Beginning my FWC search.

SmkSignals

Advanced Member
Hi Everyone. First post here. I am beginning my search for a Four Wheel Camper set up. I currently have a travel trailer for family camping and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for off roading and tent camping, either by myself or with my daughter. I would like to sell them both and get a pickup with a FWC. I will decide on the right FWC first, then shop for the proper truck. Definitely going to be a 4WD. I am leaning towards a 2nd gen Dodge Ram, probably a 5.9 gasser.

My first question is what is the weight limit for the front overhang sleeping area? I have searched for this but could not find an answer. I imagine the Grandby has a higher limit than the other models being the front overhang is shorter.

Also can a person 6'2" 220lbs sleep comfortably on the sofa bed in a short bed camper?

Thanks for the help !! I am sure I will have more questions for this thread.

- Kurt T.

My son is the same weight and does just fine on the lower couch/bd of my Grandby, though he would prefer firmer foam. The foam in my upper bed seems much firmer, perhaps because is is not used as often.

The overhang on a Grandby could be ordered standard lenght and extended length. I think now extended lenght is all they offer. We have the extended lenght and if you count the dog up there as well, pushing 600 lbs. total. No issues whatsoever.

As for the couch, we have the older style (not the roll over they offer now). At 5'9", it's a tight fit on length. I could do it but not a lot. At your height, you're likely not going to be comfortable unless you sleep curled up.

Make sure whatever you buy truck wise, you get at least a 3/4 ton. If you get a loaded Grandby, which will one of the heaviest models, you will be over the GVW of a 1/2 ton truck. With our 3/4 ton, we are just at the limits when loaded up with the wife and dog.

Hope that helps.

I am leaning towards a 2nd gen Dodge Ram, probably a 5.9 gasser.

I think the 2gen gassers were thirsty critters, even moreso than the Hemi. Might want to take that into consideration...

Thanks for the posts so far. I was thinking a 1/2 ton would be ok, but more more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a 3/4 ton. I would like a gas rig but MPG will not be very favorable. I am also torn between a short bed camper and long bed camper. I would like the extra space in the 8' camper but is a long bed wheel base sufficient for moderate trails??

Back
Top Bottom