Be Safe Out There

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
There have been several posts lately on WTW about safety, stupid mistakes, Stolpas, and weather. These topics can be tied together with the common thread of decision making. We're all human. As I get older, and maybe I've seen a lot over the years, more and more I stress the importance of recognizing we are not immune, even the most experienced, to making poor decisions. Here's a little glimpse at my world. This time of year, avalanche hazard awareness in the backcountry becomes the dominant theme in emails popping up in my inbox. This came this morning -

It's been many years but the Lady and I have skied in this area, so it sends shivers up the spine. This is one lucky individual. We can learn much from his honesty about the decision making process.

And Stew, there's some great rime in the video!

If folks haven't been through Circle A training, that's a good course to take. It helps us make informed decisions...

Thanks for the video and reminder!

Edit: Looks like ski patrol doesn't call it Circle A training anymore. Just Avalanche Awareness Training. I did see that they recommend the Jill Fredston and Doug Fesler text. Knowledgeable people.

Wow, very interesting and informative video; thanks, 3pin. And great rime, which is very common in the Oregon mountains, by the way. I too know that area--Three Sisters, Broken Top (below) and Mt Bachelor-- well from my Eugene days.

gallery_172_110_3018.jpg

Interesting video. Thanks, Ski. Where I live, the terrain is more Nordic, not Alpine, so I don't often think about avalanches. It's good to be educated about this for when I travel to Colorado (or elsewhere) mountains. I'll follow this thread with interest.

Where hasn't Stew been?

Great video, Ski. It shows me how much even experts can let their guard down.
Be safe out there!

Lighthawk said:
Where hasn't Stew been?
I have been in three avalanches: on Hoodoo Butte, OR; on Mt Owens, WY; and Mt Stuart, WA. Only on Mt Owen did I think I might die but instead of being swept over a cliff, I was stopped in some rocks and only some snow I was travelling with went over the cliff.

Be careful out there!

That is a classic, Taku. I am appreciating that there is more and more emphasis on decision making. I remember my first avalanche hazard awareness class so many years ago. I wanted everything cut and dried, black and white. I wanted definitive answers from stability tests that clearly said "go" or "no go." Its not a black and white world. Most times the evidence is in the yellow light area and it comes down to your decision.

Stew, were you one of the regulars at Hoodoo? When we moved up from the Rogue Valley, Hoodoo became my home mountain. More pinheads and less Lycra than Hood.

Kinda tough to ski Hoodoo this year so far:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/home/1580566-151/hoodoo-not-open-yet-waiting-on-snow

Yes let us all be careful in our travels. While avalanches are iconically associated with skiers, any travel or occupation of areas where snow, terrain and weather conditions line up are at risk of being involved in an avalanche.

Thanks for the video posting. I'll be sharing this at work tomorrow.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Stew, were you one of the regulars at Hoodoo? When we moved up from the Rogue Valley, Hoodoo became my home mountain. More pinheads and less Lycra than Hood.
W.S., I was skiing at Hoodoo in the mid-to-late '70s, which may have been even before the Lycra era . . . I used my 3pins and an early American-made randonnee/Alpine-touring binding, the Ramer.

After checking my trusty DeLorme, the avalanche was not actually at Hoodoo Butte (or in the ski area), but just across the entrance road on Hayrick Butte.

LuckyDan said:
Yes let us all be careful in our travels. While avalanches are iconically associated with skiers, any travel or occupation of areas where snow, terrain and weather conditions line up are at risk of being involved in an avalanche
Yes, the three avalanche that I have personal experience with were not while skiing. All three were in climbing/mountaineering contexts. Thanks for noting that, Dan.

Craig, I've not heard of that particular converter :D ... BC/tele is a bit obscure, but not hard to learn. After the first few thousand falls :oops: , it comes naturally, as do a few new words of profanity.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Craig, I've not heard of that particular converter :D ... BC/tele is a bit obscure, but not hard to learn. After the first few thousand falls :oops: , it comes naturally, as do a few new words of profanity.
One day the Lady said, "We're getting to be better skiers!"
"How do you know?" I asked.
"Because we don't fall anymore. Now we crash!"

Doug Stewart said:
I have been in three avalanches: on Hoodoo Butte, OR; on Mt Owens, WY; and Mt Stuart, WA. Only on Mt Owen did I think I might die but instead of being swept over a cliff, I was stopped in some rocks and only some snow I was travelling with went over the cliff.

Be careful out there!
Holy Crap, Stew! Three is three too many! Glad you're still here with us to share your Stewisdom! :giggle:

camelracer said:
This is my kind of downhill. Don't have to put up with that cold white crap.

True, there is no white stuff but on that terrain, if I were present, there could be a LANDslide at any moment. :D

Back
Top Bottom