Back door - Ranger II

Gunflint

Hi all.

One of the first things that needs some attention on our new camper is the back door. I have poked around past posts a bit but haven't really found anything related to my specific issues.

First, the window casing/trim on the exterior of the window at the bottom left moves in and out appx 1/4" to 1/2". This has caused the seal of the window to break and is, I am assuming, allowing water to migrate into the door. This seems to have been an issue in the past as there is some spray foam/orange caulky looking stuff on the right side of the trim. There also seems to be some clear silicone around the entire window which doesn't look like its original. Which leads me to believe, once again, this isn't the first time this has happened. Any thoughts on how to secure the trim and re-seal the window?

water intrusion.jpg

Second, the skin of the door seems to be made of 2 panels, with a joint just below the window. I would think the upper panel would be shingled over the lower one, but that does not seem to be the case. Regardless, the sealant here is definitely breaking down. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pull the screw and reseal it?

horizontal seal.jpg

Finally, it appears either the door is not square or the camper frame might not be as the gap at the top of the door seems to grow, and at the left side there is a small space for air and/or water infiltration. Its under the gutter, so may not be a big deal but wondering if there was a way or it would be a good idea to adjust the door?

unlevel door.jpg

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Matt

Gunflint said:
Hi all.

One of the first things that needs some attention on our new camper is the back door. I have poked around past posts a bit but haven't really found anything related to my specific issues.

First, the window casing/trim on the exterior of the window at the bottom left moves in and out appx 1/4" to 1/2". This has caused the seal of the window to break and is, I am assuming, allowing water to migrate into the door. This seems to have been an issue in the past as there is some spray foam/orange caulky looking stuff on the right side of the trim. There also seems to be some clear silicone around the entire window which doesn't look like its original. Which leads me to believe, once again, this isn't the first time this has happened. Any thoughts on how to secure the trim and re-seal the window?

attachicon.gif
water intrusion.jpg

Second, the skin of the door seems to be made of 2 panels, with a joint just below the window. I would think the upper panel would be shingled over the lower one, but that does not seem to be the case. Regardless, the sealant here is definitely breaking down. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pull the screw and reseal it?

attachicon.gif
horizontal seal.jpg

Finally, it appears either the door is not square or the camper frame might not be as the gap at the top of the door seems to grow, and at the left side there is a small space for air and/or water infiltration. Its under the gutter, so may not be a big deal but wondering if there was a way or it would be a good idea to adjust the door?

attachicon.gif
unlevel door.jpg

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Matt
This has been somewhat of an issue in the past and into current times. If I remember the door is/was made else where. We have 2014 Grandby. There are approximately 16 screws on the inside window frame. We removed the inside frame and noticed wet and dirty insulation in the door in several places. Our window was factory caulked with silicone, a poor job at best. I bought a tube, cleaned the glass and frame and recaulked all around the window until it started to ouze out on the outside. Seems to have stopped the water. There were dirty water stains running down the inside of the door below the window and that was a give away. Other older campers have had issues with the door out of square. I suggest you do a search. Best of luck. jd

I have a ranger II as well. The door is nor hard to disassemble for repairs. I chased a leak for a long time only to find out it was the heater door. I called Atwood and was told that the door that FWC was using was never intended to mount vertically. I bought the door that they recommended and my leak was cured.

My old Grandby door was sagging so bad you had to lift it to get it to latch. I tried shimming it up by putting washers between the bottom hinge and the door but is wasn't really a permanent fix. I eventually ended up completely disassembling the door and building a new frame patterned of the remains of the old rotten one. I used pressure treaded wood and added extra cross bracing to the frame along with steel corner brackets. The door skin and trim went back onto the new frame no problem and I resealed the window inside and out. The result was a square door that didn't leak and shut pretty much on it's own. It really isn't a hard project, just careful measurement and some basic carpentry skills.

I just got a Ranger II (91?) and have the exact same door lack of squareness in the frame. It's weird though that only the top is out of square on the door frame. I suspect this may be a manufacturing defect. While the door sags a little and rubs a little on the frame it is way worse along the top than along the sides or the bottom which doesn't make sense geometrically.

I don't have any silicone that I can see sealing the window frame and I also don't have the horizontal seem i don't think. I have noticed cracks in the FRP skin though and I think it's related to the corner jacks lift handle. I've noticed that the lower screws on the inside of the camper window frame are rusty suggesting that I also have a leak problem.

Gonna have to pull it apart before it sarts raining here and figure out where the water is coming in.

Back
Top Bottom