Battery

chnlisle

Post Master
I just returned from Anza Borrego early. Overnight temps were in the teens and surprise! surprise! my 7 year old battery died in the middle of the night after a full charge. So I froze my butt off and came home early. Its time to put a new one in but which new one? Any suggestions on amp hours, group, and type?
Jay

Check RV or boat stores.

I have a group 29 deep cycle battery that I got from a boat store (sold for trolling motors) and It's been used for about 3 years, and every thing from 100+ to -30 temps and it works great!

Optima's are nice, but they are pricey and to get a good amount of amp hours you have to get a couple.

I prefer the interstate gel battery becouse it seams to hold up well and does not put off the fumes that a acid filled does and has quite a bit more amp hours than the optima blue top. they cost more than a standard battery but i think they are worth it in the long run. have a good day. marty

I use an optima blue top next to the water tank. Don't have to worry about fumes or leakage with an agm battery. I use a marine battery switch so I can either run off just the camper battery, or just the truck batteries or both. For weekend trips I dont bother to switch it. Running the heater, lights, tv I've never been able to put more than a dent in the battery over a weekend. Of course my truck, being a diesel, did come with two pretty large batteries.

Pricey? Yes but, theres huge markup on those batteries. If you know how you can get them for half the usual list price. Still pricey but I would never put a wet cell battery in my camper.

Batteries

The optima batteries are great as far as long term goes. The discharge rate is very low on them when they are left unattended. Only draw back to them is the limited amp hours that they have.

The Interstate brand sealed battery has half again as many amp hours as the optima but a quicker discharge rate when left unattended. With an Interstate you will have to trickle charge the battery from time to time when you are not using it to keep it in shape.

If you need to know the exact number of the batteries that we are currently using, just let me know.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Back
Top Bottom