Bears, Food, and Campers?

I'm not saying you are wrong, just a bit further on the wiping side than most :D I would benefit from being more like you but never eating in the truck isn't for me. Love bears, my worry about them are my dogs. These are Canadian bears (not the last ones but they are in Canada).
554615904_KiWkJ-S.jpg

554614896_iVxqL-S.jpg

554589906_cYgkB-S.jpg

554601747_ibCzA-S.jpg

We seem to be losing our sense of humor around here lately. It must be the holidays. And Mickey replied "I didn't say she was crazy I said she was Fu***ng Goofy."

I was trying to be humorous. More seriously, how I keep my camp really depends on where I am. Remember most of us are dry camping. I've found as long as you stay away from developed campgrounds bears aren't much of a problem. And if I am in a developed campground I'll use the bear boxes and keep a cleaner camp. Not quite to W.T. standards, but no food left out.

I used to work as a backcounty Ranger during summers in the Sierras way back. One of my jobs was to inspect peoples campsites, and to check if they were using bear canisters. Bear canisters are mandatory for backpackers and I thought that if they made a bigger one, it would work great for car campers to store food in one. The problem is where you keep your food container. Doesnt make sense to store your food in your camper in bear country. I suggest, always using a food locker when one is available. Just throw your cooler in. If one is not available, then I would not stray too far from your camper and always keep your camp clean.
I have seen people use small drums that require a screw driver to remove the lid, guides in AK use them, but they are not too practical for car camping. The Yeti coolers look like a good product, but way too expensive. We need a good bear container that is practical for car campers.
Stories? How about waking up in your tent with a bear on your doorstep. Not sure who was more scared, but that Black bear jumped when I rolled out of my sleeping bag.

During a private "fly-in" fishing excursion in the Alaskan wilderness, the chartered pilot and fishermen left a cooler and bait in the plane. And a bear smelled it. This is what he did to the plane.

The pilot used his radio and had another pilot bring him 2 new tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a supply of sheet plastic. He patched the plane together, and FLEW IT HOME!!!

Attachments

• AP2.jpg
    AP2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 336
  • AP3.jpg
    AP3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 361
  • AP4.jpg
    AP4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 368
  • AP5.jpg
    AP5.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 378
  • APR.jpg
    APR.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 314
The real stuff only comes on the solo trips. Even then I usually save a piece to rub on fellow camper's car if they crank their stereo in camp. ;)

Cari and I've used the YETI in black bear country in our PNW area without any issues. We try to keep a clean camp and leave nothing out to temp the locals. I'm confident that the YETI could withstand a bear's curiosity. Half the time i need to re-group and concentrate on getting the thing open myself. And i don't indulge in _spirits_. A root beer is about as strong as i get!

: )
Thom

I agree with not leaving food out for the critters. An old cowboy taught me the trick of leaving an uncapped bottle of ammonia in my vehicle while backpacking. I'm either lucky or it works, because I've never had a problem.

I agree with not leaving food out for the critters. An old cowboy taught me the trick of leaving an uncapped bottle of ammonia in my vehicle while backpacking. I'm either lucky or it works, because I've never had a problem.

That might work but how does your rig smell after your return and how many days does it take air it out? :)

Stew

That might work but how does your rig smell after your return and how many days does it take air it out? :)

Stew

I've found the ammonia fumes dissapate immediately, even after being inside a locked car for four days. No noticeable smell afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom