Backcountry Truck Repair Stories

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
On our latest trip we had a mechanical issue. With some McGyvering we solved the problem with a field repair.

Let's hear your stories of how you have saved the day with duct tape, paper clip, leatherman tool, or whatever. Bring on the stories! :)

On a trip to Arkansas, back on the dirt roads 20+ miles from any town, driving in our 4x4 suburban we hit a heavy washboard section, the truck shuddered and the engine quit. I discovered no fuel to the carb(actually a TBI), fuel pump was dead. Dribbled a bit of coleman fuel into the TBI and she fired right up. I propped the hood up with a tent pole, sat under the hood dribbling fuel into the TBI while my wife drove slowly, after about 10 miles we got to a chicken farm with a phone. Got a great tour of the farm while we waited for a tow to town. Sure was glad I always carried extra stove/lantern fuel with us. Don't know what I would do now, everything is propane.

Beach said:
On a trip to Arkansas, back on the dirt roads 20+ miles from any town, driving in our 4x4 suburban we hit a heavy washboard section, the truck shuddered and the engine quit. I discovered no fuel to the carb(actually a TBI), fuel pump was dead. Dribbled a bit of coleman fuel into the TBI and she fired right up. I propped the hood up with a tent pole, sat under the hood dribbling fuel into the TBI while my wife drove slowly, after about 10 miles we got to a chicken farm with a phone. Got a great tour of the farm while we waited for a tow to town. Sure was glad I always carried extra stove/lantern fuel with us. Don't know what I would do now, everything is propane.
That is a good one! Thanks. Who's next?

Beach said:
Uh, I may have breached WTW protocol and checked this Mcgyver against the SO. Answer: "We're not doing that! We walk."
{Good job, Beach & wife!} We recounted our various missteps and decided we don't have a good story to add. (yet)

While I'm on the subject, Ski, what was your impetus to this thread? Clearly there's a story to be told. :)

While I'm on the subject, Ski, what was your impetus to this thread? Clearly there's a story to be told.
smile.png
Yes, please, do tell!

Let's see here: "Unsticking" does not apply here, and I've got some epic "unsticking" stories from my mineral exploration days, when sometimes it seemed like ALL we did was unstick trucks. So, field repairs:

1) punctured the oil filter on a '67 IH Scout (horrible design placed the oil filter where flying rocks or sticks could whack it). Had a spare filter and oil on board due to having just been to the parts store prepping for a change on an upcoming day off, but no filter wrench. Made a Polish filter wrench out of a strip of canvas tarpaulin and a long box-end wrench, using the wrench to twist the loop-tied strip to grip the filter and two hands on either end of the filter to apply torque. Came right off. Bloody awful mess created on a strip-mine bench in upper East Tennessee, not to mention covering myself in mud and oil in the process, but I "got 'er done".Never heard from the EPA, and I think the statute has run, anyway.

2) repaired broken rear leaf spring shackle bolt on the same Scout, along Hell For Certain Creek, KY. Had I continued on, I'd likely have lost the whole axle housing to "walking forward and back" until the forward bolt at the opposite end of the leaf failed, which would have removed the whole rear axle housing, pulling apart the slip joint on the rear driveshaft. Had to do something. Used a standard bumper jack, logs and rocks to chock the wheels, cut and trimmed/notched a stout oak sapling/small tree for a 12' long lever, notched another short piece of a larger diameter log for a fulcrum, and danced back and forth between the jack hoisting the truck and the log supporting the rear axle housing in order to get the spring eye in the exact position needed to insert a large bolt out of the bottom of the tool box. Never know when you'll need that stuff. Took two of us about 4 hours to do the job, but that was less time than it'd have taken to walk out and come back with help. No way to get a wrecker to me, anyway. More mineral exploration follies.

3) Bent the crap out of the tie rod on the same Scout (Hmmm, seems to be a pattern here), this time in the old Virginia Piedmont gold and base metal mining district. Drove the truck toed out to a ridiculous degree to the workshop of the farmer whose mineral lease we were working. Used scrap angle iron for an anvil, pounded the tie rod more or less straight, drilled some holes in each end of another length of angle, scrounged 1 small "U" bolt from him, rigged other bolts and a piece of scrap in order to apply further leverage "pulling" the tie rod straighter (turn the nuts until we were afraid of stripping, applying pressure to the tie rod, whale away with the sledge hammer, tighten the nuts again, rinse, repeat. About 3 hours on a bitter cold January day, then drove an hour back to Charlottesville.

