Baja & The Whales In The Spring

Greetings, We are a small group of freinds- all women; who have truck campers or vans or class b campers. We would also love to make this trip tp Baja to see the whales. Fear of crime has kept me from mexico; even though I've wintered in Apache Junction AZ for the last 6 years. How would you feel if we shadowed you on your Baja trip?
Thanks, lisa
dodge ram 2003 4X4 diesel . with a starlight popup truck camper

Hello Lisa,
By your post I don't quite understand. Are you coming in one Dodge or is there a van and a class B in addition?

I have 3 female friends who travel Baja regularly. In one case, two of them go as a pair, the third friend usually goes by herself. I think you have nothing to worry about in Baja. I would guess the greatest danger during a Baja trip would be a car accident, of which you could have in the USA just as easily.

You're welcome to travel along but please be sure your tires etc. are in good shape.

Diesel is $3 per gallon or less, thanks to the fact that is is socialized fuel rather than money grubbing USA oil companies.

Anyone who is joining us, please get your Visas in advance, as Jay explains through Discover Baja.

Where as most of this trip would have been nasty dirt road only a few years back, very sadly most of what was dirt is now paved.http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Lisa,
I just wanted to follow up on Gene's post and say that all of the people in our group are going in at the Mexicali South point of entry. Not at the main point of entry in downtown Mexicali. Because of that we all got our visas in the mail through http://www.discoverbaja.com. That way we just stop to get our FMM signed and save about 2 hours.

About a week before March 29th I'll post info here on where we all plan to meet before heading across the border. I'm guessing based on your info you intedend to go in with us in Mexicali. There are others that will be entering at Tijuana. Getting your FMM is easier at TJ but it's a hassel at Mexicali hence our getting it in the mail. Also just FYI you will need Mexican insurance and pesos. I buy my insurance through Discover Baja and get my pesos through the BofA here in Tucson.

Jay,

I think I will be joining you for part of this adventure but will probably meet up with you in Gonzaga. Not sure if we will be crossing at TJ or Mexicali. If we cross at Mexicali we will probably go down a day early and walk across the border to get our permits and pesos.

My question is how long do you plan on staying at Gonzaga and will you be camping at Playa Rancho Grande? After San Ignacio we will be going down to Playa Coyote for a couple of weeks.

Dick

Hey Dick,

We will be in Gonzaga from the Friday 29th until the 31st. Then we head over to the lagoon. We plan to leave San Ignacio right after we get back in from the whales on the 1rst and head over to Concepcion. We'll be in Santispac for several days for kyaking and snokeling. Head back to Gonzaga and then home.

Jay,

I think I will be joining you for part of this adventure but will probably meet up with you in Gonzaga. Not sure if we will be crossing at TJ or Mexicali. If we cross at Mexicali we will probably go down a day early and walk across the border to get our permits and pesos.

My question is how long do you plan on staying at Gonzaga and will you be camping at Playa Rancho Grande? After San Ignacio we will be going down to Playa Coyote for a couple of weeks.

Dick

Dick,
Sounds like we might just miss you but we will keep an eye out for you and the rest of the crew...we will arrive at Lagoon on the afternoon of the 30th, hoping WX cooperates for a boat trip on the 31st...we will likely vanish into the estero for some kayak exploration and halibut fishin shortly after that. Bahia Concepcion is a remote possiblity, will check you out in Coyote if we make it that way...as always, all bets are off if there is surf!

Hola Amigos,

Here's the skinny for those of you crossing at the Mexicali East Port of Entry with me on March 29th. We'll meet before we cross at 9 AM at the Gastrak at 435 S. Menvielle Road in Calexico. If you are on I-8, take exit 125(California 7 - Orchard Rd.) and head south 11.7 miles. After we cross the border we'll stop to get our FMM's validated and head down Mexico Hwy 5 for lunch at El Colorado. We'll probably stop in San Felipe for beer and tequila and then on to Gonzaga.

Got pesos and insurance. Years ago I was told that if you are not a Mexican citizen and you are traveling beyond the "border zone" you are required to carry title or registration verifying ownership of the vehicle. A bill of sale is not valid proof. I make a copy of my vehicle Certificate Of Title and watermark it with "Authorized Copy Do Not Reproduce." I have never been asked to produce it but better safe than sorry.

Got pesos and insurance. Years ago I was told that if you are not a Mexican citizen and you are traveling beyond the "border zone" you are required to carry title or registration verifying ownership of the vehicle. A bill of sale is not valid proof. I make a copy of my vehicle Certificate Of Title and watermark it with "Authorized Copy Do Not Reproduce." I have never been asked to produce it but better safe than sorry.

Jay,

I believe that registration paperwork rule applies on the mainland - not in Baja.

7 more days to go and then we head south, yeah!

I have some of young Nick Haverland's ashes. I'll spread them at Santispac, San Ignacio wetland, and with the grey whales. All favorite places of his when he traveled to with us.

Jay, Anne doesn't want to miss Easter with the 3 new grand kids so she's flying in on Monday morning to Loreto. So while you guys do the whales, I'll buzz down and pick up Anne, we'll meet you at Santispac when you are done whaling. Anne and I can catch the whales on the way north.

Dick,
What day do you arrive at Playa Coyote?

Gene

7 more days to go and then we head south, yeah!

I have some of young Nick Haverland's ashes. I'll spread them at Santispac, San Ignacio wetland, and with the grey whales. All favorite places of his when he traveled to with us.

Jay, Anne doesn't want to miss Easter with the 3 new grand kids so she's flying in on Monday morning to Loreto. So while you guys do the whales, I'll buzz down and pick up Anne, we'll meet you at Santispac when you are done whaling. Anne and I can catch the whales on the way north.

Dick,
What day do you arrive at Playa Coyote?

Gene

Gene,

The plan right now is to go down with you guys. We're going to Calexico thursday and walking across the border for permits and pesos then spending the night in El Centro and meeting up with you at the Mexicali east crossing. If we get delayed we'll meet up in Gonzaga.

Dick

5 days and a wake up!!!! Got our taxes done today and all our bills are pre paid. Bring on the tequila!!!!!

I just can't wait for lunch at that place just north of San Felipe. And then the fish tacos in Mulege.

Attachments

• IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom