Bedliner question

randygirl

This will be the 3rd truck my camper (2002 Hawk) has been on. First truck had a rhino liner, second had lineX. This third truck is a bare bed. We will need to put something on it. Which do y'all have and like?

The floor squeaked on my first Tacoma without a rubber bed mat because the rails on bed run parallel to the "joists" on the camper. Jacked it up slid in the mat...problem solved. Buy a good thick one though - 3/8" - 5/16".

Thanks Harv....half inch sounds right NOT 3/8 ths or 5/16 ths.

randygirl said:
So, do you just put that on the floor of the bed and the camper sits on it? Do you need to glue it down?
Yes, it sits on the floor of the bed and camper on top. No need to glue. There is enough grip that it keeps the camper from moving. i love it because I just eliminated 50#'s of weight. Some people have used this instead of wood to adjust the clearance height of the camper. There are various thickness available but the thinest is 1/2".

on my 05 Tundra and 2013 ATC Ocelot I have a rubber mat that I got with a used Nissan about 18 years ago. Still flexible and working well!

I have been using a bed mat on my F150, worked well. Now have installed my hawk in my new F250 with a bed mat. They seem to work well. Keep the camper from shifting, also add some insulation to bottom of camper. They also cost less than a spray in bed liner. I had a option to order my new truck with a spray in liner or use a mat. I chose the mat.

I have a Hawk in a 1999 Chevrolet Step-side I used a stall mat purchased at a local feed store normally used for Horse trailer's or in a barn stall. 4 feet wide and 6 feet long. They stay in place very firm and strong.

We're getting a Hallmark installed into our Dodge Ram 2500 that was previously owned by a construction foreman. The bed is gouged badly all over so we're really not looking to protect anything from visible wear and tear by spraying on a bed liner - we simply want the camper to stay put and not squeak.
So we're thinking probably a bed mat would be the best/ most cost effective solution.
What's the consensus between this:
http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/75A3665A0A0.aspx
and this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-Squared-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-36L/100320356 ?
As per the above postings, the first is a rubber mat made to custom fit our truck bed, but is thinner (3/8 inch) and more expensive ($100).
The second is just a big rectangular foam board which you cut to shape. It's thicker (1/2 inch) and costs just $15.

So, should we do a spray-on liner (would lean toward Line-X if we did, but that would set us back around $500, which we would love to spend elsewhere), vs thin model-specific rubber bed mat, vs thicker foam sheet floor to be cut to fit?

Gotta make the decision soon, would appreciate help from folks who got it right or didn't.
Thanks.
- Dave

We went with a mat. The rhino liner on the first truck was the better one cause it had more grip. The line-x on the second truck was more slick. Didn't have much grab. This truck we went with a rubber mat and it's perfect. We put the bolts thru it on the bed so it's permanently bolted into place.

i prefer RhinoLiner to LineX because it has a more rubbery content. LineX can get slick in some situations or damage stuff hauled in the bed with out wrapping it first in a moving blancket. i was glad the last truck i bought didnt have the factory LineX done yet, so i could get RhinoLiner. camper has never moved on that stuff in my current truck or my old one with it.

Rubber bed mats are the next best option and definately cheaper, make sure you clean under then occasionally though--like th eold plastic bedliners that promoted rust

I used a rubber mat for a year or two, but they will get water/moisture trapped underneath. Didn't like that.

cwd

FWC doesn't like separate bed liners. We went with a heavy cargo mat (about 1/4" thick) and it seems to have performed well.

Steve

I'm real happy with what I got, which is nothing. It cost nothing and I have not noticed any issues not having a mat. When I took my camper off the truck to install my gray water
tank, there was no damage to the truck.

Back
Top Bottom