Back Up Camera - Fleet/Tacoma

Longbeard87

Advanced Member
Any tips or recommendations for installing a camera on the back of the Fleet? We have the camera system in our Tacoma but the actual camera is on the tailgate. I thought I saw somewhere somebody added it to their camper. Thanks for anything that can be shared.

We don't have our Fleet/Tacoma yet, but when we ordered the camper thru MLO we bought a kit that mounts your
tailgate camera to somewhere around the license plate. $219.00 installed.
A call to any FWC dealer should do the trick.

When I installed the flatbed I bought a second camera off of ebay which I mounted to the back edge of the flatbed. That way I could leave the original camera in the tailgate and sell it as a unit. The camera I bought was for a RAV4, so the mount was different but the camera and connector were the same as the one from a 2016 Tacoma.

For hardware and cables I recomend these guys - https://camera-source.com/

I have used there stuff on my last 3 trucks.

On my Hawk (on a GMC) I mounted the camera just above the door and just ran a wire down the outside. I used metal wire holders from home Depot to secure the wire and attached it to the FWC screws around the door frame. Took about 20 minutes.

Rear-View Camera Review:

The one thing I haven't liked about driving my Fleet/Tacoma rig was the poor rear vision. I could see a little of the road behind in the inside rear-view mirror, down the aisle of the camper, but it was pretty limited. I felt a little uneasy driving that way. Larger, wider outside mirrors, that flip out, helped a lot but the situation was still far from ideal. So, I finally invested in a rear-view camera and monitor. So much better! Now, I'm totally comfortable driving my rig.

The setup I got was from a company called Rear View Safety. It seems to be very well made and this company's customer service was good. Now that I have it, the ~$270 price seems totally worth it.

I mounted the the monitor atop the dashboard with an adjustable bracket that I had to buy in addition to the camera/monitor kit. The clip-on (to the truck mirror) monitor turned out not to be a good choice. When the monitor is in place, I remove the inside mirror, improving my forward vision, too. The monitor is plenty bright and dims automatically when it gets dark. The display is not super high-resolution, but it's certainly adequate. Brightness, contrast, and a bunch of other settings are adjustable with a small remote or with buttons on the monitor. Infared LEDs in the camera light up the scene behind the truck at night.

The monitor is wired into the backup light circuit and provides a set of adjustable grid lines on the display when in reverse, to help with backing. There is also a microphone in the camera and a speaker in the monitor. These come on in reverse, with adjustable volume, so you can hear someone giving directions when backing.

I mounted the camera right above the camper door, in the center of the camper, using one existing screw and one new screw. I made a bracket, but could probably have gotten by with the bracket that came with the camera. My mount is very solid, so the camera doesn't bounce around. I ran the cable into the camper through a hole in the rear wall and into the gas bottle compartment, where it plugs into the cable from the truck. Inside the compartment, this connection is out of the weather. When the camper is off the truck, the end of the truck cable stores in one of the the small compartments in the wall of the Tacoma bed. The monitor also unplugs, so I remove it from the mount and re-install the inside mirror.

All-in-all, it's a good, high-quality setup, which I would recommend.

- Bernard

I just did this but on a RAM. I just bought another set of OEM wiring. Mounted the camera in the platform I had to build to raise my Eagle to fit in the RAM bed.

See the picture of how I mounted it. Not as high as the tailgate but works.

Attachments

• 20161120_121332.jpg
    20161120_121332.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 106
Longbeard,

We removed our camera from the tailgate, fabricated an Lbracket to mount the camera then bolted it to the bottom of the camper, Our camper is mounted full time. The cable plugs into a connector behind the bumper, so I suppose you could move it back and forth if necessary.

I believe at the time we did that (2013) there were not any aftermarket cameras that worked with the factory monitor built into the back-up mirror. We considered buying a second camera assembly from Toyota, however the price was too high. You might check with the junk yards for availability.

See installed picture.
gallery_2684_425_6361.jpg

Has anyone wired their rear view camera to give them a full time rear view instead of just when the truck is in reverse.

I know it can be done, but I don't know how. I think it must involve wiring the power to a point that comes on when the ignition is on

Mike

Not sure if this will work for you, but I have a Garmin GPS and added a BC 30 wireless backup camera to. I like a portable gps since I drive different trucks, now I can have a backup camera in both trucks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom