Back end sag.....

davinski

Ok. I've read the posts on this subject, but am wondering still what to do. Here is the problem.

96 dodge ram 1500 extended cab, short bed 4X4. Still with stock shocks, leaf springs. Last year, added a 2001 used hawk shell. 135,000 mi. No problem. Took it all over, off road, on road, loved it. Even used it a fair amount this winter.

Now, looking at it, i notice a bit of a sag in the rear! Was not like this last year. Camper with average load runs about 650 to 700 pounds.

Question is what should I do?

1. get some super springs? Not too keen on airbags.
2. new shocks? springs or shocks first? Probably need both. Ride hasn't changed a lot, but definitely not like when it was newer....
3. ditch truck and get a new one, perhaps 3/4 ton since people are running from them and their gas guzzling ways. Gotta be able to get a deal on a used 4x4 to fit the bill. Besides, I need new tires soon....Should I spend money the old or maybe go new instead?

what do you guys think?

Dave in seattle, a little conflicted.

MMM... Diesel....

Just stay w/ the 5.9 CTD for decent fuel economy.

If your current truck is fine w/ the above exceptions, you're probably fine either way you go. Shocks won't help your ride height unless you go with air shocks (not recommending that) so springs would be the first suggestion. I'm not a big fan of add a leaf systems. Perhaps a better choice would be a rear spring replacement built to handle the extra weight of the camper. After that, you can get some shocks that are valved properly for the weight.

For me, I always like to have something that is overbuilt for my application thus the 3/4 Dodge I have for hauling a Jeep and a FWC.

Dave I agree with Kyle. A newer generation 5.9 CTD would solve all those issues for you. They are cheaper now. But then again you can do a lot of mods on your truck for 30K. When you're done you still have a '96 1500 gasser. The 5.9 gets very good fuel mileage and it's a great truck.

Disclaimer: We both own 2500 CTD's

I like the diesel trucks too !

Our Dodge Ram trucks we use for deliveries and trade shows have performed flawlessly.

But with the price of diesel at $ 4.40 out here in California, and gas at $ 4.00, I'm not sure I would go with a diesel truck for carrying a "shell model" around. The extra cost of fuel might balance out because you would be getting better gas mileage, but the extra cost to get a diesel motor is running what ?? $ 3000 - $ 4000 - $ 5000 ?? That will buy you a lot of gas.

If I was towing a 30' Travel Trailer or a large boat, diesel is the way to go for sure !

But if you are just putting around town empty, I'm not sold it is the most economical way to travel.

I just saw a Ford Ranger, Ext. Cab. with only 5000 miles for sale for $ 8000.00.

I picked up my 2000 Ford F-150, Ext. Cab., Long Bed 4x4, with only 48,000 miles for $ 8000 "out the door" (truck, tax, registration, smog, and upgraded rims).

If I was carrying around a money tree, that would be whole a different story. Having a nice Crew Cab, Short Bed, Diesel 4x4 would be sweet ! I sure would not turn a good deal away for a truck like that if I could afford it :)

But if you are trying to save a few pennies, consider keeping your truck if it is running good. Adding a set of SuperSprings, a new set of tires, and new shocks will run you about $1300 - $1500. Not too bad considering just paying the sales tax when you buy a truck will cost you that much.

The SuperSprings seem to work well on the full sized trucks. They are not too expensive and very easy to install. I would think they would do well for the light camper load you are carrying.

If you got money to burn, the 3/4 ton truck is the best for carrying a camper around. Not doubt about it.

If you need to save some $$, then maybe consider putting a few bucks into your 1/2 ton to get a few more years out of it.

For my $0.02, I agree with Stan. I don't see the benefit of diesel economically unless you really haul or tow. If a 1/2 ton meets your needs, I would stick with that and add super springs or bags. As for getting a newer truck or modding the old one, my personal preference is upgrade to a newer truck. Maintaining an old truck and keeping it a long time is the most economical strategy of all unless you start to need major repairs. When you start needing to replace entire systems like trannies I think its just throwing good money after bad. But I can't do the work myself either, so I could be a bit off too.

Hmmm.
Good input all.

Well, thinking about it, I doubt I will often tow a boat or trailer. Long hauls are not gonna happen until I retire, and that is a long way off. Probably better to keep the occasional use truck. Maybe look for a diesel when I get closer to really traveling.

The more I think about it the more i will probably just keep this one going, but keep the eye out for a good deal if it should pass. Or, gas will hit 10 dollars a gallon and I will put the camper in the backyard and just camp there.....

So, how hard is it to put in supersprings? I was going to have the local camping world do it since they are an authorized dealer, but it costs more for the labor than for the springs.....Would I need to remove the camper? Would I need any special tools? Seems easy, but we all know how those go.

Then for shocks. What would you all suggest...Never done this. Do drive it with and without the camper. Runs to the dump or to pick up mulch are easy with the truck.

Lastly, any hints to keep old workhorses like this going? I gotta do the usuall tune ups and all, but anyone have any special hints?

Thanks, you are such a good source of info!

Dave in Seattle

Saggin'

Sounds like you don't do too much mech. work, thats ok, the springs are fairly easy, you will need jack stands and floor jack, it's just grunt work. Go slow and be careful under your truck. As for what might help your truck last longer, aside from how it's been taken care of so far, I would go through the cooling system, complete flush,maybe new belt and water pump, at this stage a lot of problems are heat related. I you have an auto trans. that also should be flushed by someone who has a vac. system, not just a pan drain. Your trans. will thank you with longer life. My 2 centavos

P.s.

If it was me, I would go for the bags, if for no other reason, they have ajustabality. springs don't

For sure change the timing belt and water pump. Keep the oil clean. Change the lube in the diffs and transfer case and make sure the uni joints are greased. Maybe check the net to find a forum with folks that have a truck like yours. Always a good source for info.

Like Salty said the springs are pretty straight forward. Just follow the directions and work slowly. I don't think the camper needs to come off but I'm not sure on that. Floor jacks and jack stands are pretty cheap these days. Can you say Harbor Freight?

Floor jacks and jack stands are pretty cheap these days. Can you say Harbor Freight?

Hmm, lying under a 6,000# truck being held up by $12.00 China jack stands? If you want to go cheap do it on stuff that won't kill you.

I know you did not want airbags, but that's the route I would go. As for the truck, if you have taken care of it all it's life then you will be fine for many more miles. I currently have 210k miles on my truck and have owned all my vehicles to at least 300k (one to 380k). Just follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule on fluids, filters, plugs etc. Personally I stay away from speedy lube places & use OEM parts when possible.

If At All Possible Buy American

Sam, that is some real good advice, there is nothing worse than cheap tools. If you can't buy the the toys they make because they might kill your kid, do you want to lay under your truck with something they made holding it up?

Springs aren't really hard. Just plan on an all day job. If it goes well it won't take that long. Get a friend to help. Its alot easier with an extra pair of hands.

Well, I think I will start by doing a general maintenance work on the truck. If they tell me there is anything glaringly wrong, I would consider a new truck just to get rid of any headaches. They are getting cheaper as gas prices keep going up.

If everything is OK, I will start with Supersprings. See how it rides, then new shocks.

I don't know if I will do it myself. A little scary being under that truck with all that weight. I don't have a lot of the tools, either, so I would have to find a friend with lots of time and the tools. Not so easy for me.

I'll price it out.

Thanks all, always so helpful.

Dave in seattle

Well, not hearing of any FWC angels, I decided to call one of the dealers for supersprings here near Seattle. They quoted me about 545 for the springs and about 100 to install. Not too bad. I still like this idea better than the airbags.

Now, how to decide if I need new shocks.....They said they would help me check them out, but I am sure they will help my buy them instead. Any hints from those so much more experienced than I?

Dave in seattle.

I like the ride the Pro Comp 9000 give and they're cheap. I dont know how they ride with the camper on. CJRocky likes the Bilsteins and A friend of mine liked them as well. Having said that he has the Pro Comps on his Ram CTD. But its a place to start.

Yep... love the Bilsteins over the stock shocks. I'd offer you a ride to check em out... but might be a little far from Seattle to Tucson. :)

Kyle

SHocks are so subjective......I'll see what I know. What I need is someone who knows shocks to ride in the truck......I don't trust them sales people. Of course I will need new shocks.

As for a ride....
Arizona is probably a lot sunnier than here....and warmer. Sun......yum........

Dave

84 with a few clouds and a touch of sprikinkles earlier just to keep us honest. Another chamber of commerce day here in The Old Pueblo.

84 with a few clouds and a touch of sprikinkles earlier just to keep us honest. Another chamber of commerce day here in The Old Pueblo.

Shhh... don't tell them that... everyone will want to come here!

It is actually 120 right now. It is so dry that you turn into a raisin as soon as you walk out the door, your shoes melt into the pavement and you turn into a steaming puddle of goo as you melt into the desert floor. Thankfully it is so hot and dry the you don't steam for very long and quickly turn into dust and blow away. Any people wonder why it is so dusty down here...

Back
Top Bottom