Battery Monitors: Victron or Smartgauge?

crashmaster

Advanced Member
Hello, newbie here with a stupid question. :D

I have been following the "dislike my camper solar" thread for a while as well and I am trying to educate myself on battery monitors. I have been reading about the Balmar Smartgauge. It has no bluetooth, only displays SOC and voltage, and is about a 100 bucks more than the Victron BMV-712. However, after reading some more, it appears from the articles I read that battery monitors like the Victron require a lot of work to give an accurate SOC, but the Balmar will give an accurate SOC almost plug and play. As a result I was more confused then before I started trying to educate myself.

These are the 2 articles I read:

https://marinehowto.com/programming-a-battery-monitor/

https://marinehowto.com/smart-gauge-battery-monitoring-unit/

After reading the articles I felt that accurately programing a battery monitor was so complex that there is no way I would get it correct and would be better for me just to use a voltmeter! :unsure:

Any wisdom you folks have about the Smartgauge vs. Victron BMV-712?

Thanks!

crashmaster said:
After reading the articles I felt that accurately programing a battery monitor was so complex that there is no way I would get it correct and would be better for me just to use a voltmeter! :unsure:

Any wisdom you folks have about the Smartgauge vs. Victron BMV-712?

Thanks!
Whew, just read those two looong articles. I've read stuff by RC before, and he seems legit. He certainly has some very cool testing gear, and I learned a thing or two as well.

As for wisdom... I dunno, but here are my two cents:

First off, yes, that Smartguage sounds very cool.
Next, a voltmeter is a definite step DOWN from a Victron, as per the articles themselves.
Finally, the Victron will give you great results, even if set to defaults and never adjusted/programmed.

Why? As the article says

1) Folks used to just use voltmeters, and grossly mistreated their batteries, resulting in 2-3 year replacement cycles. Scan the forums, and you will see that a lot of folks here have been in this boat.

2) Folks used to use voltmeters, and assumed that some (nearly random) voltage indicated their batteries were full, when it merely meant the batteries had reached a certain (unknown) SOC that looked healthier to them. As, in my batteries are dead at 12.0 volts and fully charged at 13.0 volts. That resulted in both discharging too deep, and not charging fully later.

RC says that simply using a SOC meter with a shunt like Victron will mean that most folks are getting a MUCH better idea of what is going on, and will get 4-6 years out of their batteries instead of just 2-3.

Can you get more out of them if you use an even better battery monitor and/or regularly test and recalibrate your Victron? Sure. But lets imagine that a good 150AH battery bank deteriorates 10% per year. After 6 years the capacity is only 80AH.

If you typically use 50 AH a day, when new the batteries will be at 67%. After 6 years they will be at 37%, and dying fast. In fact, to not kill the batteries super fast, we should be trying to avoid discharging them more than 50%. In our example of a 150AH battery, that happens after 4 years, when the capacity of the bank has naturally degraded to 98 AH.

That would mean it was time for new batteries anyway, as they bank no longer has enough AH for what you intend to use daily.

The bits that I took out of the articles that I wanted to note:
1) This unit will not work on LiFePo batteries
2) I need to reconfigure my charge efficiency number, since I rarely discharge my batteries below 80% and the charge efficiency drops the higher the SOC
3) I will reconfigure my batteries to 10% less AH capacity annually.
4) As a result of these tweaks, I might get another year or two out of my batteries, and have a better idea of the SOC they are really in.

Thanks for the articles!

Here is the relevant section from the articles:

Smarter Use of Your Battery Monitor
“But RC I have heard you say many times battery monitors generally lead folks to longer battery life, how can that be?”

That is correct and I still actually stand by that statement despite a lack of accurate programming. Let me share some reasons why I can say this…

Reason #1

Prior to having battery monitors many of my customers had simple analog volt meters. Most of these analog volt meters were quite inaccurate and many owners often discharged to well below 12.0V before recharging. They were in essence taking their battery to 70-80% DOD with each cycle.. Battery life for many was the typical 2-3 years we see with abused batteries.

Along comes the Ah counting battery monitor and all of a sudden the owner has a screen to watch, buttons to press and has some insight into the battery that never before existed. A good portion of these customers now started to be really careful about battery depth of discharge (DOD). The 50% DOD they assumed previously, which was really closer to 70 or 80% DOD, now became “Wow I am at 65% SOC I think I will recharge.” Human attention was brought to batteries that never had such a fan base.

Reason #2
Previous to the Ah counting battery monitor most owners had not a clue as to what their alternator or charging systems were doing. They watched voltage and when it got to 14.4V or so they stopped charging. With the battery monitor they could at least hold off until a good portion of the -Ah’s had been returned. Is this accurate? No, not at all, but it resulted in batteries getting to a higher SOC than the owners previously & regularly attained thus leading to overall healthier batteries.

And to add to this, battery aging is more of a function of the number of discharge cycles and depth of discharge per cycle than it is of a simple number of years. According to the spec sheet for my batteries, if I normally keep them at 80% or higher (which I do) then I can expect to get 4000 cycles out of them. That's 4000 days of use... 100 years of 40 days per year. :D
http://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/batteries/S6-275AGM.pdf

If I regularly take them down to 40% (about 12.0v resting voltage), I can expect 1000 cycles. Still a lot of time. But the point is, that realistically, paying attention to your batteries and trying to keep them well charged will give you 2 to 4 TIMES the life out of them.

See also:
https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Thanks for your guidance Vic, it is much appreciated. It took me a long time to get through those articles and there are even more that I am still reading through. He does have some cool testing gear.

I was kind of leaning toward the Smartgauge since one of the most important bits of information would probably be the SOC. Having an accurate SOC without having to sync and adjust the unit constantly might be worth it. Tough call.

However the BMV-712 has far more information and I just read about a neat looking unit from Thornwave Labs as well.

It might come down to cost in the end. $300+ for the Smartgauge is tough to swallow when the Thornwave Labs unit is $90. But then again, a good pair of batteries is expensive and it seems either the BMV-712 or the Smartgauge would pay for itself in a few years. But as you said, by taking care of your batteries with just about any monitor will save them for a lot of use.

If you were setting up a new camper, which one would you lean toward?

Thanks, Vince

When I did my solar I used all victron stuff based on Senor Harders recommendation and its performed flawlessy and I couldn't ask for more.

My .02

crashmaster said:
If you were setting up a new camper, which one would you lean toward?

Thanks, Vince
Hey Vince... that depends on the cash flow situation. The Thornwave might be a great and inexpensive solution if money is tight. IF i were feeling rich I might get the Smartgauge AND the Victron, since the Smartguage only displays SOC. The Victron is useful for troubleshooting and general knowledge about what's going on in the system. PLUS the newer Victron controllers "talk" to the BMV units for a more complete charging/monitoring solution.

AND, I would likely go LiFePo for my batteries, and the Smartgauge doesn't work with those.

In short.... I would go Victron again.

gallery_6362_1070_937290.jpg

Thanks SoCal and Señor Harder. :D Everything you say makes perfect sense to me. I also will eventually go with LiFePo batteries when the 6V deep cycles will need replacing, so a Smartgauge in addition to a Victron probably would not be a smart purchase for me although it would be cool!

Cost on that gear was no object but I blew that when I ordered a FWC Hawk. :unsure: Previously I was camping in my truck cap on top of Decked storage compartments, and I must be getting too old and soft for wet and cold weather camping that way so I ordered a FWC.

It will have the "overland solar" 160W panel and MPPT controller, which looks conspicuously like a re-branded Victron MPPT? Also Vic, from your image (nice install) you have two MPPT controllers. I am assuming the reason is that you have a roof panel and then a different portable panel, and two different panels do not work well with a single MPPT controller? If that is the case I may also need a second MPPT since I have a Renogy 100W portable panel that I will use in addition to the 160W on the roof.

I also must be getting too soft for Alaska winters so I am headed down to the lower 48 and will pick up the FWC in Woodland, CA next month and spend some winter months in San Diego and Baja modifying the new camper. I am really looking forward to getting the FWC and a warm and sunny winter!

Vince

The dual/single controller thing was discussed here somewhere recently... :oops:

Yes, I have two arrays. The 265w panel on the roof has occasionally (twice - it goes limp :( until reset) put out more juice (15A) than my Victron 75/15 can handle. I should have gotten the next size up.

And I have a second 75/15 for the 200w portable array. Other than in testing, I have never used that one.

I will search for that thread. I think I will get a 100/30 Victron, use it for the roof panel and then use the already installed 75/15 for the 100W portable panel. That way I could eventually add another similar 160W roof panel if needed. Thanks again for you help.

Vince

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this unit.
AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A Auto Car Motor Boat Caravan RV Motorhome

• Read your battery bank like a fuel gauge. Battery Status At A Glance.
  • Combines many functions in one, these information leads to more efficient use of the battery, which can enhance battery life and reduce the risk of failure.
  • State of Charge (%),The remaining battery capacity (AH). Charge and discharge current (A), Voltage (V).
  • Charging status indicator, looks like a smartphone.
  • It is suitable for mobile and portable equipments, e-bike, balance cars, cleaning machines, instruments, ups and so on.
It sells for $39 on Amazon,
I have two Renogy 100Ah AGM batteries, with a Renogy100 watt solar panel on my FWC Eagle. All I really want to do is monitor state of charge and remaining capacity when dry camping. I'm sure it isn't as good as the Victron, but then again its only $39. Doing some rough math I determined that I use about 60 amps per day, but I'd like to have a better handle on that without breaking the bank.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom