Backup camera for new Tacoma TRD Prerunner with Fleet unit ?

Fred Stevens

This question must have been asked before but I don’t see it in the current list of forum topics. What are people using for a backup camera for a Fleet unit mounted on a 2013 and later Tacoma Prerunner TRD? The vehicle comes with a backup camera but it’s in the tailgate which of course has to be removed for the Fleet insert--a problem. Googling, I see lots of third party backup camera options, some wireless, some not. Most mount a screen via suction cup on the dash, a solution I would rather avoid. Ideally I’d like to get a backup unit that displays on the Tacoma’s dashboard screen. Is that possible?

Fred, the easiest (cheapest) solution is to remove the camera and wiring from your existing tailgate and install it in a custom
mount on your camper bottom or above the license plate on the truck (if you are going to move the camper on and off the truck). I say cheapest because the camera costs $900. Click on "my build" in my signature and scroll down to see it installed.

The mount was fabricated by a local "mobile electronics" store here in Oceanside.

Use the screen in your rear view mirror and the cable plug under truck bed.

Hello Fred,

I have a 2010 Tacoma. I removed the camera from the tailgate and mounted it on the back of my camper.
I used an outdoor electrical box with cover that I found at lowes or home depot, and some non metallic flexible conduit for routing the wire. I had to get some more wire and splice it in to extend the camera wire. I like the camera mounted high for a better view.
IMGP1937.JPG
IMGP1939.JPG
IMGP1940.JPG

Took me less than an hour to remove from the tailgate of my tundra and remount it. I have a wood platform under my ATC for bed clearance and screwed it right into that. I can easily reinstall it to the tailgate when needed. I have an excellent range of view even mounted low due to the extensive fisheye of the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 139

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom