Baja Trip report (partial); update on crossing into Baja and fuel (diesel, etc.)

kmcintyre

We crossed at Mexicali East. No issues. The FMM stamp is easy and the man there would take cash (we paid online).

No protests, no issues. Lots of gas and diesel everywhere. Fueled up in Mexicali (extra cans) and San Felipe; no issues with the 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel.

Went down to Percebu and then to Beluga over to Coco's and now in Guerrero Negro to have a hot shower, resupply, etc. Jesus Maria has diesel (ULSD).

We'll head towards Bahia Concepción and may stop and camp along the way.

Awesome weather but we heard that a week or so ago, it wasn't very nice. 65 (I think) in GN and it was 75 on the Gulf.

Limited to no internet, wifi, etc. to this point. Cell (Verizon) hasn't worked and I haven't tried enabling it in GN yet.

Kevin

I forgot to mention, no crowds at all. Prices seem to be down a bit at the campgrounds because of the lack of people. Some campground (Rancho Percebu) was pretty much closed during the week.

And we've seen a ton of FWC! I also saw this but don't think it was a FWC.

Attachments

• 20170201_145713.jpg
    20170201_145713.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 245
kmcintyre said:
We crossed at Mexicali East. No issues. The FMM stamp is easy and the man there would take cash (we paid online).

No protests, no issues. Lots of gas and diesel everywhere. Fueled up in Mexicali (extra cans) and San Felipe; no issues with the 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel.

Went down to Percebu and then to Beluga over to Coco's and now in Guerrero Negro to have a hot shower, resupply, etc. Jesus Maria has diesel (ULSD).

We'll head towards Bahia Concepción and may stop and camp along the way.

Awesome weather but we heard that a week or so ago, it wasn't very nice. 65 (I think) in GN and it was 75 on the Gulf.

Limited to no internet, wifi, etc. to this point. Cell (Verizon) hasn't worked and I haven't tried enabling it in GN yet.

Kevin

Is there low sulfur diesel in the Baja now, wasn't last time I was there ?

anomad said:
Is there low sulfur diesel in the Baja now, wasn't last time I was there ?
Baja has had LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel, 500 PPM max) for decades.

USA diesel vehicles manufactured during (and after) 2007 require ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, 15 PPM max). USA and Europe mandated the use of ULSD in 2006.

Ok, I've been "offline" for a few weeks. Here's a short update as we are in a hotel in the wine area between Tecate and Ensenada. We heard yesterday that they were expecting 2" of rain and the wind was howling so we found a hotel. Lucky we did. It wouldn't have been fun.

Onto the good stuff!

Our itin was this (once we crossed at Mexicali East). Down to Percebu, Gonzaga, Guerrero Negro, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Ignacio, back to GN (Scammons Lagoon aka Oja de Libere), Bahia de Los Angeles, San Quintin, Wine region, exit. We stopped in many other places but the were the camping areas. We would love to go back and explore Rosilia and Mulege more.

Trip was awesome. Concepcion and the whales were our favorite but there was so much more! I have extensive notes on camping, prices, etc.

No issues with getting ULSD diesel in the 2015 Ram. We carried 10 extra gallons and used it (primarily to get the weight off the back of the truck) and could have made the trip just filling up along the way. We did not get any diesel south of GN.

No issues, no hassles, nothing but good times (except in the US where we got stuck in Death Valley and had to be towed; we were out in the boonies too - that bill hurts!). We'll cross at Tecate later today. We met a lot of FWC owners. No ATC's though. We will head to ATC in about a week for jack installs and need to talk to them about getting more ATC's on the road and down here!

Any questions let me know. I'll be in more regular contact again but spotty probably for another 7 - 10 days as we make our way back to Idaho.

kmcintyre said:
Ok, I've been "offline" for a few weeks. Here's a short update as we are in a hotel in the wine area between Tecate and Ensenada. We heard yesterday that they were expecting 2" of rain and the wind was howling so we found a hotel. Lucky we did. It wouldn't have been fun.

Onto the good stuff!

Our itin was this (once we crossed at Mexicali East). Down to Percebu, Gonzaga, Guerrero Negro, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Ignacio, back to GN (Scammons Lagoon aka Oja de Libere), Bahia de Los Angeles, San Quintin, Wine region, exit. We stopped in many other places but the were the camping areas. We would love to go back and explore Rosilia and Mulege more.

Trip was awesome. Concepcion and the whales were our favorite but there was so much more! I have extensive notes on camping, prices, etc.

No issues with getting ULSD diesel in the 2015 Ram. We carried 10 extra gallons and used it (primarily to get the weight off the back of the truck) and could have made the trip just filling up along the way. We did not get any diesel south of GN.

No issues, no hassles, nothing but good times (except in the US where we got stuck in Death Valley and had to be towed; we were out in the boonies too - that bill hurts!). We'll cross at Tecate later today. We met a lot of FWC owners. No ATC's though. We will head to ATC in about a week for jack installs and need to talk to them about getting more ATC's on the road and down here!

Any questions let me know. I'll be in more regular contact again but spotty probably for another 7 - 10 days as we make our way back to Idaho.
I'm inspired by your report - what map and/or guide do you recommend I pick up so that I can see all of the places you are mentioning and start planning my own trip ?!

Great news/brief report Kevin!
Your report is pretty much what I found last year.
We'll be following a route similar to yours in early April...for the umteenth time. Never gets old!

Please publish your detail notes when able. It never amazes me about the golden Baja nuggets folks find one has never heard about!

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
Great news/brief report Kevin!
Your report is pretty much what I found last year.
We'll be following a route similar to yours in early April...for the umteenth time. Never gets old!

Please publish your detail notes when able. It never amazes me about the golden Baja nuggets folks find one has never heard about!

Bill
I have a ton of notes that may or may not makes sense to anyone else but I can do it when I get home in about a week if you want to see them....

Kevin

Kevin...

I suggest just posting the highlights that moved you here.

If you have more off the wall finds and interested in sharing, a PM would be much appreciated.

Thx!

Bill

Yikes ..if you want to share your notes that would be great...your trip is on our list (except the part about towing!)...
If you every scan them to pdf's ....PM me!... I can't imagine all that sun....I was out boiling maple sap to syrup knee deep in snow all day. What a wonderful world.

Ok, here's my notes. Excuse the typos, etc. as I was trying to do this on my phone.

----

In borrego. 2 Campsites up mine wash. One just past ruins, one towards end. Both nice. Road is easy. Saw Mustang driving up road to ruins. Well packed road.

In death valley. South end. Saratoga Springs, dunes and talc Mines
From north near tower one big gully. Further south, on Harry wade Rd. You cross Creek (if any water) once. Got stuck but after a bigger rain a few days earlier. Harry wade Rd from north through park had 3 crossings and lots of stuck vehicles.
Mine wash is great. State park very good. Site 109 against mtn gets early shade at night. Middle sites in that loop might have more sun. Rams up alt. Trail towards palm Canyon. Nice hot showers for $1 2 min.
Calexico east. Easy entry. Fmm guy takes your cash too. Costco had Banamar do it doesn't give money atm across the parking lot there are multiple bank atms in the store. Grocery, tequila. Etc. In mega dept store. Tequila was 210p, 154p beer 12 pack modela negra
Roads good until just outside dam Felipe for bit then good again to percebu . Rancho is kind of run down. Closed during week so only 200 pesos but no food. Shutdown at 5pm, no bar. Showers are bad/dirty. Cold showers. Only one other camper Lots of old bbqs and trash around. Nice people though. Nice location. Lots of pemex stations with diesel in sf. 200 pesos to camp not 300 because of closure? Price was normally $25 which is 500 pesos, so it was a better deal with peso @ 300. No fuel shortages or demonstrations. About 1 mile north, you can get clams on the beach.
Saw 4 shrimp boats out. 1 guy on road coming in selling shrimp.
Road from sf to Puertocitos is rough but good. Pc to gonzaga is great. Beluga was $15/day, 3rd day free. No peso discount. No one here. Diesel at pemex.
Alphonsias had good shrimp and fish tacos $8 for 3. Bought 1 kg scallops for 300p and grouper for 100. Store at rancho grande has good liquor selection. Scallops were so-so and frozen ; could be that we over cooked them.
Guerrero super market is OK. Near water tower one street north. Stayed at terrasol was newer but things broke already like faucet handles. Clean and good for about $35 with dog. Had to have Doherty room with pet. Free laundry. Rooms facing east were cold. Wifi was intermittent.
Drive to conception was good. Lots of gas. Scenic. Playa Escondido is awesome. Lots of regulates who come down for months. Taco Tue, music lessons, dinners, etc. Locals come to area every day. Blankets, tamales, fish, shrimp, water, etc. Phosphorescent water. Lite up Virginia Mary in hill by candles. Stop at Santa Rosilia for carnitas and cicherones.
Wanderthewest next door neighbor camperrich had all the toys (tim, penny, carmin the cat). Lot of people come down for months. Road at 111km into site is rough but not bad. Eurovan made it in. Large rv too. Some palapas are decorated with sheiks, showers, hammocks, etc. Nice wind breaks. Vendors come by. Shrimp 300p kg, scallops, banana bread, tamales 100p, halibut 220 for kg. You can get water filed for 100p in 55gal drum for washing, etc. Manuel is the caretaker. Adding a few palapas of the beach. Tony and P???? With 2 dogsl roti and rupee. Had paddle boats (red brand) let had use them. Saw dolphins (20). Manuel was working on road into campground to make it smoother. Pasadaconcepcion sensitive for rentals on other side. Great little community. Yearly price is 5000usd for power, sewer, water, etc. Homes about 20k. Lease goes up 5% yearly. Bakery, restaurant. Friendly community with events, etc. Tennis court too.

