Back-up Camera Thread

MarkBC said:
Hmmm... Interesting, thanks. Good to know that there are patches to fix the known problems. I think I have one or more of that brand of cam. :unsure:
This sounds a little different than the wi-fi back-up camera issue, since the articles talk about attack via the Internet, and a recommended solution is to not let them be available via the Internet...that is, the vulnerability isn't because they're wireless, it's because they're open to the Internet. But maybe the risk is worse when they're open to the whole world of bad guys via the Internet, but the same vulnerability could be used by a hacker standing next to your cam directly via the WiFi....I wonder..
Yes, the hacker has to see your camera signal to use it to access the computer so we are talking about needing some proximity. Again, not likely an issue in the desert, but more so in urban areas.

takesiteasy said:
Yes, the hacker has to see your camera signal to use it to access the computer so we are talking about needing some proximity. Again, not likely an issue in the desert, but more so in urban areas.
Do you have any links about accessing/hacking a camera via it's wifi signal (rather than over the Internet as those links above describe)?

On the other hand... maybe I should look it up myself. I'll learn more. :)

bryanmichaelmeyer said:
Can anyone help with confirm that this will work with my 2013 tacoma that I took the tailgate off of?

They advertise plug and play but a year ago this was impossible to find.

Thanks a lot!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-13-Toyota-Tacoma-Tailgate-Handle-Backup-Camera-PLUG-amp-PLAY-/281329685600?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Bryan
I bought an OEM camera from eBay last year and the wiring harness from an online Toyota dealer. That was indeed plug-and-play. The camera in this listing looks different from the OEM version, so caveat emptor. It is a different seller, too. I bought mine from round2storedallas who had a one time lot of units.

You might post the question about this particular item over on the TacomaWorld.com forums. There are lots of DIY and mod folks there.

MarkBC said:
Do you have any links about accessing/hacking a camera via it's wifi signal (rather than over the Internet as those links above describe)?

On the other hand... maybe I should look it up myself. I'll learn more. :)
First hand research on your part is probably a good idea. i don't really understand this stuff. I'm just cautious with my web/wireless connectivity based on things I've heard from others.

Greetings

As a relatively new member, I wanted to share what I did remounting the backup camera on my Toyota Tacoma. I recently purchased a FWC Eagle and wanted to avoid having to remove the wring every time I removed the tailgate. This Tacoma has Aluminess bumpers installed which added their own mounting challenges.

After a fair amount of time looking at options and factoring in the fact that I wanted the camera to be able to survive some moderately aggressive off road-ing, I ended up making a bracket out of some aluminum I had in the shop. As most of you know, the OEM wiring harness is quite long which made the job pretty easy.

After determining the location, I mocked up a piece of aluminum angle. The hardest part was making the hole for the camera back tight enough so it would not wiggle loose. I used the two small screw that hold the camera to the original plastic base and drilled holes in the aluminum.

Image 2.jpg

Some paint and a few stainless bolts, and this is what I ended up with.

Image.jpgImage 1.jpg

The view to the rear is far better than the stock location and the camera is protected from below by the frame and hitch and from the back by the inward slope of the bumper. It would take a pretty specific hit to dislodge it. If anyone needs, I can take more pictures.

Cheers

Well I finally got around to a permanent location for the camera in the camper. I used an OEM camera and harness purchased from eBay. It was a lot of fussing around trying alternative approaches but I eventually got to a solution. Lots of time pondering at the hardware store. I modified a standard electrical junction box to hold the camera and allow future service. The box conceals the wires and holes in the floor and the wall. The camera plugs in just like the tailgate camera so no issue when the camper comes off the truck. It is well protected from the elements and other hazards. The camera gives a nice unobstructed view behind the camper. I am happy with the result.

You can see larger versions of the photos on the blog: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/relocated-back-up-camera.html

IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

I kept my Tacoma camera relocation simple. I remove the wiring and camera from the tailgate, cut, bent and drilled a couple pieces of small aluminum stock and screwed it to the bottom of the center.

Maybe some day I'll get another camera and put it back in the tailgate. But it really isn't needed for such a small truck anyway IMO.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the backup camera on a Silverado. I have a 2015 with a tailgate camera. When the new Hawk comes and I remove the tailgate, I know I will miss the convenience of having the camera viewable through the stock video/information console. I love the tracking lines. It seems to me the best solution for me would be to find another OEM camera harness and compatible camera, find a suitable location to mount the camera, and just plug in the new setup when the tailgate is removed. Because the truck is going to be a daily driver and work truck when the Hawk is not mounted, I want to easily be able to transition from stock tailgate camera to new iteration.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I just installed a new garmin nuvi 2798LMT gps with wireless backup camera. It also has a smartphone app so you can find your location on the phone and send it to the gps. So far I really like it. I was too lazy to hard wire the camera transmitter to my backup light and just used the trucks trailer connector. Took me about 5 minutes to install:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

The Garmin looks interesting especially if there is a way to perhaps mount its backup camera to the camper and use the app on your smart phone as a security monitor when parked. A double duty thing.

dasadab I have a 2015 2500 GMC for over a year I wondered what I should do to get a back-up camera working as it did when I had my tailgate on. Finally I took apart my tailgate to remove the camera and see if there was a way to mount it on the back of the camper. After doing it I don't know what took me so long.

The first thing I noticed after I removed the camera was the part number in huge letters 22803702. If you google GM part 22803702 you will find that the part is about $100 after shipping around $130. If you go to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/22803702
there is a line near the top "Make sure this part fits your car" you can check to see if this part also will fit your truck. GM uses this camera in a lot of different cars I expect it is the right one for your truck. I just bent a couple of pieces of aluminum that I had on my work bench drilled a couple of holes and screwed it onto the base of the camper where it sticks out beyond the bed of the truck. I did buy a new one and mounted it back into the tailgate.

The advantage to buying the camera that you posted a link to is that when removing the camper or the tailgate you would not have to slide under the truck to plug or unplug the camera. The plug on the truck is on the drivers side between the spare and the bumper. I have found that I need to drop the spare down a bit to fish the wire over to where the plug is. The plug on the camera you are exploring looks to be the same as on mine.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nDOiTuI5IeI/VlOEW7QGZlI/AAAAAAAAQio/87pLRqdyVAo/s640-Ic42/IMG_4123.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dKPn7Ymqh50/VlOEXapDIXI/AAAAAAAAQiw/ZwLSaKiI7-I/s640-Ic42/IMG_4124.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y-rVdV5cfig/VlOEX1wjV3I/AAAAAAAAQi0/TgBxMdhpMbM/s640-Ic42/IMG_4125.JPG

dasadab said:
Just found this link. I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado with the factory rear vision camera. It looks like for $200 this unit should just plug into the existing factory camera harness and allow mounting of the camera in a suitable location when the tailgate is off the truck.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2015-sierra-silverado-plug-play-camper-camera-kit-mini-universal-cam.html

Before I buy this, anyone of you smart folks see anything I might be missing?
I just ordered one for my f150. I like that it plugs right into the factory harness and will play through my stock display.
https://camera-source.com/ford-truck-salt-spreader-camper-camera-kit-1697.html

I'll report back on how well it works.

Does anyone know if 2012-2015 3rd party Tacoma plug and play backup cameras (e.g., Camera Source or several being sold on eBay) are likely compatible with a 2016 Tacoma? I'm picking up my new FWC Fleet in a couple of weeks(!) and would like to install a separate camera on the part-time camper rather than take it from my 2016 tailgate.
This is my first post. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Icansmelldiesel

Thanks for the post about that F150 Camera. I was able to see they have the camera for my F250 :)

Have you had a chance to install and test... any issues?

XJINTX said:
Icansmelldiesel

Thanks for the post about that F150 Camera. I was able to see they have the camera for my F250 :)

Have you had a chance to install and test... any issues?
I received and installed it yesterday.

After removing my tailgate with the stock camera, the adapter connections clicked into place. But the camera did not work. I just got an error message on my screen.

I contacted camera source and they're going to send me a replacement tomorrow.

I'll keep you updated. But the preliminary results are not good.

Back
Top Bottom