Baja Newbie

Espresso

I'm planning about a two week trip to Baja over the Christmas holiday. I have a Dodge Ram 4x4 and a Four Wheel Grandby camper. I've never been south of San Diego and I'm looking for advice from those that have spent time wandering around the Baja peninsula.

I plan to enter from San Diego. How far south (away from the border) should I plan to go the first day?

How much did you pay for insurance?

Do I need to carry extra fuel? Or are there enough gas stations. Do they try to scam you at the stations like they do in the Yucatan?

What about food? Are there places to stock up as I head further south?

I might tow a trailer with a dual-sport motorcycle? Has anyone done this and did you find a trailer limited your travels?

Did you feel you had to be overly cautious with regard to theft and safety? I've had people say, "You're crazy; it's a war zone". Others say is it safer than the US once you are a couple hours drive from the border.

I appreciate any info, recommendations, advice, etc. that you can offer.

Espresso,
We generally shoot for El Rosario (240 miles from border) or beyond on day one but there are plenty of safe places to camp between TJ and San Quintin....Posada don Diego and El Pabellon are two safe options that come to mind. There are plenty of motel options with secure parking as well. It will be getting dark early so the earlier you start the better if you want to make headway, that 240 miles will take you 6-8 hours depending on stops and driving speed.

Insurance. Look at getting an annual policy vice 2 weeks, you may find it cheaper. I've used these folks for years:
http://www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com/
And these folks are highly recommened by others:
http://www.bajabound.com/

Fuel. You are most likely fine without an extra can but that depends on how much off the beaten path traveling you plan on doing. In a pinch, you can find a gasolinera selling gas out of drums in just about any small pueblo.

Food. Won't be an issue, supermercados and local mercados are everwhere.

Trailer. Your call, it will definitely add a little more white knuckle action on the drive but plenty of people do it. It's not for me personally.

Theft. Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep the honest people honest by not allowing any easy opportunities. I've yet to see a "war zone" in Baja but I don't hang around TJ much either.

Go have fun and report back...i might even be prowling around down there myself!

Everything SunMan says +:

Consider crossing at Calexico and follow the Sea of Cortez route, staying at Gonzaga Bay and joining Mexico 1 farther down. This bypasses TJ, and the worst of the Baja towns. The best of Baja starts just south of this junction. The route I recommend is some of the very best scenery in all of Baja whereas the Mexico 1 you are considering is the very least scenic of Baja. Bahia De San Luis Gonzaga is Heaven! Stay a few days. The route 30 years ago was 10 mph challenging dirt road. Now it is sadly some of the best pavement in all of Baja. :(

I'd leave the trailer at home. I'd rather not have the hassle and I don't think you'll miss your bike at all.

If you have a Dodge diesel like mine, you have over 600 miles between fill-ups. Even with a gas engine, there is no way you need to carry extra gas cans. Fuel stops in Baja are plenty. 30 years ago was a completely different story.

Carry staples with you, there are markets in most towns. The food in Baja is insanely good! You'll likely be eating fish tacos the whole time and come home with most of the food you originally packed.

You'll feel completely safe in Baja. Go without worry especially down the Sea of Cortez route. It is easy to get worked up by scare stories people tell you, but once you get there you'll be all smiles. I know women who go down alone and have had no problems.

Check out this video from our last trip in March 2012:

"Check out this video from our last trip in March 2011:"

Gene's getting old and he forgets a lot. We didn't go in 2011 but in March of this year 2012. I think this is the video he wants you to look at;

I love watching this video and reliving that trip. Can't wait to go again!

Great video. The grey whales are definitely on my list. And thanks for recommending Bahia De San Luis Gonzaga. I'm taking my teenage boys and they want to learn to surf, which is part of the reason I planned to first head down the west coast. I'll take a look at the map and decide if I should reverse the trip.

SunMan - Thanks for the insurance links. I think I'll leave the trailer at home for this trip. It's sounding more and more like this adventure is going to happen.

Looking at the video, I have few more newbie questions.

What does it cost to go whale watching? How did you select your guide?

What does the typical campsite cost?

Do I assume almost every transaction is in cash? Do I load up at the border or can I get cash as needed?

Sorry for the lame questions, but this is all new to me.

Looking at the video, I have few more newbie questions.

What does it cost to go whale watching? How did you select your guide?

What does the typical campsite cost?

Do I assume almost every transaction is in cash? Do I load up at the border or can I get cash as needed?

Sorry for the lame questions, but this is all new to me.

I forget the price of the whales, like $25 per person?

There is no such thing as a typical campsite in baja. 30 to 15 years ago everything was free. Now most beaches you might camp along, someone shows up and asks about $5. Developed areas like Conception Bay might be $7 or $10.

Buy your money this side of the border. Shop around. Yes, all transactions I always do in cash.

Cash is the way to go in Baja. Very few places south of Ensenada accept credit cards. US $ are also accepted almost everywhere but then you have to worry about getting screwed on the exchange rate calculations. It's best to deal in Pesos.

I usually get my cash at ATM machines (cajas). Most of the major towns have a bank with an ATM. The rate is the daily international exchange rate plus a small ATM fee and whatever fee your bank charges for international purchases. Most of the machines will have english translations. Don't wait to start looking for an ATM when you're low on cash because it's Baja and not everything works when you need it.

A word of warning - Notify your bank that you will be in Mexico. A couple of years ago my bank shut down my account after the first withdrawal.

x2 on ATMs. Use your dollars as a backup. Keep in mind whale season begins in the spring, there will be no whale watching during the Christmas holiday.

Espresso,

Remember you'll need tourists (FFM) cards if;
1. You are a U.S. or Canadian citizen.
2. The visit is 72 hours or more.
3. You're traveling 20 to 30 kilometers (12.4 to 18.6 miles) into Mexico. Except Tj to Ensenada or AZ to Puerto Penasco.

Very Important!!!! Traveling with Minors
If a minor (person under 18 years old) is traveling with only one parent or another person it is necessary to bring a notarized letter signed by the absent parent(s) stating that the minor is permitted to travel with whomever they are traveling. If the parents are divorced, proof of sole and physical custody must be presented. If one parent is deceased, a death certificate is required.

You get the FFM as soon as you cross into Mexico at the Mexican Immigration Office. You'll need your passport and $22.00 U.S. Have as close to the correct amount in pesos as possible. They're not crazy about making change and will probably send you to bank to get the right amount further delaying your trip. You'll need your passport to get back into the U.S. as well. A drivers license is not considered proof of citizenship. Leave yourself enough time. Sometimes you can get it quickly and sometimes not. It took 6 of us about 90 minutes in Mexicali last spring. And remember they close between 12 and 1 (or so) for lunch.

Make sure that the Mexican officials stamp your card. Keep it in a safe (not on you) place. Write the number of the card down and keep it separate from the card. If you lose your card having your number speeds things up when you go to a local immigration office to get a new one.

Thanks for all the good information. I didn't think about the possibility of the bank's fraud detection systems putting a hold on my ATM card. I also didn't know about the FFM card. I'll do my homework and make sure I know where to find the Mexican Immigration Office before I cross the border. I hope this is worth it. It's much easier to fly into Cancun.

Hi, looking for directions to the immigration office in Mexicali. Is there good parking? We will be rolling through there in April and I know how hectic it can be trying to read signs in Spanish in a big city. And confirming if you have exact change for the FMM you dont have to go to the bank?

Thanks

Espresso,

Remember you'll need tourists (FFM) cards if;
1. You are a U.S. or Canadian citizen.
2. The visit is 72 hours or more.
3. You're traveling 20 to 30 kilometers (12.4 to 18.6 miles) into Mexico. Except Tj to Ensenada or AZ to Puerto Penasco.

Very Important!!!! Traveling with Minors
If a minor (person under 18 years old) is traveling with only one parent or another person it is necessary to bring a notarized letter signed by the absent parent(s) stating that the minor is permitted to travel with whomever they are traveling. If the parents are divorced, proof of sole and physical custody must be presented. If one parent is deceased, a death certificate is required.

You get the FFM as soon as you cross into Mexico at the Mexican Immigration Office. You'll need your passport and $22.00 U.S. Have as close to the correct amount in pesos as possible. They're not crazy about making change and will probably send you to bank to get the right amount further delaying your trip. You'll need your passport to get back into the U.S. as well. A drivers license is not considered proof of citizenship. Leave yourself enough time. Sometimes you can get it quickly and sometimes not. It took 6 of us about 90 minutes in Mexicali last spring. And remember they close between 12 and 1 (or so) for lunch.

Make sure that the Mexican officials stamp your card. Keep it in a safe (not on you) place. Write the number of the card down and keep it separate from the card. If you lose your card having your number speeds things up when you go to a local immigration office to get a new one.

Hi, looking for directions to the immigration office in Mexicali. Is there good parking? We will be rolling through there in April and I know how hectic it can be trying to read signs in Spanish in a big city. And confirming if you have exact change for the FMM you dont have to go to the bank?

Thanks

Our group is crossing at Mexicali the morning of March 29th. Join us.

The immigration office is just on your left, immediately after crossing the border. You may not make payment at the office. You must pay at a bank, of which there is one very close, and then go back to immigration providing the paper showing payment. It has nothing to do with exact change.
Last time we were there it was difficult to find parking but we were able to park in front of what I think was a hotel and tipped the guy there a few dollars.

Mexicali is a bit of a hectic city but you just follow the main drag south, as Mexicali fades away you relax.

We ate at an amazing place at the north end of San Felipe, a few miles before the town center. Maybe Jay remembers the name.

Also, watch this thread for more info: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6900/

Parking is at a premium at the Mexicali Immigration office. Last year we parked away from the office and paid to have our vehicles watched. We walked 2 or 3 blocks to the office and then to the bank to complete the process.

Thanks for the invite and directions...my schedule is such that we'll be passing through a few days after your group but we'll keep our eye open for a couple of FWC's. Are you guys going to visit the whales? Curious if April is a little late or is it worth it?
Thanks

Our group is crossing at Mexicali the morning of March 29th. Join us.

The immigration office is just on your left, immediately after crossing the border. You may not make payment at the office. You must pay at a bank, of which there is one very close, and then go back to immigration providing the paper showing payment. It has nothing to do with exact change.
Last time we were there it was difficult to find parking but we were able to park in front of what I think was a hotel and tipped the guy there a few dollars.

Mexicali is a bit of a hectic city but you just follow the main drag south, as Mexicali fades away you relax.

We ate at an amazing place at the north end of San Felipe, a few miles before the town center. Maybe Jay remembers the name.

Also, watch this thread for more info: http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/6900/

@bsharp: The whales are still there until mid April. The density is low but the babies more gregarious.

@ramblinman: Anytime but summer is best. Summer is nice along the Pacific. I like the fall because the waters in the Sea of Cortez are still very warm. Spring is great for whales and wild flowers.

Sounds like we should put this in the itinerary, if we know what days you guys might be doing that we could catch up with you??

Will

@bsharp: The whales are still there until mid April. The density is low but the babies more gregarious.

@ramblinman: Anytime but summer is best. Summer is nice along the Pacific. I like the fall because the waters in the Sea of Cortez are still very warm. Spring is great for whales and wild flowers.

Back
Top Bottom