Back from Antelope Lake

craig333

Riley's Human
I wasn't going to post a trip report as I've posted about the Fathers and Sons trip before but this trip had something I wanted to share.

Made it up monday, found a nice spot for my first two days solo. Windy as heck though. Made it into our main camp nice and early Wednesday. Thursday decided to try and find a mine on the map. Found it but it wasn't easy. The Forest map wasn't entirely accurate. I got stubborn and spent about four hours driving the Jeep around to see if the two loop roads really did loop around. They did but I could do the first one only if I wanted to cut down a fifteen foot pine tree going in the road. Second one had tracks so faint I could barely follow them. Both loops I had to try from two directions before finally figuring it out. I couldn't have done it without the Jeep. Neither one has any business being a numbered road or even being on the map.
img_84214_0_97eb1130167a7c500c42b0b9b82aec66.jpg
[/URL]

Friday we decided to fish Last Chance Creek. I'd last been there two years ago. I thought I was at the wrong spot. Last time the creek was so high the Jeep nearly floated. This time it was much lower. Spent more hours driving around before I finally realized I had the right spot after all. It was just they'd repaired the road, bushed had grown up and the lower water level through me off. Caught a few fish but nothing worth keeping. Needed to beat a 19.75" trout. I did get an 18 incher out of the the lake but I'm not getting my name on the trophy fishing the creek.

Okay, Saturday was time to go see Taylor Lake. A couple mile from the Lake I startle a huge brown bear. He dives off down the hill. Lake is beautiful as ever, not a soul camped there.

img_84214_2_12d16759cfaf15b83971853b0e5ee298.jpg
[/URL]
I continued on up around Kettle Rock. I was bummed to see they'd torn down the old Lookout. Left it laying on the hill too. A fancy new repeater sits there now.
img_84214_4_5a68c8a20f7d85cc48d039984ff2f6fe.jpg
[/URL]
Now the best part. As I continued down the mountain I see another huge brown bear (dramatic pause) and her two cubs. Mama is on the left side of the road and the cubs high tail it up a tree on the right side.Mama runs off 40 feet and stops looking none too happy. Do I drive right between a mama bear and her cubs? Well she doesn't do anything threatening so I drive on through. Now I realize what an idiot I was. They were standing still and didn't to take any pics. I drive back just in time to see mama taking off with cubs following. Not a great shot but you can see one of the cubs in this pic.

img_84214_6_11a5ce6d37ae836afe5d67a45a261f84.jpg
[/URL]
Not much more to add but I had to avoid bicyclist doing a hundred miler up the indian creek road and around the Lake. Picked up a little rain while driving home.
img_84214_8_a29662b6dfa52ee02d782afbbcc287e1.jpg
[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom