Backup camera

Where is the best place to mount a camera to replace the stock tailgate cam on a Tundra? Mounting on the license plate provides little if any depth perception and the license plate lights blind it. Middle of the Hawk's door seems like the best spot but requires the wires to flex - not sure if that is a problem. Ideas?

Jack, just above the license plate in the body of the truck there are 2 holes about 12” apart that accept an 8mm threaded bolt.
I took a piece of aluminum flat bar, drilled holes to match and can install the camera in 5 minutes. There’s a hole in the body
about 1” x 2” to run the wiring through. Every other spot I tried to mount seemed to invite kicking the camera or exposing long lengths of wire.

I placed about where Lobster1 did also but on my Superduty... works fine except when towing ;)

Lobster1 said:
Jack, just above the license plate in the body of the truck there are 2 holes about 12” apart that accept an 8mm threaded bolt.
I took a piece of aluminum flat bar, drilled holes to match and can install the camera in 5 minutes. There’s a hole in the body
about 1” x 2” to run the wiring through. Every other spot I tried to mount seemed to invite kicking the camera or exposing long lengths of wire.
Lobster- That is exactly how I have the camera mounted now. It gets blinded by the license plate lights and doesn't provide the depth perception I need/want for backing into a trailer hitch. I'd like to get it up higher, but no place jumps out as a reasonable spot.

I have the camera source plug n play camera for my Tundra. I didn't want the camera at the license plate because of glare from the backup lights and fear of kicking it getting in and out. I used velcro adhesive and attached it to the right of the door (when facing the back of the camper) up about 2 feet. I stuck Velcro on the camera plus I place a loose strip over the camera mounting plate to hold it more securely. I use a few additional strips to the wire down. When I take the camper on and off it takes only a few minutes to remove the camera from the camper and truck and reconnect the factory tailgate camera.

I have the camera source one as well. Have it temporarily mounted to the license plate with their bracket and didn't really notice any real issues. I kind of thought the camera seemed to be better than the oem one. I will be moving it to the Hitchgate here pretty soon though.

IMG_7915.JPG

That's my Velcro camera mount. The lower photo is a piece of Velcro that I cut to fit between the camera and the camera mount that it is screwed to. The Velcro pad on the camper is oversized so the cut piece grabs. It's ugly. But it works!

abqbw said:
That's my Velcro camera mount. The lower photo is a piece of Velcro that I cut to fit between the camera and the camera mount that it is screwed to. The Velcro pad on the camper is oversized so the cut piece grabs. It's ugly. But it works!
I like the idea, but how did you connect it to the oem harness?

IMG_1602.jpg
I originally bought a small camera from camera source that I returned. I instead bought the bigger camera with infrared. I decided I liked mounting it up higher so I can see over my bike racks. Works great when I am backing up close to something. The angle doesn’t see very far out so backing into traffic is not as good I think as a lower position. I used screws and coated wire clamps to secure the camera wire to the door. I followed the door frame to keep the look clean. Uses the factory harness on my 2017 f350.

Escapepod said:
I like the idea, but how did you connect it to the oem harness?
The camera from camera source comes with the factory harness plug. Unplug the tailgate cam. Plug in the camera source cam. My truck is a 2011 Tundra.

abqbw said:
The camera from camera source comes with the factory harness plug. Unplug the tailgate cam. Plug in the camera source cam. My truck is a 2011 Tundra.
Sorry, I guess my question is how did you run the wire from the camera? Along the doorframe? I don't see a wire running from the camera/Velcro mount.

Escapepod said:
Sorry, I guess my question is how did you run the wire from the camera? Along the doorframe? I don't see a wire running from the camera/Velcro mount.
Sorry for the delayed response. The camera is not installed in the pic. I just run the wire along the door frame. I secure it with a couple of strips of Velcro.

abqbw said:
Sorry for the delayed response. The camera is not installed in the pic. I just run the wire along the door frame. I secure it with a couple of strips of Velcro.
Well, I didn’t like the license plate location, so I mounted the camera on the door, centered over the truck hitch. Now I have a nice view of hitch alignment for hooking up the trailer.
Image1521857713.492577.jpg

Used white electrical tape to hold the black camera wire in place. No telling how long it will last, but it’ll give me time to explore alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom