bedboard

Addie

Advanced Member
I just found a deal on an older Keystone that has the dimensions to fit my tailgate 60" and will fit the length with the tailgate down.. prob need a riser to fit the cabover, BUT it needs the bed board replaced. I have some tools and knowledge in carpentry. I drive up to see it on Sunday. fingers crossed that, that is the worse of the damage.. this one.. is it going to be worth the work/frustration? Or should I keep looking for a Hawk or Cougar that actually fits my truck..

I just found a deal on an older Keystone that has the dimensions to fit my tailgate 60" and will fit the length with the tailgate down.. prob need a riser to fit the cabover, BUT it needs the bed board replaced. I have some tools and knowledge in carpentry. I drive up to see it on Sunday. fingers crossed that, that is the worse of the damage.. this one.. is it going to be worth the work/frustration? Or should I keep looking for a Hawk or Cougar that actually fits my truck..

I have replaced one on an '80's Grandby. It was fairly difficult for me to install the new board because the aluminum frame is welded around it during manufacturing and there isn't sufficient clearance to simply slide the new one in place.

I loosened or removed everything I possibly could on the inside and had to spread the walls apart a total of 2 inches before I could barely slip the new board into position.

Some people have resorted to splitting the new board into two sections. That would make it much easier, but I still prefer to use a one piece board.

If the bed board is the only problem with the camper, then it sounds like a good price to me.

Here is a post with excellent information about different types of plywood, laminates, sealants, and installation options.

http://www.wanderthe...php?/topic/165/

Hey Addie

what kind of truck do you have ?

a short bed with 6.5' feet long ?

1/2 ton truck or a 3/4 ton truck ?

the Keystone is LONG for a short bed truck.

and kind of big and heavy for a 1/2 ton truck.

The guy selling the camper isn't showing how far it is sticking out on his short bed.

just my 2 cents worth

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 178
Hey Addie

what kind of truck do you have ?

a short bed with 6.5' feet long ?

1/2 ton truck or a 3/4 ton truck ?

the Keystone is LONG for a short bed truck.

and kind of big and heavy for a 1/2 ton truck.

The guy selling the camper isn't showing how far it is sticking out on his short bed.

just my 2 cents worth

I have a '99 F250 7.3L CrewCab, my box is 80"x63" wheel well 50" and tailgate opening of 60" Im leary of putting that long of a camper on my truck, but I dont go offroad much-just dirt roads to fish

Back
Top Bottom