awnings....for alaskans

Rusty

After years of carrying a caravan canopy around in the back seat I'm ready for something lightweight and easy to use. After seeing Roberts track on that beautiful Alaskan he just bought (and is probably admiring in his garage right now)....started the juices flowing.

Now I'm not a plastic tarp kind of guy....I like old fashioned waxed cotton or Sunbrella material....but stabilizing it seems to be the key...at the outer edges.

Here's a little gadget I just stumbled acrossed and I think I hit the jackpot....watch the video and at the end they do an upward pressure test on extraction pressure.....pretty amazing....I think this will hold up at Flaming Gorge in the 60mph wind gusts too.

and this little puppy will fit in my drawer ;)

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Canopy-Accessories/The-Claw-Anchor.aspx

I hope I'm not getting anyone in hot water for posting the link....I guess I'll find out :rolleyes:

Great anchor Rusty I can see a few uses for them. Like keeping our trampoline in our garden instead of the neighbors.
Thanks,
Kevin.

A little something that was just pointed out to me on another site....

The screw attachment of the channel to the camper is the weak link here (maybe bedding it in polyurethane adhesive caulk is going to be the preferred installation method)....

At Flaming Gorge it's not uncommon to see 60+mph....I think I'll get a couple tie downs to use...but when I'm out there I'll keep the channel on the camper well lubed with beeswax....get er down quick ;)

A little something that was just pointed out to me on another site....

The screw attachment of the channel to the camper is the weak link here (maybe bedding it in polyurethane adhesive caulk is going to be the preferred installation method)....

At Flaming Gorge it's not uncommon to see 60+mph....I think I'll get a couple tie downs to use...but when I'm out there I'll keep the channel on the camper well lubed with beeswax....get er down quick ;)

Hi Rusty, I was thinking about putting an awning channel under the window on the passenger side of the camper. It would make it easy to slide on with the camper in the down position and it would still be about six feet high in the raised position. what do you think? :unsure:
Poly Adhesive caulk is the way to go.
Cheers,

Kevin.

I talked to Dorrie, at Alaskan, a couple months ago about where they attach their awnings...that's where they attach them on new models...

Makes sense...you'll have a little material to get a bite on....the extraction resistance from wind action would be much better with some longer screws at that point.

I'm 6'3"...with no early warning system on top :rolleyes: ....6 foot awning....but then again....you're going to be sitting under it ;)

I talked to Dorrie, at Alaskan, a couple months ago about where they attach their awnings...that's where they attach them on new models...

Makes sense...you'll have a little material to get a bite on....the extraction resistance from wind action would be much better with some longer screws at that point.

I'm 6'3"...with no early warning system on top :rolleyes: ....6 foot awning....but then again....you're going to be sitting under it ;)

A six foot awning would still work for you Rusty if you took a shovel along. Just dig out a path to your chair four inches deep and presto you'd be all set. :D Its a good job they designed Alaskans with your height in mind. What is the weather like up there today. :)
Ha Ha.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Back
Top Bottom