Battery question

randygirl

Hi all! It's been a long time.. No travels this summer. Got a new (to me) truck and needed some funds. Looking forward to summer of 2014!! My 2002 Hawk still has the optima blue top it came with! Looking for a new battery. Have a 120w solar panel. I was thinking if going to the yellow top, but have heard mixed reviews. What do you think of sears??

I just added two of the Die Hard Platinum batteries listed in this post. I have not, however, hooked them up in tandem yet. Spent this past weekend out at the lake, day temps in the 40's, night temps mid to low 20's. Ran the furnace non-stop from 8pm to 8am both Fri and Sat night off of just one battery. Plus lights, but those are now LED, so very small amp draw. Batteries seem to be great, and priced similar to competitive makes/models. My '84 Hawk does not have fridge, still deciding to keep ice box, convert to fridge, or convert space to pantry.

Late September trip was same story, but switched batteries after one night. Ran one battery Fri, switched to second battery on Sat. Once home, hooked up charger, which has % battery life indicator, both batteries at 85%+.

That will most likely be the battery I go with. I run an Engel fridge, led lights, and the fantastic fan from t. I DO NOT have the battery seperator thing hooked up. So, my truck will not charge the battery. Hoping the solar will be enough. Won't find Out until next summer.
The battery is $260.99 right now. Wonder if t will go down more.

I use the same Sears battery with the Blue Top as a backup....I rarely need the backup, maybe once a year if parked for over a week in cloudy Winter weather.

randygirl said:
Wonder when they will go on sale!?!? Maybe around Christmas?
I wish I knew. I just checked my invoice. I purchased it on 22 August 2012. It was an online sale for $209.99. I paid for it on line and picked it up (no shipping charges) at a sears automotive center in a big mall. They were on sale for $230 about a month ago. I was looking for how much it would cost me to get one for our new camper.

ski3pin said:
I wish I knew. I just checked my invoice. I purchased it on 22 August 2012. It was an online sale for $209.99. I paid for it on line and picked it up (no shipping charges) at a sears automotive center in a big mall. They were on sale for $230 about a month ago. I was looking for how much it would cost me to get one for our new camper.

I'm sure. After the recall on the seperator last year, I realized I never had it hooked up right in the first place. So, when I got the new truck , I haven't bothered to try to figure out how to wire it!

I wired mine myself, no seperator so I know it charges (also can tell by the voltmeter) but there is a downside. If you're working on the truck and you disconnect both batteries you still need to disconnect the camper battery. Don't ask me how I learned that one :)

I have two of the same battery that Ski3pin has....they are great.

randygirl, why not hook up your charging system again? You will need it during times of stormy weather (no sunshine).

Back
Top Bottom