teel, I believe.

There's currently an engineer on the FWC owners facebook group gathering interest in manufacturing jack bracket extension awning mounts (see attached photo below). These can be available in aluminum, steel or stainless. Price yet to be determined.

Thoughts?
zirkel - I've got an inexpensive 8 ft. ARB awning (with LED lights built in to the under side of the awning) mounted to Mule awning brackets. This is on a Hawk shell. I like the 8 ft. because it gives you a proper amount of room under the awning as the sun shifts position and also to put a couple of chairs and maybe a table and still be covered if it is blazing hot overhead or raining.

I also have a tarp and two telescoping poles and stakes and paracord, etc to set up on the other side if I need to, using the jacket brackets for an attachment point (I added a couple of vertical aluminum strips of 1/4 inch flatbar to the jack brackets to get the attachment points higher up. The tarp can also be used somewhere else at the campsite, maybe as a lean-to, orother configuration, if not directly attached off the camper itself.

Also, with the Mule awning brackets (and you can make your own as well) they can attach to the jack brackets on either side of the camper so if you find that it's better suited on the other side after you get it mounted, you can simply swap positions without drilling any holes into your camper. The Mule bracket is designed to tilt (arc) down a couple of inches in order to allow you to open and close the roof latches if you didn't order your camper originally with the latches extended forward (i.e., pre-awning installation). There is a slight design flaw in the Mule bracket - this ability to arc the awning down a few degrees to get to the latches is controlled by a locking lever. I found that this locking lever handle, in principle, is a good idea but functionally it doesn't have enough lock down strength so that on a rough road the lever will not keep the awning 100% in the upright position - it will drop down 2-3 inches on it's arc. I resolved this very easily by putting a locking nyloc in the slot that controls the arc angle to keep it in the fully upright position all the time. That solved the problem completely. It's a cheap, two nyloc, 5-minute fix.

Hope that helps.

Rich

I already had an ARB awning that I am very happy with so stuck with it. I went through all the gyrations of mounting and because it is rather heavy (the 10’ one) I decided to shoot the lock of my wallet and get the Mule. I also wanted to put it on the drivers side so I could put a folding stand for my 2 burner propane stove with an extension hose running from the propane tanks. And, cook out of the sun.

I have rigged a tarp off the back for a dry entrance in the door but I found when it rained enough for that the wind usually picked up and the flapping and fear of whipping up and smashing my solar on the roof nixed that pretty quick.
I also am now trying to minimize as much “stuff” as I can that I have to take out every night.

Although I have to say that I have not had any problem with the Mule clamp on their setup and I have been on some pretty darn rough roads. It is basically the same seat post binder bolt that has been used on mountain bikes etc. for years. And I have seen some pretty “wide loads” bouncing off of those!

JWL said:
I already had an ARB awning that I am very happy with so stuck with it. I went through all the gyrations of mounting and because it is rather heavy (the 10’ one) I decided to shoot the lock of my wallet and get the Mule. I also wanted to put it on the drivers side so I could put a folding stand for my 2 burner propane stove with an extension hose running from the propane tanks. And, cook out of the sun.

I have rigged a tarp off the back for a dry entrance in the door but I found when it rained enough for that the wind usually picked up and the flapping and fear of whipping up and smashing my solar on the roof nixed that pretty quick.
I also am now trying to minimize as much “stuff” as I can that I have to take out every night.

Although I have to say that I have not had any problem with the Mule clamp on their setup and I have been on some pretty darn rough roads. It is basically the same seat post binder bolt that has been used on mountain bikes etc. for years. And I have seen some pretty “wide loads” bouncing off of those!
Yep, don't know what to tell you, but didn't matter how much I tightened mine, it wouldn't lock it down. But no big deal for me. I just added the locknut. The mule brackets work fine and give you that flexibility for the install location.

Did you have your rear awning staked down or on a frame. I've seen some good designs for rear door awnings, but haven't bothered with one...yet!

ri-f said:
Yep, don't know what to tell you, but didn't matter how much I tightened mine, it wouldn't lock it down. But no big deal for me. I just added the locknut. The mule brackets work fine and give you that flexibility for the install location.

Did you have your rear awning staked down or on a frame. I've seen some good designs for rear door awnings, but haven't bothered with one...yet!
No it was just a tarp thing using the side awning brackets and the brackets I made to mount my fly rod tube and staked out with some extension poles. Hence the concerns. :/

JWL said:
No it was just a tarp thing using the side awning brackets and the brackets I made to mount my fly rod tube and staked out with some extension poles. Hence the concerns. :/
Came across this rear door awning. Nice design. Might be a little difficult to do on a FWC, just above the rear door. There's a very minimal amount of room there for overhead clearance, but it might work. Haven't tried it. It's well thought out.

https://expeditionportal.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-rear-door-awning/

Rich

You have done your homework. Brain Overload for sure[emoji4] We have the 8' Fiamma hardcase awning. We also have the last of the FWC rear awning option (2014). We very seldom use the rear awning. It is kinda a PIA to set-up. We thought hard about taking it to the Texas Coast, but didn't, and we wouldn't have been able to deploy it. The winds were 25mph - 40mph for 10 straight days in March. We do use our Fiamma awning, but sparingly. It depends on the weather, temps. My wife and I are often dropping the top to sightsee almost daily. We carry a 6' Clam screen shelter that has weather panels. Great for bugs and rain. From what I can see, the soft wrap around awnings can be a PIA also. Please note that is my opinion, though some have posted along those lines.

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is: what type of camping (boondocking, state parks, national parks, USFS, etc). Do you plan on being stationary for 2-3 days or more, or will you be on the move daily. We like our 8' Fiamma on our Grandby and it is nice to deploy as needed. We love our Clam shelter. Wish we had gotten a larger one though. Good luck.

As many have said here and in other threads, it really depends on how you will use it. I went with the EZI awn 270 batwing, on the passenger side. I'm a fly fisherman and use it a lot at lunch time when the sun is straight overhead and they is zero shade except under my awning. The 270 is quick to deploy and provides lot of shade. I also use it in light rains in camp, I can go in and out of the back door staying under the awning. I cook on a tire table. I also carry a 6 ft clam shell screen house with 3 removable side walls to leave in camp as protection from bugs and rain.

I have had the batwing out in some rather strong wind. With the legs staked down, plus guy lines, it holds up against the wind pretty well, but I never leave it unattended. I have not deployed it in a strong wind, but have stored it in a strong wind, when I got nervous.

I like to be comfortable, but don't want to give it up to the wind gods. LOL

Another option to add to your analysis paralysis, that, to some extent, combines the tarp and awning options you propose, is to install an awning track on your camper. These are still used on boats and were popular with campers in the past. They are lightweight and work well. One downside is that it takes a bit longer to install the tarp when you want it. But if you install a track on each side of the camper, you'd have options to mount your tarp/awning on the side best for the circumstances.

Sailrite has them https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Aluminum-96 (also available in black) along with awning rope to add to your tarp. Sailrite makes it look easy https://youtu.be/zhJ5SB_4m3g

x3 on the 6 ft. Clam. Easy to deploy and pack up, and will withstand strong wind, rain, and best of all swarming mosquitoes and flies. Worth it!

x2 on the Sailrite products. My 2015 Fleet came with the C track installed on the rear for a (no longer available) FWC rear awning. I installed another piece of track on the passenger side. I added a piece of the Keder awning rope to a Kelty tarp (also no longer available) and can now use the tarp on whichever side I need. REI tarp poles hole up the ends with some guy lines and stakes.

This would work with any rectangular tarp and still be very light weight and relatively wind resistant (depending on quality of the tarp, set up, etc.

Much less expensive and much lighter weight than the self supporting awnings. Does take more time to set up though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom