Bed Ideas

Chukar Hunter

I have an 07 hawk with the extended cab over bed and I am looking for advice on a more comfortable bed. I never use the pull-out and save space by not having the extra cushion and I don't need the whole Queen size. Has anyone changed to differant mattres? It seems like this topic has been discussed before but I could not find a thread.
Thanks in advance for your input.

We put a piece of 1" memory foam on top of the big factory cushion. It makes it much more comfy. We have the king pull out and sleep heads forward. I can't feel any bump under my back and we can leave the foam up there with the top down.

I'm thinking along that line myself. Saw some memory foam mattress toppers for a reasonable price, and might just order one. Damn mattress in my Hawk is very hard.

We have a 08 extended cab over bed and the 1" memory foam made all the differance in world for us as well,works great. We leave it up there as well when we put it down or travel.

Agree with jcfly...the foam is HARD. Our former '87 Westy had the same thickness foam, but was MUCH softer. In both situations, we added a regular egg-crate foam...we found the memory foam we tried compressed too much.

keith & Canuck: I'm surprised that the 1" topper does the job for you. I was looking at 2" thickness, even if I have to take it down after sleeping. I guess whatever works.........

Hey, here is a site for foam.I found them to easy and cost affective for my Granby seats. Good luck,sleep is important! http://foambymail.com

Everyone complains about the hard beds. I took it a step further, but taking out the hard factory mattress and getting a 1.5" memory foam pad at WalMart. then I got a regular foam cushion that was 3" think. The factory bed is only 4", but when you change to the memory foam/regular foam combo, the memory foam compresses slightly and fits just fine although it is .5 inch thicker than the factory. The 2 new mattresses fit just fine in the cover that came with the bed. New bed is a 100% improvement over what came with my Hawk.

I was just looking at a 3" queen memory foam topper at costco for $147, was thinking of swapping out the 4 inch hard foam for 3" memory but sounds like that might squish too much. I like the 3" and 1" memory foam idea. Has anyone swapped the bed out completely for a memory foam topper?

I don't know if it is true but I have read some stuff about memory foam when it gets cold it truns into a brick.

I don't know if it is true but I have read some stuff about memory foam when it gets cold it truns into a brick.

After reading this by PVSTOY I did some reading online that confirmed that memory foam gets harder as the temperature gets lower. Have any of you that are using it experienced this problem?

Another option is a down feather bed, nice and toasty when it's cold. Down side is that it is obviously not as dense as memory foam. Still able to lower the top with it up there.

Found this on Walmart.com, I'm not the biggest fan of shopping there but this is a pretty good deal:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4569413

2.5 inches of high density foam and 1.5 inches of memory foam. Reviews say it's great (although they are all using it on top of their bed not as their bed) one says it measures more like 3 - 3 1/2" so there could still be potential to put an inch of the original foam underneath it and still be able to drop the top. At $130 for a queen it is a pretty reasonable bed replacement since just replacing the original foam would cost $215 or so.

I was just looking at a 3" queen memory foam topper at costco for $147, was thinking of swapping out the 4 inch hard foam for 3" memory but sounds like that might squish too much. I like the 3" and 1" memory foam idea. Has anyone swapped the bed out completely for a memory foam topper?

Yes. I did precisely this and have been very pleased with the result.

Okay,

I just picked up a 4" memory foam bed topper. 2.5" of regular foam and 1.5" memory foam. We are heading out tomorrow morning, I think it is still off gassing a bit too much to put in the camper, would probably give us a headache so we will have to try it out on the next trip. I'll report on it once we really try it out, but so far it feels great on the living room floor!

OK, just had to try this. Found a 2" topper for short money, and placed the order. I'll be sure to post the results after trying it out a few nights.

A winner! The 2' topper made the mattress much more comfortable. Only had to trim 2 1/2' off for a proper fit.

Never tried the memory foam but we found the most comfort for these 65 year old bones by removing the cushions and putting in a Coleman inflatable queen size air mattress. You have to cover it with a comforter or use sleeping bags to keep the cold from bleeding thru. Not a great permanent solution. You will spring a leak at some point
in time. Inflating is somewhat of a hassle. Also tried a self-inflating pad on top of the cushion(s) but that didn't make much difference.

It certainly does. My daughter uses a memory foam pillow all the time and if left in the cab it turns semi rock like. In the camper it has been fine, usually keep the temps around 50 at night, might be an issue in the 30's.

I have an 07 hawk with the extended cab over bed and I am looking for advice on a more comfortable bed. I never use the pull-out and save space by not having the extra cushion and I don't need the whole Queen size. Has anyone changed to differant mattres? It seems like this topic has been discussed before but I could not find a thread.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I have two different set ups for mattresses: when I don't want to pull out the full bed I inflate a single size canvas air mattress I purchased while in Europe, when I do pull out for a full bed, I purchased a double size air mattress from Walmart. In either case both lay flat for storage and allows for my down bag and pillows etc. The air mattresses allow me to adjust the soft or hardness I want, depending on how I am feeling. You can purchase an inexpensive inflator/deflator from Walmart which you can plug in and get all the air out of the mattress. Walmart has alot of good/inexpensive camping accessories, especially if you look in their RV section.

Back
Top Bottom