4) Discovered the Scout's heater fan blower not working just prior to a long weekend trip from Charlottesville to Raleigh with my girlfriend, now wife of 36 years. December/January 1976/1977, an epic cold snap in the East. Worked all day with a daytime high in the teens. Outside temp in the single digits for the trip. Took several cardboard boxes and covered the entire grill, secured with bungees and duct tape. Cut/shaped more to block air from entering the engine compartment from below the oil pan, secured with coat hangers and duct tape. Helped my girl into my 0 degree-rated sleeping bag, open above the waist in order to get a lap belt on her. Put on my work clothes of long johns, heavy jeans, down vest, ski gloves, and a wool watch cap. Only 4 hours later pulled in to my family's place with my girl. The radiiant heat off of the engine and the uninsulated firewall/floorboards combined to let a respectable amount of heat into the cabin. Looked like "The Clampetts Go Home to Meet the Family", but we got there without frostbite. Oh, and it was the first time she met them. She still married me a year and a half later, we're still married, and I still have the Scout!

Foy

Ted said:
Yes, please, do tell!
I knew there would be stories so much better than mine. Let's hear some more epics!

Ted, I'll get it posted one of these days.........................

Hmmm, you want the story where we used a winch cable to hold the axle in place or used a high lift jack handle to repair a tie rod or the more "interesting" stories. Like the time I was under the hood of the Jeep working on the starter solenoid when it began to roll away backwards down the hill, the hood flying off and crazy man running after it?

Foy your stories are good. Lots of ideas and spur of the moment solutions to a problem that would have left you stranded I am sure.
Don't have and "camping" stories. But back in the 50's as a young scout, I was a Sea Scout in the Philadelphia area, actually we were almost river pirates.

Out "troop" had an old WW 2 air rescue boat. Sorta like a 42' version of a PT boat.
Well we were on the Delaware River and ran over a shoal and damaged one of the props. Having just seen the movie African Queen I figured I could straighten out the damaged blade.
It actually worked out much like the movie,no welding needed, just some heat and hammer blows. And of course no LEECHES.
It was an interesting time we spent on that trip. From the Philly area to Annapolis and back.
I don't think kids do much of that stuff now.
What a fun time we had as kids in the 50's.

Frank

This story is a bit off topic but it is a good memory and I hope in the spirit of Ski's post.

Like Frank I don't have any camper related tales- thankfully nothing has broken yet on our truck. But I do remember as a young man returning with my wife from a canoe trip in the BWCA and having a u-joint fail in the middle of nowhere. We of course had no money or illusions of getting someone else to fix it. I saw a farm house and limped in to the yard. Knocked on the door and explained our predicament to a pleasant "old" farmer (probably about my age now). Pretty soon, his two older brothers came out to join the conversation. I kid you not- 3 norwegian bachelor farmer brothers, the youngest about 65 and the others older and oldest. I explained that I had a spare u-joint at home and if I could use their phone to call my brother, I was sure he would drive it up and we could fix it and be on our way (it was only about 4 hours one-way to home, haha). This of course made total sense to them. No point spending money if not necessary. We spent a lovely afternoon with them (their sister, also old, soon turned up and made us some food. Eventually my brother showed up and we fixed the car- with an interested audience paying close attention- and were on our way.

This is more of an epic mini TR than a specific trail/back-country fix. On my way to crew/chase the Vegas to Reno Desert race in 2002 (I *think*), going up CA 14 just out of Acton I sweep the gauges and got no oil pressure! Kick it out of gear, turn it off being careful to not lock the steering column in the process, and coast down an off ramp. Now what? Open the hood and it's got oil all over everything, everywhere. Front crank seal has been shredded, and it backs up to the engine's oil pump. Argh. Have 2 quarts of engine oil and a quart of ATF (PS fluid for yota's). Dump that in knowing that it's not going to get me very far, so look around for a destination before starting the truck again. Can see a parts store about a mile away (what are those odds?). They don't have the seal by itself, but they do have a front timing cover gasket set that has one (& many cases of oil).

Now where to do this fun job? It's August, mid-afternoon, and I'm basically in the high desert. I recalled that one of the SoCA Early Bronco mailing list guys lived in the area, maybe he would have a suggestion? The parts store had phone book, so I had a look and was able to find him. "Uncle Bob" (or "UB" as he's known)said "Where are you?" when he figured out who I was and why I was calling. I told him. "I'll come get you, you can do it in my swamp cooled garage." I told him that it was going to make a big mess, I didn't want to dirty up his garage. He insisted and hung up. A short while later he has pulled his EB out and has me park inside (where it was blessedly cool!). I had the tools needed and knew the job, but listening to UB's very welcome stories of desert racing adventures made the job take almost twice as long.

Which put me way, way behind in meeting up with the team in LV. Still to come was the race itself and riding the Cruiser Classic down the Pioneer Trail, and camping in Skillman Camp where I didn't see the bear.

Can't top those stories but here are mine:

1. Rattling down a washboard road on the Pacific side of Baja in an '81 Toyota 4x4 at about 50 and hear a big "whack!" under the floorboards and lose power. Look under the truck and my fears are confirmed when I see the front end of the driveshaft hanging down in the dirt. Lucky it didn't pole-vault us. All four bolts gone. As my buddy and I contemplate who's walking 20 miles to town and who's staying with the truck (while not bringing up the fact that we broke a cardinal Baja rule by traveling with only one rig) it dawns on us that there are eight bolts in the four-wheel drive shaft. I took two out of each end of that to re-install the main driveshaft. We drove into town and bought some used bolts at the ferreteria to shore up the front drive shaft for the rest of the trip. Sold the truck with those bolts still in it!

2. Same truck, another trip, this time down the Cortez side. Between Puertocitos and Gonzaga we stopped to the truck only to find it wouldn't re-start. The battery cable had rattled off and we had completely drained the battery. A local fisherman came by in a '70s Chevy tried to jump our battery but it was too far gone. He gave us a lift down to his fish camp (=shacks made of pallets and a couple pangas). My buddy followed on the dirt bike...does that qualify as a second rig? There in the middle of camp was a giant marine battery with a radio hooked up to it. For $20 and some Pacificos he gave us the battery and a ride back to the truck. Put it in, complete with part of the Pacifico box over the terminals so they wouldn't short out on the hood and finished the week-long trip. Then my exhaust sprung a leak and melted the air shock air line so the rear sagged like one of those cool race trucks but rode like sh**. Had a great time though!

3. '88 Toyota 4x4 with a Skamper pop-up, going down the road toward Santa Rosalillita with my wife. Before it was paved that road rattled your teeth out. The two-track down in the wash looked like a better option, smoothed over by that nice talcy moon dust....cruising slow through the dust because you can't see what lies beneath, and wham! I still don't know what it was under that dust, but the whole truck convulsed and bucked like hell. I looked back and all four turnbuckles were gone and the camper slid back about two feet. I said "Oh, we're f***ed!" Which turned out to be a very poor choice of words. She started crying immediately. I took off my flip flops and starting sliding my feet around in the moon dust to find the turnbuckles that it swallowed. I only found two, which were enough to get us down to Guerrero Negro to tour another ferreteria.

Oh Mexico....can't wait to go again!

Okay, it seems I've spent a good part of my life getting "unstuck" or fixing something so I can get "unstuck" again. Many of these adventures have been told by all of us in several threads concerning "being prepared" for that unplanned for "happening" and "hopefully" taking or doing the right thing. sooo., some common sense, some duck tape, tin foil, a handy man(sorry Ski-but I'm a fan of them) and a good swiss army knife will save you from becoming a " Stupfa". Right? Wrong. a long time ago I mentioned an event that almost made me a statistic. In the spring of 1981, I was driving out in the high desert south of Smoke Creek when my brand new issue chev "Lov" 4x4 just stopped -right in the middle of nowhere-no warning, no noise, no nothing. No electric power at all and no matter what I trouble shoot, I could not get it going---it was dead. And off I walked to find the force account crew over the hill and into another adventure! So what was wrong with "the love" that such a well trained field type like myself could not fix?

Well, it was the first one in our district-some upper level penny pincher thought we could save money by using cheap small 4x4 instead of our usual power wagons. I did protest being given this thing, you could turn it around on a 4x4 tract better than a big rig when it could not keep going -but the big rig could keep going. Was there any history of these things just stopping and going dead. Not in our records. It seems the usfs had been using them for a few years on their nice gravel roads and was having that problem and found a solution-but did the solution get passed on to the BLM --no of course not. A buddy of mine was reading a fs memo and found the solution in back and white.--there was plug under the transmission that connected to the main electric system that could be pulled out by brush or bumps or what ever and the world stopped. Just tape it up ot plug it back in and off you go.Lot's of memos went out after this event--and oh yes I got me a new 3/4 ton power wagon and never looked back.

So sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Me thinks this adventure was one of those.

Smoke

Smoke,

I ran one of those Chevy "LUV" (Light Utlity Vehicle) 4x4 pickups for my last 3 years of mineral exploration (1981-1983), and ran it from Mississippi to Maine, MIchigan, Georgia, SC, NC, and VA. They were sold elsewhere in the world as an Isuzu KB-40 pickup. Kept it for 3 years after changing careers. It wasn't much for off-road capability, excepting how light it was--would cross mudholes which would swallow the fullsize rigs. And, like you said, easy to turn around at a washout or other dead-end. Prone to fuel line breakage where a segment of flex line and the fuel filter were exposed under the rocker panel. Always kept a fuel filter and a few feet of rubber fuel line on board because of that. Same segment of fuel line would get encased in ice from spray in winter. Any moiisture in the fuel would freeze in the line right there. Kept a methanol de-icer on board because of that. Only the impending arrival of our second son triggered the sale of the little LUV. She had 140,000 hard miles on her by then, and still ran, as we say around here, "like a sewing machine".

Foy

Not the story that prompted this topic......................................................

This is in line with takesiteasy's story, about how you sometimes meet the nicest people. Here's a lesson we learned the hard way about a full sized spare............................

Years ago we were exploring Nevada's backcountry with our first Ford Ranger pickup. We had never had a flat tire in all of our wanderings and the possibly of a flat moved farther and farther back in our minds. On a narrow two track road in sand our truck suddenly bogged down. The right rear tire was flat. We got out the jack and the spare tire. I had given the spare a quick inspection when we bought the truck and noticed it looked smaller but thought, "Isn't that the norm these days?" Well in the time of need we discovered it was not only smaller but also did not fit the truck.

We made a plan. It was time to hike out to highway 50 (12-15 miles) and hitch a ride. We inventoried our packs and set out. We spotted a pickup truck out ahead as we hiked. The fellow worked for a power company that was developing geothermal in the area and he was checking a well head. He offered us a ride to highway 50 and got on his radio. He arranged for an employee to meet him at 50, pick us up, and drive us into Fallon. He wouldn't have it any other way. The Lady has a knack for getting folks into conversation and we learned so much from these two very nice guys about their lives, work, and life in rural Nevada. Neither would consider any kind of compensation for their help.

We got a motel room in Fallon. We knew this was going to take some time and was before cell phones. First call was to Triple A for roadside help. "We don't go on dirt roads," the area AAA service truck operator told us. "But probably 80% of the roads in Churchill County are dirt," I argued. "Sorry sir," was the only answer. It was suggested to call Les Schwab Tires. We'd have to wait until they had a guy free but they'd pick us up at the motel with a full size spare tire ready and drive us out to retrieve the truck. I was concerned we'd return well after closing time. "No problem, don't worry."

It was a long drive. The Lady worked her magic. The young guy driving didn't have a chance. But what a nice guy he was, newly married, was concerned the marriage wouldn't last, loved Nevada, and loved his job and the opportunity to help people.

We bought a set of tires and that full size spare they had made up. We finished up at the store after 10 pm. The manager, besides himself, had two other guys on after hours.

That remains our only flat but we are now well prepared. Lesson learned.

My pal was was driving us in his old Suburban through Baja to his beach shack on the Sea of Cortez on a dirt road miles from nowhere when the tranny started slipping. Soon we could not move at all. He crawled under and found a hole in the side of the tranny.
I figured we were toast, bound to die of starvation or thirst. He just grabbed his spare quarts of motor oil and dumped it in. We got a few miles to a farmhouse where he begged some more oil. We leapfrogged to farms and used any kind of oil they could spare. Even cooking oil. Got us to his place where he could patch the hole. I was duly impressed.

Another time I was in my 72 VW van and it quit. I was stuck and could not figure out what was wrong. I finally pulled the fuel line and cranked. No fuel. I pulled the fuel pump and the pushrod that rides the cam was frozen. I put a drop of oil on it and it freed up. That got me about 2 miles before it froze again. I pulled it and oiled it again. Rinse and repeat every 2 miles until I reached civilization.

I was out camping in the desert at one of Patton's Camps with my old Ford Ranger 4x4. After packing up to go home, I hit the starter and just heard a loud high pitched whine as it spun freely. Looked under the truck and the starter had fallen completely out and was hanging by the wires. No bolts to seen. I crammed it back in the hole but it would not stay. There was a large gap from the back of starter to the firewall. I folded up a bunch of scrap cardboard and wedged it behind the starter. It held long enough to reach Desert Center where they raped me for an ungodly amount for a couple bolts.

Be prepared.

ski3pin said:
Not the story that prompted this topic......................................................

This is in line with takesiteasy's story, about how you sometimes meet the nicest people. Here's a lesson we learned the hard way about a full sized spare............................

Years ago we were exploring Nevada's backcountry with our first Ford Ranger pickup. We had never had a flat tire in all of our wanderings and the possibly of a flat moved farther and farther back in our minds. On a narrow two track road in sand our truck suddenly bogged down. The right rear tire was flat. We got out the jack and the spare tire. I had given the spare a quick inspection when we bought the truck and noticed it looked smaller but thought, "Isn't that the norm these days?" Well in the time of need we discovered it was not only smaller but also did not fit the truck.

We made a plan. It was time to hike out to highway 50 (12-15 miles) and hitch a ride. We inventoried our packs and set out. We spotted a pickup truck out ahead as we hiked. The fellow worked for a power company that was developing geothermal in the area and he was checking a well head. He offered us a ride to highway 50 and got on his radio. He arranged for an employee to meet him at 50, pick us up, and drive us into Fallon. He wouldn't have it any other way. The Lady has a knack for getting folks into conversation and we learned so much from these two very nice guys about their lives, work, and life in rural Nevada. Neither would consider any kind of compensation for their help.

We got a motel room in Fallon. We knew this was going to take some time and was before cell phones. First call was to Triple A for roadside help. "We don't go on dirt roads," the area AAA service truck operator told us. "But probably 80% of the roads in Churchill County are dirt," I argued. "Sorry sir," was the only answer. It was suggested to call Les Schwab Tires. We'd have to wait until they had a guy free but they'd pick us up at the motel with a full size spare tire ready and drive us out to retrieve the truck. I was concerned we'd return well after closing time. "No problem, don't worry."

It was a long drive. The Lady worked her magic. The young guy driving didn't have a chance. But what a nice guy he was, newly married, was concerned the marriage wouldn't last, loved Nevada, and loved his job and the opportunity to help people.

We bought a set of tires and that full size spare they had made up. We finished up at the store after 10 pm. The manager, besides himself, had two other guys on after hours.

That remains our only flat but we are now well prepared. Lesson learned.
I like that story.Have you seen the commercials for Les Schwab? They tell of similar stories of how they take care of people in "auto"need. I have purchased a couple sets of tires from them over the years,loved doing business with them.
Only wish we had a store here near home. I would definitely take my business there.
Frank

Oh nice idea for a thread.

Ski-that tire story reminded me of another "donut tire" story. Was supposed to meet a contractor out in Dry Valley (Smoke Creek Desert area) to do a project. you need a high clearance or 4x4 to get around out there. He had to fly in from Wyoming to Reno-then pick up a rig and drive out to the site. He got there in some type small 4x4 rig. We worked on the project for a while and got ready to leave--and off course, he had a flat tire & when we checked the spare it was a donut tire. We were about 30 miles from Nixion Nevada (50 or so miles to Susanville)-where maybe he could get a tire. We put it on and I followed him as he drove vary slowly out to the nearest paved road. We both learned to check the spare tire when you rent a rig, especially if you had to work in the back country. Yep always be prepared. Had a happy ending anyway.

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom