Awning: Yes or No?

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I am going to be visiting Ben here soon to have some work done on the camper. One of the things we've been batting around is whether to install a side awning. I would have to say that we camp about 60-70 percent in mountainous but treed country (hence shaded). But, we do want to expand more into the deserts and hopefully soon, Baja. These trips will be mainly in the winter. What are your opinions on awnings? Did ya buy one but never use it? Are they okay in high winds? Are they usable in the rain? Is it the next best thing to peanut butter? Thanks.....pete

We've done a lot of discussion on awnings if you want to search it. Its definitely on my list of things to do some day. In most of my camping time, its rare enough that wind is a problem (probably wouldn't put it up at the beach ).

Awning....????

Mushhuskies.

The consideration for me was never high winds, rain or anything like that when in actual use?
As you said, you spend a lot of time up in mountainous, treed country.
It depends on how adventurous you are and how tight and narrow the
trails you travel are? You might want to consider that a side mounted awning can/will get hooked, snagged, or even torn off at some time, causing some nasty damage?

IF you prefer to never drive close enough to any trees or bushes to brush/scratch/drag the sides of the camper, it shouldn't be a problem!

My solution has been, when I head for the tight, tree lined mountainous trails I remove the awning. Again, as you said, there's usually plenty of shade anyway.
When I head for the wide open desert high country I re-mount the awning.

Just something to be aware of so you don't learn the hard way. Like I did?

Cheers...Coop.

Awning, yes

Okay, most of my camping is in the desert, therefore I love having the awning. They also are nice in the rain as long as you keep the outboard end lower than where it's attached to the camper. It rained the first trip I took after buying my FWC. My friends and I hung out under the awning enjoying the rain.

Wind can be a problem. Mine has a spring to retract it in a nice tight bundle, so it has an attached strap that helps to extend it against the pull of the spring as well as control the rate at which it retracts. I have found that using a bungee cord attached to the strap and something heavy (for instance my bike rack) works well in strong winds. The awning also has holes in the feet, so I guess I could use tent stakes to help secure it, but haven't had the need to (yet).

A friend has a different awning with a screw driven mechanism for extending and retracting it. I like that design a lot, but it doesn't have the built in strap. However, it should be pretty easy figure out a way to tie it down in strong winds.

I have an awning and have only used it once (in the desert), I found that the sun always found a way around the awning and when the wind picked up I was so worried about it getting damaged that I rolled it up. Like most here I generaly camp in the mountains with shade and cool weather.

While I have never really used my awning I like the fact that it is there. If you need to save some money then I guess I would cut the awning from the budget first.

Awnings in high winds

A lot of our customers who use the awning in the Baja area have told me that they use the tent stakes for the legs and then tie a rope to each front corner of the awning and stake the ropes out like you would a tent.

I have never had an awning come back from wind damage under these conditions. They seem to hold up well.

here's another perspective....

I have a hawk shell and added an aftermarket shady boy awning. light weight, easy to setup and use. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, I find the rain the biggest problem when out and about. I use it almost all the time when the clouds are out and rain a problem. Very nice to have a place that is dry to cook, sit and relax. Probably would not use it in anything but a mild wind. Occasionally, used it on sunny days for a shade. Works much better if the truck is toward the sun and the awning side away from the sun. But, that ruins the views of the beach......

The awning has become a welcome accessory that makes some trips so much more comfortable. A reliable to simple rear awning, now that would be a real coup. Still working on this one.

dave

When I get back from this damn surgery I'm going to install awning extrusion on both sides of the Hawk and the rear. That way I can move the awning to where ever it will work best for where we happen to be. I've spent a good deal of time trying to figure a way to get rid of the tent pole legs and when push comes to shove its the easiest and I'll just take the thing down in a wind storm.

Thanks for the advice/help

Just wanted to thank all that responded. I did check the other thread(s) on awnings and really like the idea for the extruded channel and the homemade awning. Especially like the idea of one across the back. If'n it doesnt work out I can always go back to the stock units, right Ben?!!!

Of course I know I'll get to the factory and see one installed and then just have to have it! ;)

See ya out there! ......pete

An alternative is to get creative with tarps and PVC pipe -- Much less expensive and easily replaceable if it all blows away (plus it won't be ripping out of the TC when it blows away).

With regard to using an awning for shade, the best thing is to have something up OVER the TC to keep it all in shade so it will cool down fast at night.

Awning

We always keep an extra one is stock just for folks like you who stop by and just have to have one.:D

yes, installing just the awning rail / awning track seems to work well

I have seen many customers do this

Most will take a piece of rope, and wrap the leading edge of tarp over the rope and sew it in place.

That way you can slide the tarp into the awning track for an easy installation and a secure set up.

In the picture attached, I don't think he installed his awning that way, but it should give you the idea on what it would look like.

hope this helps

Attachments

• F-150 (Babine Lake, BC).jpg
    F-150 (Babine Lake, BC).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 378
Awning-Yes. We had a Fiamma on our last offroad camper and loved it. It had an aluminum housing that is very strong. Ours was scratched and dented from offroading and it always worked. If we were camping in the trees we still put it out to help keep the area around the door cleaner from leaves and ? falling or the morning dew.

I believe Fiamma and A&E are the same awning with perhaps a different price. They use the same parts. Different models have different degrees of set-up difficulty, but one of the A&Es is very easy for one person to set up. Unfortunately I can't recall the model name :(

I believe Fiamma and A&E are the same awning with perhaps a different price. They use the same parts. Different models have different degrees of set-up difficulty, but one of the A&Es is very easy for one person to set up. Unfortunately I can't recall the model name :(
That is very interesting. Please post more info.

There are some big differences between the Fiamma and the A&E Awnings.

The Fiamma Awnings seem to be really nice and work well.

The other brand that is very similar (looks identical), is listed under the "Dometic Brand" -- i They call it the Horizon Case Awning.

The A&E Awnings I have seen are usually called the ... "Catalina Model" (spring loaded, pull out type)

Hope this helps ...

More on Awnings

Again, thanks for all the replies. Have been checking out the web site for Fiamma's. I noticed one of their models the F35Pro that attaches to roof racks. Perhaps for those of you with a roof rack this could be an alternative to use, especially over the back door area. That is if you can get past the sticker shock! But they sure look like a neat product.

Quite honestly, I'm so new to this game that I havent an idea what to look for in an awning other than a general smooth operation and sturdiness. What should I be paying attention to?

Stan/Ben: Which brands do you prefer and/or stock?

We prefer the Fiamma, but like you said it is pricey.

The A&E Catalina seems to be very reliable, but might be too wide to put on the rear wall of the camper.

I had a Catalina Awning on my old Grandby, and it always worked fine.

The downside I have seen on the Catalina is that the end caps never seemed to close very well. Outside of that it seem to preform well.

The ShadyBoy awnings that someone was posting awhile back looked pretty sweet too (simple approach).

Back
Top Bottom