Battery Question

Optimistic Paranoid

Where exactly is the battery(s) located in an Alaskan Camper? Passenger or driver side? Front of the camper, or the rear?

If I wanted to add another (AGM) battery or two, would there be room in the bed of the truck, forward of the wheel wells? I'm guessing that Alaskan doesn't use that space . . .

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably a year to a year and a half away from having enough money to order a NEW Alaskan, so I'm trying to not bother the factory yet. (Meanwhile, I'm keeping my eyes peeled online for a used 10' non-cabover that might come up for sale.)

While I wait, I'm trying to do any necessary mods to my truck. I consider the wires built in to the plug to be too small to transfer much current from the alternator to the house batteries, So I'd like to run a separate charging wire, say, 2 gauge. I'll need to bring it into the bed at the right place, hence my curiosity on where the company puts the batteries.

OP, I would have said drivers side, outside, forward of wheel because that's what I think I've seen in the past and that would be nearest the electrical panel etc.

From what I remember from my old PU, two end to end might be tight but might be possible if put on an elevated platform to get away from the bottom curve of the wheel housing, this . Easy to size up on your own truck at any rate.

I think a rear outside location is not possible unless specified for build (like a service body application).

However ...in here, about 3/4 way down pic and comments re battery, looks like they are inside:
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/2016-alaskan-camper-review/

and fyi, all Alaskan articles from that site, worth a flip thru:
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tag/alaskan/

We were very close to buying a flatbed AK a few years back. Beautiful campers and seemed a good outfit to do business with. If you want something in particular for your camper talk to them first, they seemed quite willing to accommodate.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
John, there is a potential good deal just listed in the Alaskan discussions.

BTW, the last line in your trailer is classic!
The one in Seattle? Thanks, I saw it.

I'm in upstate NY. I'm 68, and there's a lot more truth in that last line than I'm happy admitting. If I buy a used Alaskan, it's got to be in good-to-go shape, I'm not looking to get involved in a major restoration project. Thanks.

However ...in here, about 3/4 way down pic and comments re battery, looks like they are inside:
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/2016-alaskan-camper-review/

Thanks for pointing those out to me. Hard to tell, but I think Alaskan offers a second battery as an option, and the pictures seem to show one on each side, so can't tell which side they would use for a solo battery. But you're right, they are definitely inside.

Guess I'll have to discuss it with the factory when I place my order.

^ if you were to keep everything internal, single of double. then for the purpose of running a supply wire, the regular hook up location appears to be front wall drivers side (pic #4, article).

Nothing saying you couldn't do it differently tho. flexibility is possible with an Alaskan.

Enjoy your planning !

John....the Alaskan isn't an off-the-shelf item per se, it can be ordered in many configurations. While you may be a year away from ordering one, it will still take time to build it. They will ask you how you want this or that, what layout you prefer, if you want power to the roof vents for a possible powered fan at some point in time, etc.

Where the batteries will go may be dependent on which side of the engine bay the hookups for your camper batteries are located, all kinds of stuff. So, with that in mind, you first need to haunt Craigslist every week, I suggest you check Seattle and Portland on alternating searches, search San Francisco and search Los Angeles. CL is funny about the searches. I look for "Alaskan Camper" then "Alaskan Cabover" then I look for combinations in the search pattern of 1) with pic 2) in the title and 3) I check ALL the near boxes and then I check none. This takes time, but you would be surprised what you find listed in one search pattern that does not show up in another!

As you go through them, create your data base for each year, starting from 2018, 2017 and back a couple years. It is possible to find an immaculate camper that has been stored indoors and not really used/abused that way.

There just aren't many off the West Coast it seems or even in Canada.

Each sub-file is for another set of pics posted by a seller with an eye to getting the LAYOUT you want. Beyond that, monitoring the WTW for the intricacies of solar power and batteries, 'fridge options, ovens, toilets, etc. goes on and on.

By the time you are ready to purchase yours, you will actually have seen what works and heard from those who are ordering them what features are must-haves or no-so-needed.

Just remember, if you go for a 10 Ft. CO or even an 8 Ft. CO (or the NCO) you should be driving at least an F-250 or a GM version of the 3/4 ton trucks. You have to decide if you want a 4-door or one with a smaller jump seat extended cab as the turning radius is huge for the 155" WB trucks (an 8' truck tub is a necessity).

"Knowledge is Power"....and it saves you money to learn from the guys/gals here on the WTW!

Thank you for the advice. I believe I'll have to start looking at the west coast CLs.

Already have my truck, a 2012 F250 4x4, 6.2 gas, 50,000 miles on it, crew cab with an 8 foot bed. And, yeah, as the old truck driving song said: "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around" :)

John...just a heads up...the "older" Alaskans needed raising up in the bed to clear the side rails of the truck bed and the "newer" trucks seem to have a narrower tailgate on them so if your camper is wider at the rear than between the wheelwells, you would have to modify the camper to get it in there.

You can ask those in the Alaskan forum when the changes were made so you can better decide on one if you see a nice one ….and if it will fit without some modifications. My 88 F-250 has shorter bed rails so no problem for my camper.

You can check around, but I think the Reico-Titan jacks ( get 4 of them) are the best/safest mounting/dismounting jacks. They can run about $900 I hear. With them mounted, the Happijac system or drilling holes in the floor are the two best options for securing to the truck. The Happijacs need a bracket bolted to the front corner and a "stud" preferably on each rear bumper corner and then you can use the Reico-Titan brackets bolted to the camper corners to secure it.

Check out the Alaskan factory FOR SALE page.....you never know when some nearly new camper will pop up at a steep discount from a seller.

Thank you.

Yes, I've heard that newer trucks have higher sidewalls than the older trucks did, and that to put an older camper in one, you need to build a raised platform in the bed. I HADN'T heard about the narrowing of the tailgate. That's useful to know.

I've been checking the Alaskan FOR SALE page every day.

Back
Top Bottom