Be careful out there... and have insurance

XJINTX

Headed to the Gulf coast yesterday for a week of fun. I pull my little Trekmate Trailer on these trips to haul extra gear. Guy pulled out and hit the trailer... think it's totaled :( Luckily did not hit my truck or the FWC. So now I need to find a replacement. Only want to haul gear and Kayak or bikes with it.

Attachments

• reducedsize.jpg
    reducedsize.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 229
Any time your trailer is significantly narrower than your towing vehicle and especially if it's fairly short this becomes a bigger risk because people can't see it until the last second when you are coming toward them. This can be a problem for entering side traffic, oncoming left turners, passing situations, etc. Maybe consider what you can do to improve the trailer's visibility to other cars as you approach.

Glad they missed your truck and you were able to keep control. How did the hitch on the truck hold up?

Sorry to see that. Where did he pull out from that he hit you on the drivers side? Was there a full gas can in that can holder that was hit? Did you lose a lot of your trailer contents? Your "No Bad Days" sticker didn't save you from having one. It looks like the other guys insurance should pay.

I rolled my offroad trailer in Baja three years ago. I took a right curve a little too fast , pulled back and dropped my right front tire off the pavement, pulled it back left and ended up fighting for control. The trailer had a mind of it's own and ended up opening up and throwing it's contents all over the road. I was just lucky I didn't roll my truck and camper. My trailer ended up upright so I was able to load it back up and head home after putting on my spare due to a bent wheel. Turned out it was a total also. The Mexican insurance paid but didn't cover the contents (Honda generator, 2 mountain bikes, inflatable boat, ARB fridge, etc).

Good luck! I feel your pain.

Kolockum said:
Glad they missed your truck and you were able to keep control. How did the hitch on the truck hold up?
Just by eyeball Hitch on truck looks OK. I have a Lock n Roll hitch on trailer and it held up fine. Will wait and see if adjuster even comes to see? Looks like most done online with pics. Might take somewhere just to look at the hitch but will see.

camper rich said:
Sorry to see that. Where did he pull out from that he hit you on the drivers side? Was there a full gas can in that can holder that was hit? Did you lose a lot of your trailer contents? Your "No Bad Days" sticker didn't save you from having one. It looks like the other guys insurance should pay.

I rolled my offroad trailer in Baja three years ago. I took a right curve a little too fast , pulled back and dropped my right front tire off the pavement, pulled it back left and ended up fighting for control. The trailer had a mind of it's own and ended up opening up and throwing it's contents all over the road. I was just lucky I didn't roll my truck and camper. My trailer ended up upright so I was able to load it back up and head home after putting on my spare due to a bent wheel. Turned out it was a total also. The Mexican insurance paid but didn't cover the contents (Honda generator, 2 mountain bikes, inflatable boat, ARB fridge, etc).

Good luck! I feel your pain.
He was at a stop sign... the road that crossed mine was stop sign in either direction. I saw him stopped there from a ways down the road. He pulled out as I passed hitting trailer.. My road is constant flashing yellow lights in both directions. He pushed trailer over to passenger side and it hit bumper of truck stopped at that stop sign. Only scratch on Ranch hand bumper. I have it on dashcam video not sure what he was thinking? Was nice young guy hauling horse trailer. On the passenger side was MFC Water carrier with 5 gal, my CO2 Setup in aluminum mount. Both mounts broke and the water and CO2 were thrown to road. On opposite side I had % gal Gasoline mounted with same mount and an ammo can with oil and such... both stayed attached. Worse thing was the top getting broken off :( gear inside spilled onto road too.

XJINTX said:
<snip>

I have it on dashcam video not sure what he was thinking? Was nice young guy hauling horse trailer.
He was probably already at his destination in his mind. It's a common ailment we can all fall victim to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom