Baja trip coming up!

kmcintyre

Not sure if we'll be able to post an "in trip report" or not but we're about to depart on a long trip through Baja. We're going down the San Felipe, Gonzaga, BOC, Mulege, Guerrero Negro (and whales), wine country, etc. route. Then up CA coast to SAC and a visit to ATC.

Wish us luck! We're going in a diesel RAM and hope that the gas protests don't slow us down too much.

Travel Safe and enjoy !

The RV park I mentioned in GN has WIFI if you can make an email out to us.

We hope to see you maybe on your rebound north.

Please do advise on the diesel/gas situation as you head south.

DavidGraves

older red Toyota T100 with a hawk.

Advmoto18 said:
Latest report, no ULSD south of Guerrero Negro.

Have fun!
That's pretty normal but we're going to take extra fuel with us; at least we can add some ULSD to mix it.

I'll try to keep notes/etc. as we go and let you know about diesel. I doubt I'll know if it's ULSD or not though.

We ran most of that route about a month ago. The Mex 5 just before it links up with Mex 1 (near Coco's Corner) is was gnarly. First time I've ever aired down for a "highway"..

We took the road out to San Borja mission between Bay of LA and Rosarito, camping for one night out there in the desert. That was one of my favorite drives and one of my favorite camps of our time in Baja.

Enjoy, Baja is magic!

pawleyk said:
We ran most of that route about a month ago. The Mex 5 just before it links up with Mex 1 (near Coco's Corner) is was gnarly. First time I've ever aired down for a "highway"..

We took the road out to San Borja mission between Bay of LA and Rosarito, camping for one night out there in the desert. That was one of my favorite drives and one of my favorite camps of our time in Baja.

Enjoy, Baja is magic!
Sounds awesome! I'll check out the mission and see if we can fit it in. We were/are going to hit Coco's and will def. take it slow!

Thanks.

Lighthawk said:
Have a great trip!
Appreciate the route and miss my old Baja days!
I used to go down about once a month surfing, etc. when I lived in San Diego. It's been > 25 years for me now and my girlfriend has never been down so it'll be pretty new to both of us. Many places that were not accessible then, are now by road and many places now, you also need reservations! I guess they call that progress (but that's why I left SD).

kmcintyre said:
I used to go down about once a month surfing, etc. when I lived in San Diego. It's been > 25 years for me now and my girlfriend has never been down so it'll be pretty new to both of us. Many places that were not accessible then, are now by road and many places now, you also need reservations! I guess they call that progress (but that's why I left SD).
The best places still don't need reservations.. :)

pawleyk said:
The best places still don't need reservations.. :)
That is probably true and I hope to find some new locations/camping spots thanks to various people on this forum and the bajanomad forum.

Kevin

I forgot to mention El Marmol or Catavina.

Both are close by to Hyway 1and provide good camping .

Catavina is on most all maps....a very small village. The camping would be any side sand road in the mile or so north of the village.

There are spectacular Boojum trees here along with some pretty remarkable bolder formations...wind sculpted.

El Marmol is a old Onyx mine also well marked on most maps....south of El Rosario.

It is an easy flat drive into the mine site.....and there is lots of onyx to see along with an active cold geyser a mile or so past the mine that is actually onyx in the formation.

Look em up and enjoy.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
Kevin

I forgot to mention El Marmol or Catavina.

Both are close by to Hyway 1and provide good camping .

Catavina is on most all maps....a very small village. The camping would be any side sand road in the mile or so north of the village.

There are spectacular Boojum trees here along with some pretty remarkable bolder formations...wind sculpted.

El Marmol is a old Onyx mine also well marked on most maps....south of El Rosario.

It is an easy flat drive into the mine site.....and there is lots of onyx to see along with an active cold geyser a mile or so past the mine that is actually onyx in the formation.

Look em up and enjoy.

DavidGraves
Thanks again David!

kmcintyre said:
That is probably true and I hope to find some new locations/camping spots thanks to various people on this forum and the bajanomad forum.
We use iOverlander to help locate good spots to camp. The app (for iPhone and Android) is free and works offline. We try and find our own too, but it is nice to have the security of a confirmed place to sleep after a long day on the road.

http://ioverlander.com/

pawleyk said:
We use iOverlander to help locate good spots to camp. The app (for iPhone and Android) is free and works offline. We try and find our own too, but it is nice to have the security of a confirmed place to sleep after a long day on the road.

That looks great and I'll download it!
Thanks.

pawleyk said:

Thank you! We're also heading to Baja in a couple of weeks and you've just given us another great resource for the trip.

Back
Top Bottom