Batteries: Parallel vs Stand alone w/ transfer switch

Krist003

Hello all,

I have (1) 100AH LiTime battery in my FWC Hawk. The battery is a year old, but has only been discharged a half dozen times. Would buying another new identical battery to install in parallel give me any problems? Would there be balancing issues due to the age difference?

On another note, I thought about putting in a transfer switch to swap between each 100AH battery independently. Once one battery gets too low, I would just transfer to the other. My thinking is that it would eliminate the balancing issues between the two and maybe even give me some more security should something go wrong with just one of the batteries.

I only use the camper about 6 times a year and 100AH is usually sufficient, but sometimes I need more for a longer trip. I don’t have solar or alternator charging and am not interested in adding either.

Thanks!

According to Li Time you should only wire 2 identical batteries in parallel if they are purchased within 1 month.

IMG_7872.jpeg

My experience with wiring 2 Li Time 100ah Bluetooth batteries in parallel is that one battery will discharge, and the other will stay in standby as shown on the Li Time app. I have no experience with their non-bluetooth batteries though.

Last edited:
Limiting to one month apart in age is very conservative. Maybe in addition to cell age concerns they have BMS software version compatibility concerns given the odd BMS behavior we’ve read about in other threads?

Probably another concern with a manufacturer like this is that using batteries from different production batches may mean the batteries have significantly different battery cells installed. This could cause some of the same problems that are talked about for connecting batteries of significantly different age or different types.

Last edited:
Thank you. That does seems very conservative to me as well.
I am really starting to like the idea of having two batteries isolated by a transfer switch anyway. I can’t really think of any downsides other than having to manually use the switch when one battery gets too low. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You should be careful about connecting two batteries in parallel when one has a significantly higher level of charge. You should understand and build for the possible current between the batteries to avoid damage to your wiring or batteries, Make sure you select your transfer switch carefully and select one that doesn’t connect the batteries as you switch from battery A to B unless you intend it to do that.

Last edited:
Sound advice. I think a transfer switch that is off in the middle position would be best for this scenario.

Back
Top Bottom