backup camera

Backin Up

The Tow Missle has a backup camera, they can be bought from about 200.00 to 1500.00. Mine is tied into my nav system therefore I already had I nice big screen, camera is mounted into licence plate frame, fully ajustable pretty cool install. The thing has saved me a couple of times. The big advantage for me is the ability to couple up to a trailer without getting out of the truck ten times. It also keeps me from backing over the occasinal Mazda Miata. EAT MORE FISH

I use one I bought on e-bay for $260 with shipping. It has a 7.5 inch screen and I wouldn't want one with anything smaller. It can be switched on anytime and switches on when in reverse. My wife insisted on it as she is short and can't see out the back.
You do get a simi fisheye view and it is hard to judge distance. I feel it is worth the investment. I got a flush mount camera instead of the surface mount and mounted it in the bumper.
dsrtrat

Backin Up

Just one more thought, remember a backup camera is really helpful in a lot of situations, you still need a good set of mirrors, have you tried to source a set of mirrors from a recycler, you can for sure find them cheaper than 600.00, thats crazy. I EAT FISH DO YOU ?

I put a set of Ford Truck mirrors on the Toyota and the larger size really helps. I could use a back up camera at times. Most of the time I can get her to go back and have a look or can memorize in my head what I have to do.

But why is it that I do the most backing up, u-turns at night. I do need better lights back there to see and that would make a huge difference. The worst times is when it is dark, muddy and have to do some backing. I just become overly conservative and it takes longer.

The Toyota is ok to back up because it is not that big. I drove an Tundra with a Hawk and with the smaller mirror on the passenger side it was hard to judge anything at night.

Boy a good set of flood lights and one of those cameras would be great:thumb:.

Costco has a decent backup camera for about $90. Mounts on the license plate and uses RF to communicate with the display. We still ended up bringing wire from the back to the engine compartment to get continuous 12V. The major problem was mounting the display in our 2006 Toyota Tacoma

Well, I gotta admit I use the Costco wireless. Not the best, but easy install and easy to use. Works great for what I need and improves my view out the back. I have it hooked up to the license plate lights....comes on when I turn on the lights, not just for backup.

I also found that if you solder the connections, there is a lot less noise. It picks up a lot of interference in the city, but out in the open it works rather well. Cheap, easy to install, Works great. I place the screen on the rear view mirror as much of the view from there is blocked by the camper now. Saves dash space.

Good luck.

Dave

Our new truck was delivered with a factory back-up camera. I removed the camera and wiring from the tailgate had a mount fabricated to bolt it to the bottom of camper.

Word of warning, driver still has to check the mirrors as there still are blind spots when parking at the malls.

I have been thinking about this as well. I often tow a moto trailer with bikes and motorcycles for my weekends in the camper. I'm thinking of mounting the camera high on the camper, so I can see the trailer while I'm driving. Being able to glance at the trailer now and then to be sure everything is where it should be is good peace of mind. I'm cheap, so might look into the $90 Costco version.

Back
Top Bottom