Awning location question

craig333

Riley's Human
I think I'll be ordering a Fiamma awning soon. I notice they're always installed on the passenger side. Thinking about my own camping I normally have my stuff set up on the drivers side. Thoughts?

I think I'll be ordering a Fiamma awning soon. I notice they're always installed on the passenger side. Thinking about my own camping I normally have my stuff set up on the drivers side. Thoughts?

Craig, y'know you're right, even though my awning isn't attached to my camper. Why is that, I wonder?

Craig, y'know you're right, even though my awning isn't attached to my camper. Why is that, I wonder?

My Theory: It's related to the reason that motorhomes, camping trailers, XP campers, etc. have their main/cabin entrance on the passenger side. If you pull over to the side of the road to hang out for a while you don't want to enter or exit the cabin on the traffic side of the rig (the driver side). And if the main door is on that side then it makes sense that you'd want the awning to be over your "front porch" on that side, too.
Yes, the FWC and ATC don't have their doors on the side...but because the right/passenger side is the standard side for awnings on other types of RV (because their main doors are on that side), the manufacturers put them on that side anyway.

Also, consider that the big side window (the only side window on my Hawk) is on the passenger side. In rain or sun, the combination of an open window and an awning can make for an enjoyable day or evening.

Most people gravitate towards the sidewalk side of the truck (passenger side).

Having the awning on the passenger side helps to shade the larger passenger side window.

Putting the awning on the driver's side will usually cover the upper refrigerator vent.

(if you have the refrigerator installed)

Might get a little too hot from the burning propane exaust ?

Just a few of the reasons I can think of at the moment.

I think someone asked this question before. One of the answers stayed in my head:

What if the awning decided to open while underway? It would be less likely for it to hit oncoming traffic.

:LOL:
Here is my answer-all the hot stuff like hot water heaters, frig grating, water input valves, plugs and stuff is on the other side. You sit under the awning to be nice and comfortable in the shade or out of the rain--and you don't need the added heat and other things banging around while your enjoying your beer---and the trucks gas tank is on that side-used to smoke once, don't need to worry about that big boom taking place and last the picture window is on the other side-even though the view is a little cut off when its up-that enough reasons! That help?

Smoke

When I designed my awning I installed the hardware so the awning can be used on either side. It's simple, inexpensive and works great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayaronowcampersales/

I'm not convinced. If I'm outside the furnace won't be running. I don't have the fridge. Truck is diesel, not likely to explode. I rarely ever park next to a curb when camping. If it were to open while traveling I'd be more likely to see it on the drivers side.

I really don't want to have to fill in a bunch of holes though if I make the wrong decision :oops:

As a result of the standard RV/trailer layout with passenger and awning on teh right side, the RV campgroud spots are rigged with utilities (power, sewer, water) on the left out of traffic and short runs to the vehicle, the right has picnic table and clear walking path. Also the noise of running equipment is kept on the left side for a quieter passenger side experience parked.

Something to consider. While I tend to avoid regular campgrounds thats not always an option.

The right side does kind of make sense for all the reasons suggested by others especially with the appliances all venting on the left side. This is usually where the grey water pail lives too - not the most appealing companion while enjoying a cool one. All that being said, I think Chnlisle has the best idea: figure out a way to easily move it from side to the other.

Here's another option. We ordered the Grandby with the track but not the awning. The second I saw the track I knew I could easily rig up a light rope salvaging on the edge of my camping tarp and slip it into the track. This will allow us to set up the tarp on the camper just like the factory model and also to set it up over a table or anywhere else just like when we're backcountry camping. This will add versatility although admittedly at the expense of convenience.

Oh ya and the camping tarp is only $50 to $100 for a good one.

I too would put it on the pass side if I didn't put it across the rear.

Where do you find a good tarp? All that I seem to be able to find are HF clones (i.e. cheap junk).

Back
Top Bottom