Back to Leavitt Lake

And some fish/fishing photo's to boot! The scenery is beautiful. I guess I'll have to work on my blog from the weekend so everyone can see how the other half camps. ;)

WHAT A GREAT TRIP !

Dog and I have been into Leavitt Lake for 3 different day trips...time for an overnighter and a hike to Leavitt Peak...

Road in used to be really rough with lots of tipping potential...years ago there were many roads to explore off to the northwest but they have since been closed...

keep up the incredible photos and story line !!!

Can you tell me about shape of the road up tp the lake? I am most interested in how rough is the first water crossing? Last year I was getting a little uncomfortable about crossing it.

Thank you,

Darryl

Darryla said:
Can you tell me about shape of the road up tp the lake? I am most interested in how rough is the first water crossing? Last year I was getting a little uncomfortable about crossing it.

Thank you,

Darryl
Darryl, the first water crossing is the same as last year. The dip entering is deep but we have a great departure angle with nothing hanging off the back. The sharp corner climbing out is a little worse. It continues to erode out as idiots drive straight down over the rock to the left. The rocky sections above are worse than last year. That's the Lady's observation and I agree. From what I saw with people's driving skills - or lack of - this is caused by folks with large jacked up trucks convinced that speed and power gets you to the top. A lot of rocks are being moved and the trail widened as more attempt to go around. Sad.

Overall, if you made it last year you should do okay. Slow is pro.

do you by chance carry a long metal bar for leverage to pry/move large displaced rocks that may be hazardous to try to get over ?
i have thought about investing in one of these since i have had to back out of some narly/impossible areas...

thx much
aceblackdog

Leavitt Lake has been on my list since I first discovered FWC's. It looks like an awesome place and your hike to the peak is fueling my desire to go even more. I went to Funnel Lake in early June and I have no desire to go back due to the road and it's rocky condition.

How would you compare the road to Leavitt vs. Funnel? Thanks again for your reports and photos.

ACEBLACKDOG said:
do you by chance carry a long metal bar for leverage to pry/move large displaced rocks that may be hazardous to try to get over ?
i have thought about investing in one of these since i have had to back out of some narly/impossible areas...
Nope, if the road gets bad we don't go. We do a lot of walking, scouting, evaluating. It keeps us fit and healthy.

ETAV8R said:
How would you compare the road to Leavitt vs. Funnel? Thanks again for your reports and photos.
Haven't been up Funnel or Laurel Lakes so can't compare. The rocky sections up to Leavitt are fairly short.

I have been to Laurel Lakes and its a bit different. The rocky part is slow and rough, but not too long. Many switch backs, not good for a large truck. The only place to camp that has multiple camp spots is half way up. Only two camp sites at the lake as I recall. It was fun, but a little hairly for me as I drove it by myself. Where is Funnel?

Back
Top Bottom