Bantam trailer

takesiteasy

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided this was a truck accessory of sorts so here it is. If the moderators want to put it somewhere else, fine by me.

I acquired this trailer off of Craigslist last summer. It has been a project off and on since then. i finally pretty much finished it and wrote up a blog post about it. If you are interested in old trailers, or want more details, there are photos and details in the blog.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2019/05/bantam-trailer.html

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished project:

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

Very nice takeiteasy

Definitely a labor of love in there. You reminded me I had forgotten that there were even some cars with left hand thread on one side of the wheels at one time. I think it was a Chrysler thing.

Russ

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Wow!!! What a wonderful transformation. As we say here in Oregon, you dun good. I want one :)
Happyjax said:
That was quite an impressive make over!
CougarCouple said:
Very nice takeiteasy

Definitely a labor of love in there. You reminded me I had forgotten that there were even some cars with left hand thread on one side of the wheels at one time. I think it was a Chrysler thing.

Russ
Thanks Sage, Happyjax and CougarCouple for the nice comments. Yeah, I guess left hand threads were around on some cars until the early 70s. I'm sure I remember having one or two- just can't remember which ones, haha.

firemen7 said:
Very nice. Looks great, are you rally going to haul mulch, rocks or dirt in it?
Thanks for the comment Firemen7. I have to admit to some trepidation to dumping in that first load of mulch- hasn't happened yet. I had the same feeling with loading my truck the first time. But it is a working trailer- it has earn its keep. And it needs to get some of that old patina back! :) But dirt and rocks- maybe not, haha.

Invest in a well-fitting sheet of plywood you can leave in to protect the floor from shovel-scraping your paint job if you haul dirt or rocks. If you can find some of the stuff they use in the kitchens at restaurants as a non-skid that lets spills through, that would be another option for loading boxes or "stuff" that might otherwise slide back and forth as you start off or have to hit the binders very hard that might dent the front/rear panels.

PackRat said:
Invest in a well-fitting sheet of plywood you can leave in to protect the floor from shovel-scraping your paint job if you haul dirt or rocks. If you can find some of the stuff they use in the kitchens at restaurants as a non-skid that lets spills through, that would be another option for loading boxes or "stuff" that might otherwise slide back and forth as you start off or have to hit the binders very hard that might dent the front/rear panels.
Yes, or stall mat.

PackRat said:

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Yes, or stall mat.
Yes, I have a piece of plywood finished with porch and deck stain in the trailer to protect the floor. I have been considering a rubber mat. I looked at stall mats but they are really heavy- like 100 pounds! There are lighter alternatives but I haven't popped for one yet. I also installed D rings for tie downs to prevent things shifting around during transport.

Thanks for the comments.

Here's a trailer update. For those that read our Denver trip report, you will know that the trailer lost it's connection to our truck at a rough railroad crossing. No real harm done other than scrubbing some metal off the landing leg casting.

As a result of that mishap, I made a new trailer coupling. It was a fun project.

For those that might be interested, I wrote it up in the blog:

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2019/07/trailer-update.html

edited to add a photo:

coupler%2Bedited.jpg

I had the same problem with the trailer coming off the hitch in high articulation situations. Solved the problem by going to a pintle hitch setup. It's a little noisier but bulletproof.

camelracer said:
I had the same problem with the trailer coming off the hitch in high articulation situations. Solved the problem by going to a pintle hitch setup. It's a little noisier but bulletproof.
I have considered both a pintle or a multi-axis coupler. Unfortunately they are expensive. I am going to try this for a while. With this new setup I can easily swap in the future if needed.

Thanks for your comment.

Back
Top Bottom