Back From Cuba

chnlisle

Post Master
This place is fantastic and easier to get in and out of than Trader Joes.

Jay @ La Floridita.jpg

La Floridita was Hemmingways favorite and my least favorite place in Cuba. Unless all you want to see is Americans. Still with that the music was great and the drinks were too.

I almost flew there about 10 years ago from Cancun but had our daughter with us and I was much more law abiding back then. Looking forward to the narrative and photos.

If you work for the State Department, I'll try to shorten a long story that hapened to someone I'll Call Yaj. He arrived in Cuba with his wife and friends and stood in line with 250 others for 2.5 hours waiting for 2 Cuban customs officers to check him through. It was clear one of the officers was an a$$#ole and niether were in any hurry. Guess which officer Yaj got. The officer would only speak spanish Yaj's spanish is not terrible but not great either and even though he presented the officer with a copy of his passport for stamping after 4 or 5 minutes the officer stamped his passport and in perfect english said "welcome to Cuba." Yaj was visibly upset because he knew the penalties for "trading with the enemy." Just eating in a restaurant is considered trading with the enemy if you pay for your food.

Inspite of his concerns he had a wonderful time. Upon returning to mexico he lost his passport, went to the U.S. Consulate and was assured that it happens all the time. He was able to get a temporary Passposrt and left mexico for the U.S.A.

Yaj and his wife were still a bit freaked so they go rid of any evidence that might lead to the conclusion that they had been to Cuba. The certainly couldnt afford the $250,000 fine and niether wanted to spend the next 10 years in prison. Yaj's wife went so far as to send all of her Cuba pix in emails to herself.

Customs and immigration at the airport took about 15 minutes and the couple headed to their home. Upon arriving home the pictures never got to their email. They were devistated and only had the pictures their friends in Mexico sent them.

He told me to tell Y'all that he hopes to recover those pix and post them here, but the couple decided the will just have to make a return visit. He knows you're disappointed but sincerly apologizes. I'm sure glad that didn't happen to me.

And thats the short version!

Image.jpg

LOL - If relations ever improve between the to two countries, I would go there in a minute. It's in my favorite part of the world. I've read a lot of reports and blogs from Canadians that go there and it sould like a great place really. Glad you friend made it back.

Your "friend" sounds like quite the rebel! Sounds like "they" had a grand time. Hope his passport turnaround time is quick.

Back
Top Bottom