Back door keeps flying open

telebrewer

Advanced Member
My back door won't stay lacked properly and opens randomly. It's always fun to have a car pull up and honk and point to the back. My dogs don't like it either. I have tried to adjust the striker and it helped a little. Does anyone have a better way to keep the door shut without having to worry about it?

Hmmmm.

Salty made me do it.

Attachments

• bank-vault-door.jpg
    bank-vault-door.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 311
Sounds like you don't have the deadbolt option on yours. Might be a good push to go for one, you'll get a better lock and keep your door shut. :thumb:

Hmmmm.

Salty made me do it.

Pueblo, you're an adult, it's time to start taking responsibility for your own actions, and besides I'm tired of being blamed for every irresponsible, poor taste, and insane thing that goes on around here, it's just not fair.

It's the strike plate. Loosen the two screws, move the plate back, tighten screws. Repeat process whenever door no longer wants to stay closed.

Dead Bolt

I think I spent 12 bucks and installed a good dead bolt. It gives a little more peace of mind when locking the back too.

Worn out lock

Being the newby that I am, I think you should take the easy way out. Putting in a deadbolt may be difficult for some folks without damaging the door. Since you have an older model, why not just call FWC or ATC and buy a new lock? I was locking at my lock even though I have a deadbolt also. Your's just may be worn out. FYI, probably a better deal at ATC. I did inquire about the cost of a door when I was looking at a used FWC and ATC was less expensive for the door and they are the same door. Good luck, but get that fixed. "That's embarrassing".

DP

Below problem solved...the cause was a lack of lubrication and of brains. The inside deadbolt I mentioned is just the back side of the upper key key mechanism which felt like it was working in its 90 deg turning. I did not realize it takes a 180 deg turn and that part was stuck. Just needed more force than I was at first comfortable in applying.

Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------

My issue is the opposite...I can't get the door open! I am new to this 2011 Hawk. I locked the upper handle lock two days ago, now the door won't open.

When I pull on the latch with tension on the door I can feel it disengage. Same with the deadbolt above it. All feels normal but the door opens only a 16th of an inch or so and stops. It feels solid like there is some other latch. I recall there is a small deadbolt lever accessible from the inside only - does it sound plausible it could have vibrated into the closed position?

Your thoughts will be appreciated. Fortunately it is in my driveway and I am not planning on using it for another week!

Many thanks,
Charlie Judson

Back
Top Bottom