Warren and x-wife are in blue ford van. Vonnie is in white Toyota with attached valour and cat named Harry who got lost for a week once. Bill is white haired man. Kevin has red truck and not social but knows all the history of the place as he's been coming for 30 years.
Met Sydney and Becky
And
Lee and Pam from Oregon. They camper next-door to us. Sydney has traveled a lot and took our spot and let us use their Aires blow up kayak.

Paulina and Tony the photographer from Canada.
Pam and Lee next door later. Sydney and Becky were travelers
Bill is like the campground host. Kevin comes every year. Warren is a regular
Rosalia is nice town. Old trains everywhere. Bought shrimp for 125p / pound. Mulege has river through town.
Fish tacos next to alba grocery store in mulege. Cheapest liquor is at grocery store up main road towards end. Best beer prices are in store up north end of town. Lots of one way streets.

Hike to petroglyph. Cross Road. Down to left through dump. Past old airstrip. Continue down wash to gate. Go through gate and stay slightly left down the wash. Follow wash about 1.5 miles. Old homestead on left. Keep going work tyke cliffs on your left up the wash until you get to 2 large rocks with Carnes. Perpendicular to the rocks, straight ahead is one cliff art. Parallel is another but up a cliff.
In celito lindo margaritas and cracked crab near El pavion
And oysters at celito lindo. (When we went they didn’t have oysters so I must have the wrong place)
Pavion is nice beach.
Places to go. South of todos Santos (which isn't good) is ? And campo Rene near oyster Farm has nice long white beach. Near Punta abreojos.
Rays place in mulege has grass camping and you pick your own fruit for drinks. Soledad hotel is about 50usd and has excellent Rooms and takes dogs. Large and clean rooms with hot showers pool, etc
Salida lindo near Los pinos.
Parts are narrow roads with potholes. Lots of people from Vancouver bc.
Had to pay outside of Guerrero for smoke spray for fruit fly. $1 and they turned on this fogger you drive over.

Every once in your life maybe twice or a dozen times to have a day like we had today. We spoke with the next door camper name is Kevin who had been coming down to Baja for many years and told us about the history of this camping spot. He told us about finding arrow heads on the beach he told us about mini generations of owners, that on current owners and their families and how this speech used to have 35 palapas and now only has 6. How the tides and hurricanes have affected this speech. He was a wealth of knowledge and we encourage him to write a history of this beach. On a full moon night with people we have met in here playing their ukulele for us while we sleep. Sleep. Sleep. This person, Kevin, was a very shy individual but once we started to prove on questions with him about the beach he opened up and told us about many Petroglifts and rock art in the area, and even in this small area he told us about local arrow heads and other incidents that happened over the years here. We have a full moon people playing croquet and found clams in the ocean. Kevin told us about in the old days when people would play volleyball on this speech and that the tide eventually came up very high during a hurricane a hand now is very low on the tide the tide. He told us about the original palapas with used to be much lower on the beach which were raised over the years because of the water levels. He knew about the years the dates the people the owners and the colonel know who now is a distant or current relative of people who own hikes or people down in Playa coyote. Apparently there are Patchogue lives down near playa coyote in the saddle that are visible if you know where to look. He knows he appreciates many new people coming into this area who can then bring life and figure into this little area. There is a cave on the north end this beach below the picture of the virgin mary that apparently contains a lot of old artifacts.
Collected clams in the break today.
To do
Drive to San Ignacio. Nice old church and town square but nit much else. Nice hotel near Mercado. Date shakes. Cool rider/lagoon with palm trees. Must have been a fire at some point in time. I would probably skip this next time. Camped at patatay which is pretty nice and right on water. 150p/night.
Manuel is caretaker. Town flooded in sept 2016 and camp was under 6’ of water. Manuel bright us wood and firepit. Crazy bullfrogs all night and birds in lagoon. Bathrooms are OK, have to add water to flush. No showers but there are stalls. Manuel will heat water for you for a shower and start a fire.

Drive to the lagoon yielded wild flowers of yellow, purple and orange. Came out since our drive down.
Drive to lagoon. Turn at ? Km. Signs on road. Pavement for about 1 mile then various gravel, hard pack, etc. Rest of the way. Some very good and all pretty good. Cars, rvs, etc is am ready road. About 15 very nice palapas. Windy. The whales ate spoofing and jumping and you can see them from shore with Biononulars. Amazing. Some come completely out of the water. 45usd or 800p for the boat. 9 people max. Drive through salt flats to guard station. He takes your license plates number, etc. No cost. At lagoon, price is 5usd, 80p for entry and that gets you a free drink ( coffee, beer, tea). Tours are awesome. Last 2-3 hr. Sites 1-13 are palapas. Then more sites without and a tent camp. You need a palapa but we're told the last camp spot 16 is great. With the wind though you'd be exposed and colder. The other thing that we didn’t know is behind the restaurant there are hot showers for us.

Headed to Jesus Maria's for fuel then to bola. Scenic drive to Bay of LA with flowers blooming along the way. Camp at Dad gets for either $8 per person per night or 150 pesos per person. Headed and saw humpback whale. Bought a giant halibut I’m a local fisherman at the marina and a local man help us for a it for dinner. We met some other four wheel camper people at the campground at Dad gets. They have Wi-Fi and hot showers. Just north of daggets there appears to be a an abandoned campground with palapas that you could probably camp for free. There are no bathrooms that are open even though there is a building. There are apparently bottle those golf in the whales hearts and grey I’m back Wales in the bay.

From San Quentin down the road is full of potholes. Some smaller vw’s were in there. Weave around them is like wackamo. No ender there is so many tire shops.

Los Olivos campground is awesome. Grass, vb courts work net, clean, etc. Let us pour up camper in tent area. 4.50 for site, 2.25 per person. Best sitter in baja although not at beach. Near Olivos restaurant. No other campers and tons of tent sites. 50? Some rv spots but not many. Some rosters and chickens. Central fire pit.
El jarden hotel 30usd for 2 people and dog. Very very nice with fruit trees, manicured garden, etc
Wine region was awesome. Great wine. $8 - $10. Deckman's for dinner was great. giant 800gm ribeye for 2 was the best ever.
Tecate crossing was hard to find (we didn't follow the signs at first as it looked like they were sending us to Mexicali) but only 10mins wait.

This is so helpful! Thank you! I am headed down there on Apr 1st.

Planning basically the same route: Mexicali - San Felipe - Beluga - Guerrero Negro - San Ignacio - Concepcion. Might hit Los Angeles on the way back up north.

I do have one question... toilets. Do we need to carry a Luggable Loo/Porta Potti, or are there facilities at these campgrounds etc?

Thanks!
Riley

rilcombs said:
This is so helpful! Thank you! I am headed down there on Apr 1st.

Planning basically the same route: Mexicali - San Felipe - Beluga - Guerrero Negro - San Ignacio - Concepcion. Might hit Los Angeles on the way back up north.

I do have one question... toilets. Do we need to carry a Luggable Loo/Porta Potti, or are there facilities at these campgrounds etc?

Thanks!
Riley
I think you are fine. There are outhouses and toilets at every place we stayed. I would take some toilet paper (or buy some down there) as that's more of an issue.

You are doing almost the exact same route. In Bola I heard that there's a great camping spot north of Daggots near Punta Gringa that was the old turtle research area. I am not sure if it has palapas or not but supposed to be good. Daggots was nice, hot showers, etc.

I did notice my notes have some interesting dictation errors. One is supposed to be Daggots ad came out something like Dog Rats????

Back
Top Bottom