Back From Baja

chnlisle

Post Master
We're Baaaaaaaaaaaack!

We had a great trip. All of our fears about Baja were pretty stupid in hind sight. We stayed in Gonzaga the first 2 (Friday & Saturday) nights and met up with Pam's brother and his friends. The place was virtually deserted. Beautiful sunny days and windy nights. We headed to San Ignacio on Sunday and went out into the lagoon Monday. There were literally dozens of whales. Lots of mamas and calves. One pair stayed at our Panga for over 15 minutes. The baby had her head on the panga gunwale for 5 minutes at a time. The boats are only in the lagoon for a couple of hours at a time. Not like 20 years ago but so worth doing. Absolutely a life changing event. No amount of video can describe what it's like being there.

Monday we headed down to Playa Santispac for a couple of days. Again windy nights but gorgeous days. Dick (Camelracer) from Goleta and his buddy John spotted our trio of ATC's on the beach and stopped in for a short visit. It was nice to connect with fellow WTW friends so far from home. Pam and Gene's son Michael had to be back by Monday so we decided to go north west and make a stop at 7 Sisters so Michael could catch a few waves. Again great days but cold windy nights.

Friday we were back in Gonzaga. The Palapa area was still empty. The afternoon weather was spectacular and not as windy at night. Gene and Phil left at 6AM.....Barbarians! Pam and I had coffee and packed up. The trip back through San Felipe and into Mexicali was great. We stopped for breakfast at El Colorado. This a really great restaurant just north of the town of San Felipe. Terrific food and really nice people. It took about 3 hours to cross the border. Next time I'm going to try crossing at Mexicali East.

I didn't take a lot of pix but I will post them once I get them sorted out. Gene and Phil took lots and videos too so they will be forth coming as well.

Sun Man and TT should be back soon and I know they will have pix too.

"SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL STATEMENT!"
My ATC Cougar hybrid was perfect. Pam loves camping but she really enjoys it much more in this new Cougar. The Engel preformed flawlessly.

Here is a shorty video of just the whales. A longer video will be coming soon:

http://youtu.be/GYMJO_v76oA

Oh man!! That is soooo cool!
ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif

Just wondering: Why are the whales into this? I mean, what do they get out of it? Are humans really that fascinating to them? Nobody's chumming them or anything, are they -- flinging plankton from the boats?
wink.gif

Whatever the explanation -- amazing! Thanks, Gene.
smile.gif

Great video.Look forward to the longer one.

My local PBS station just ran "Ocean Giants: Deep Thinkers" which included a segment on the gray whales in Baja. Mark, the question you raise is speculated on at the end of the episode. Worth watching, definitely.

Here's a link to the episode. Online viewing expires May 4.

My local PBS station just ran "Ocean Giants: Deep Thinkers" which included a segment on the gray whales in Baja. Mark, the question you raise is speculated on at the end of the episode. Worth watching, definitely.

Here's a link to the episode. Online viewing expires May 4.

Thanks, highz. I recorded that on my DVR, and I remember the Baja whale segment, but I guess I missed the "speculation" you mention. I was probably multi-tasking too much -- watching TV at the same time as watching the Web...as I am now.
rolleyes.gif

I still have the recording -- I'll go back and watch it.

We're Baaaaaaaaaaaack!

Sun Man and TT should be back soon and I know they will have pix too.

Back indeed Jay, we crushed out an 11 hour grinder to get home today. Knackered. We left TT at the lagoon yesterday, that lucky dog has another week. Great whale experiences and other adventures as well. Glad you all had a safe trip.

Glad you had a good trip Suni. The whales were fantastic. Did you get any surf time?

We managed to catch a few...
smile.gif

gallery_311_152_226196.jpg

"SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL STATEMENT!"
My ATC Cougar hybrid was perfect. Pam loves camping but she really enjoys it much more in this new Cougar. The Engel preformed flawlessly.
[/quote]

Jay what do you mean by "Cougar hybrid"?

Frank

Frank shouldn't you be visiting Pontevedra or Lugo? Anyway we built the Cougar with no convertible couch just sort of an "L" shaped couch with the short leg of the "L" about 40" into the camper, the rest is floor space. We do have a long cabinet at the rear. You can see some of the interior in these pix.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayaronowcampersales/

Frank shouldn't you be visiting Pontevedra or Lugo? Anyway we built the Cougar with no convertible couch just sort of an "L" shaped couch with the short leg of the "L" about 40" into the camper, the rest is floor space. We do have a long cabinet at the rear. You can see some of the interior in these pix.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayaronowcampersales/

What a nice layout. Yes we went to Pontevedra. We stayed in three different cities. Three nights in Carnota,three in Combado, and the last three in Santiago de Compostila. This is an area we hope to visit again. Aside from the great food the scenery is incredible.
There is also a lot of camping all over the Galician area. Didn´t see any pop ups though. I was looking hard and had the camera ready.
Frank

It was good to meet up with Jay, Gene and Phil on the beach even if it was only for a few minutes. Those were great videos Gene.

The trip home was pretty uneventful. Hussong's was hopping with locals so the stop in Ensenada was worthwhile. We crossed at Tecate after doing business with the local polecia. They were having a sale on running yellow lights so the $100 ticket was market down to only $20 cash - no paperwork involved. It took a little over an hour to cross. Gone are the days when there were 6 cars in the line.

Here is a picture a friend sent me of Playa Coyote the week after we left. When we left there were 10 people on the beach. Got out of Dodge just in time.

Dick

Attachments

• easter el coyote.jpg
    easter el coyote.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom